HD picture quality on dm800 clone.

gawdblesshim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800
My Location
GLASGOW
What do people think of the hd picture quality on their boxes? I have to say that im quite disappointed (unless im doing something wrong)

I'm connected via the dvi out to an hdmi converter like this

h**p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140337666554&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Ive set the output correctly in the a/v settings to dvi 1080i 50hz.

I think it looks like a good sd picture. The colours arent great, and there is a lot of pixelization especially around graphics (like the scores when watching football)

I'll probably see picture artifacts more than others because ive an hd projector with a 100 inch screen. My old sky hd box had great picture quality over the same hdmi cable, and so does my popcorn hour media player. Switching between these sources really shows the difference in quality.

Also, i thought maybe the dvi/hdmi converter might have been poor quality, so i tried using a dvi/vga converter to send the signal to the vga input of my projector. This gave a green picture when using the dvi-pc setting on the dm800. When i try to output to my computer monitor using the same method, there is no signal at all.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Is your HD projector native HD ?

the problem you described I can get also, if set receivers resolution to 1080i, but tv resolution is set to 576i.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
I have just got a REAL Dm800 and also have 2 x Dm7025 and a Dm600.

Unfortunately I only have a 720p TV (HD ready).

But when I compare the pictures from the DM800 on a HD channel against the picture of the 7025 on the same channel (SD), I can hardly see a difference. On VERY small detail the definition is ever so slightly better, but overall it is much of a muchness. And I did make sure the HD channel is broadcasting a proper high def picture (1440x1080).

I dont actually notice any colour improvement.

Overall I am not sure that the HD is worth the price difference. You can get a Dm7025+, twin tuner, for the same money as a DM800. I will, however, reserve final judgement until I get an 1080p TV.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
i have only a orginal dm 800,so i dont know the diffrence,maybe there are diffrent clones on the market,and when the use cheap components,to save money,the picture quality is bad,like on dm 500 clone also!
can all here,that have a clone,post a picture of the mainboard,then we can find out,is there many diffrent clones,from diffrent factorys in china on the market,or not!

pzi

Reaction score
I disagree....

Recently purchased 2 genuine (SatShop) DM800's and the picture quality (on a 1080p tv) is excellent on HD channels. I also have a genuine DM600 and can notice the difference on SD channels. Other aspects of my setup are 'standard' ie 1m dish and 0.2Db lnb although I have used good quality HDMI, coax cables and sealed f-connectors....

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
please,make picutres of your mainboard,like every time when a clone comes out the never come from the same factory in china,diffrent components are using,when we see ,the mainboard layout,of the people,that have a clone,then we can find out the diffrence between each clone modell!
is it posible to replace,the mpeg chip on the mainboard,that is resposible for the bad picture?

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
After reading many forums and even more opinions, it leads to the following conclusion:
Most people are right when they say their picture is great, as well as when they say they are disappointed with their picture. Several things play a part in picture quality, including the TV and the HD source, however,
In general people that have 32" TVs (like me) or smaller, will notice VERY little difference between SD and HD, regardless of source or TV. On the bigger screens: people with 40"-50" TVs will be quite happy with their picture in HD. Go any bigger and disappointment will set in again as the resolution is not high enough to accomodate the size with good definition.

The following applies to watching TV, not gaming.
So when making the decision on whether to go HD or not is dependent on your viewing distance.
It seems at approx 8 feet (2.5m) the recommended TV size is 32", in which case it is not worth it to go HD.
8-12 feet recommended size would be be 32"-40",
and after that whatever you can afford.So if your viewing distance is more than 12 feet, HD is worth it, only depending on how good your eyes are. In my case, I'm getting old and blind, so........ LOL

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
when you only look on a bad pictrure for e.g someone own only a dm 800 clone,then this persons mostly mean,the picture is normal,because the dont know the difrence,when you loock every day,then pricture is okay for this person,my kathrein ufd 910 has also the better picture,and the background have more detail,then the kaon hd,where the complete picture looks very soft,so its the way of looking,and everyone looks difrent,when i got this at the moment not confimed ,that there are difrent clones on the market,i cant belive when one say picture is good,the next one bad,one orginal dm 800 and one clone dm 800 on the same tv set,will show the diffrence!

gawdblesshim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800
My Location
GLASGOW
shumifan50 said:
After reading many forums and even more opinions, it leads to the following conclusion:
Most people are right when they say their picture is great, as well as when they say they are disappointed with their picture. Several things play a part in picture quality, including the TV and the HD source, however,
In general people that have 32" TVs (like me) or smaller, will notice VERY little difference between SD and HD, regardless of source or TV. On the bigger screens: people with 40"-50" TVs will be quite happy with their picture in HD. Go any bigger and disappointment will set in again as the resolution is not high enough to accomodate the size with good definition.

The following applies to watching TV, not gaming.
So when making the decision on whether to go HD or not is dependent on your viewing distance.
It seems at approx 8 feet (2.5m) the recommended TV size is 32", in which case it is not worth it to go HD.
8-12 feet recommended size would be be 32"-40",
and after that whatever you can afford.So if your viewing distance is more than 12 feet, HD is worth it, only depending on how good your eyes are. In my case, I'm getting old and blind, so........ LOL

Good post. I agree with a lot of that. I think source is the most important thing. It doesn't matter how big your screen is or how far away from it you are, if what you are feeding your display is not good enough it will show. If what you are feeding it is great quality it will also show (as long as you have a good display)

Ive got loads of different possible setup combinations: xbox 360 over component, sky hd over hdmi, popcorn hour media player over hdmi, and now dm800 over dvi-hdmi conversion.

After seeing some of the results on my other kit im a bit disappointed. For example i had a sky hd box for a while without a subscription, so i had never seen football in hd. So i downloaded a game from the internet in 1080p and was blown away by it on my popcorn hour. But when i watched an hd game on the dm800 this week it was really average.

I would say an average 720p download played on my popcorn hour would beat the 1080i output of my dm800 9 times out of 10.