Has the Dreambox 500-S receiver got a Dragon embedded?

TVDX

Reaction score
Website
bitent.cjb.net
I know there is a dedicated Dreambox forum but my question is more Dragon cam based and thus I have posted here.

Upon reading the technical specifications of the Dreambox 500-S receiver, I notice that the site I have viewed it has listed that it has a "Dragon" type cam embedded.

Will I be able to use a Sky Digital card in this machine as I would with a seperate Dragon cam and CI receiver?.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You can install any of the software CAMs that are available for the Dreambox 500 series. Don't believe any come with the original image.

At present some of these CAMs allow a S*y card to be used in the box. It has to have been set up in a paired receiver before this can be done.

TVDX

Reaction score
Website
bitent.cjb.net
Gameboy, if I got this receiver, how would I go about loading up Dragon cam with latest predator software?.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
TVDX said:
Gameboy, if I got this receiver, how would I go about loading up Dragon cam with latest predator software?.

You would download an alternative image from the Internet.

Load that using an ftp application.

If your Dreambox is attached to the Internet through a network hub some images then allow you to download CAMs using the remote. The faster the connection the better.

You can also download other essential items to access additional services ;-)

All is done in software which emulates the CAMs and cards.

You could download the software CAMs and use official cards.

Remember that nobody can guarantee what channels will be available or for how long.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
... and I should just like to reiterate what has been said... the Dreambox contains NO CAM of any description, just allows software to execute which will emulate a generic Multi-CAM. Forget the Dragon concept, although of course you can also plug a real Dagon CAM into the CI slot on the front panel!

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S, movable dish 1m pointing at 13E, 5E and 4W. The Gemini Project 2.90 Image in Flash. No multi-boot.
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
Yep, you can indeed put in the CI slot of your DB a Dragon Cam, like I did today. Works perfect. But there is absolutely no need to do it. Dreambox rocks without any cams !!!

I did it just for test and aducational purpose.

Sput

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Mmm, you know, sometimes the Dragon will do stuff the DB won't... :(

At least in the short term...

sputnick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000S, movable dish 1m pointing at 13E, 5E and 4W. The Gemini Project 2.90 Image in Flash. No multi-boot.
My Location
Belgium - Brussels
Yeah right ... DB rocks

Like scotch on the rocks,

Lol, hey, its preatty cool

Anyways, Dragon is damn good aswell.