Hd Passion+ Problem

laney9007

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite fortex star passion + free sat, computoe broadband internet
My Location
united kingdom
Hi my satellite system has stopped working, its a fortec star passion+. the problem is when i turn the power on all i get is the blue light on but no display on the front panel . help rob

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have you tried unplugging it, leaving it for an hour or so then plugging it back in?

If all the usual things dont work try popping the top off and studying the capacitors around the power supply area - look for obvious bulging or leaking.

Keep your fingers well clear of the circuit boards whilst the top is off - some types of psu can store enough charge to give you a nasty shock long after being unplugged.

laney9007

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
united kingdom
Ok will have a look, I should mention that I always turn the power off at night anyway but recently when turning it on sometimes the display would work and other times not and I would need to turn it off and on until the display came on but now their is nothing at all

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
Hi my satellite system has stopped working, its a fortec star passion+. the problem is when i turn the power on all i get is the blue light on but no display on the front panel . help rob

Try reading this thread as Analoguesat says could be blown capacitor aroun power supply very common fault,happened to me last month and thanks to this thread was able to pinpoint problem so all is okay

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/123631-is-my-fortecstar-passion-dead-or-just-asleep/page__hl__+passion%20+power#entry692881

laney9007

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
united kingdom
well i took the top off and from what I can see and going by the smell it looks as though a cat has sprayed over the unit causing alot of items on the circuit board to short out rendering the unit useless, can you recomment a better replacement free sat box that will work with the motorised dish or do I need to replace unit with another passion+ box

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That smell of spraying Cat could well be a burnt out resistor (judging by the characteristic smell) or, given the fact you reckon there is a junked area of the PCB it is perhaps more likely a capacitor that has gone pop.

There are Freesat boxes that can drive a Motor - my own preference ('cos I've got one!) is thee Humax Foxsat (comes in PVR and non-PVR versions).

There are others, but best wait for their own afficionados to recommend them (they'll all be at work right now!).

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have a look at the joinfreesat.co.uk site - they have reviews of lots of the FS receivers.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ok will have a look, I should mention that I always turn the power off at night anyway but recently when turning it on sometimes the display would work and other times not and I would need to turn it off and on until the display came on but now their is nothing at all

You are better off leaving them on deep standby - if something is going to go bang its normally when the first power surge of the day hits the weak component.