Hardware Problems

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Well i built a new system (athlon 64 3500+ with 1 gig ram and a gigabyte motherboard) and a q-tech gold power supply. Everything fine until the damn power supply fried the system :( after i had bought the power supply i read in a magazine a letter about someones q-tech power supply blowing there system and the editor said he did not recommend them as he has had many stories from people about them well q-tech power supplies suck and thats my opinion. well i was fortunate that only the board was blown and not everything else so be warned. So i went out and bought an asus board as i cant be without my pc for that long so i will send the board back. I had the board and chip checked at a local pc shop and the guy didnt lock the heatsink right when he put it back on and being a professional i trusted he had so booted up and nothing happened so i noticed the heatsing was not locked down on one side so i locked it in place. Suddenly after 15 minuted the system sprang to life, might have been a memory module problem, not sure and i was lucky his incompetence did not fry the chip. Anyone else like to add to this?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
s*t*a*r*m*a*n said:
Well i built a new system (athlon 64 3500+ with 1 gig ram and a gigabyte motherboard) and a q-tech gold power supply. Everything fine until the damn power supply fried the system :( after i had bought the power supply i read in a magazine a letter about someones q-tech power supply blowing there system and the editor said he did not recommend them as he has had many stories from people about them well q-tech power supplies suck and thats my opinion. well i was fortunate that only the board was blown and not everything else so be warned. So i went out and bought an asus board as i cant be without my pc for that long so i will send the board back. I had the board and chip checked at a local pc shop and the guy didnt lock the heatsink right when he put it back on and being a professional i trusted he had so booted up and nothing happened so i noticed the heatsing was not locked down on one side so i locked it in place. Suddenly after 15 minuted the system sprang to life, might have been a memory module problem, not sure and i was lucky his incompetence did not fry the chip. Anyone else like to add to this?
NLOLAA )(-red - my 450W Qtec power supply (5 months old) died a few days ago after only a few days use. Kept just shutting down during the boot process. Couldn't be bothered sending it back to Overclockers, as they insisted I pay the postage both ways, and threatened to charge me £20 testing fee if it wasn't faulty. Been there before. Not worth it on a £15 PSU. Dumped it and bought a cheap 300W Mercury PSU to test my board is OK. Still waiting to get a chance to check it out. Hope my board is OK. Think it is, as it'll fire for a few seconds each time.

Actually got an email from Qtec support, but they wouldn't help other than state that I had a 12 month wanranty.

Qtec suck? You bet.

I shall be cutting the leads off my Qtec for spares, and ripping out the two fans as well. The rest will make a nice plant pot.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Sorry to hear you psu blew up BgonnaStick, i know how you feel. You want my burned out q-tech psu? then you could have a matching pair :D
Definately a pattern emerging here.

raggytash

Reaction score
Also had problems with these q tech supplies, you live and learn, i wouldnt recomend them or be using them in the future stay well clear.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I have a QTech 300W power supply and I’m not that impressed with it.

I bought it locally when I needed one in a hurry, it only does 14 amps on the 3.3v rail, my old 250W one did that. This means that the 3.3V output normally runs at about only 3.1v.

That said it hasn’t blown up yet :) and in total it has seen well over 200 days continuous usage.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
s*t*a*r*m*a*n said:
You want my burned out q-tech psu? then you could have a matching pair.
Mmmm, bookends maybe?

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
What makes it even worse for all of us, is that the rest of the components can also be distroyed at the same time.

One poorly designed supply = £15.00 quid one very complete system = £300+ up in smoke.

Simple rule dump the power supply and buy somthing decent before you ever turn the system on.

I wonder how all of the other components ever pass a Accelerated life test prior to thier release at the manufacture, but then they know that we will just buy new again dont they.

Regards to all

Old Satellite