Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Interesting info from the DS forum. Posted by member mrmt32
In order to make testing ExPVR easier, I have an SATA -> eSATA cable running from inside my box which I connect to an external hard drive (which I can easily swap over to my PC).

Now, the other day I decided to try plugging the disk into the eSATA port on the back of the box (not really expecting it to work). To my surprise, after rebooting the box, all of the recordings appeared. I have tested all the various features and they all seem to work fine!

I have done some further tests and it seems that if you turn the box on with an external hard disk connected (by eSATA), it will override the internal one (so recordings will be read and stored on the external disk). Disconnecting the disk and restarting the box will make it use the internal disk again (and all the recordings will be as they were).
In a later post he says its a DRX890 with firmware R005.053.70.15P if anyone wants to test it.

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force Frontier 90,2xEmp-Centauri P168(28.2,23.5,19.2,16,13,9,5E,5W)
Vu+Duo2 & Now TV, Amazon Fire TV & Droidbox X7,
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
Technisat AirStar/Freeview.
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
@Analoguesat - I agree, it is a very interesting post. I wonder why there seems to be little interest in it here. There is a slightly more expansive posting on Skyuser by the same member mrmt32. If it works then it at least offers the possibility of exporting the unencrypted SD stuff from Sky+ without opening the box or resampling over component or s-video. Problem is what Sky gives Sky can take away. Let's hope that this is a permanent change and proves to be a useful forward step.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I dont have an Sky HD box so I cant try it, but I hope the info comes in useful for others :)

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
LowNoiseBloke said:
@Analoguesat - I agree, it is a very interesting post. I wonder why there seems to be little interest in it here. There is a slightly more expansive posting on Skyuser by the same member mrmt32. If it works then it at least offers the possibility of exporting the unencrypted SD stuff from Sky+ without opening the box or resampling over component or s-video. Problem is what Sky gives Sky can take away. Let's hope that this is a permanent change and proves to be a useful forward step.
It does NOT appear a way to transfer recordings but merely a way of adding an alternative HDD externally without opening the box. There appears to be no way to access the internal drive if an external one is added so it is merely substituting an external for an internal HDD.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
So that means that it'll be a live data stream (not even a transport stream) recorded onto the external disk and encrypted to boot I suppose.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
PaulR said:
So that means that it'll be a live data stream (not even a transport stream) recorded onto the external disk and encrypted to boot I suppose.
Exactly the same as the internal HDD.

<div>
<div>
CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom
</div>
</div>

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force Frontier 90,2xEmp-Centauri P168(28.2,23.5,19.2,16,13,9,5E,5W)
Vu+Duo2 & Now TV, Amazon Fire TV & Droidbox X7,
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
Technisat AirStar/Freeview.
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
Does this development not enable you to unplug the external hdd, connect it to a PC running exPVR or Copy+ and extract digital copies of the unencrypted recordings ?.
The only thing that could defeat this would be an extension of HDCP to all Sky+ recordings.