hd problem

stephen66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
bush
My Location
yorkshire
have installed bush freesat hd box to my old sky dish its installed all the channels but on bbc hd and itv hd there are white speckles is there any chance this might be the cable.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum steven66

Well it depends which cable you mean. What signal strength and quality are you getting on the stb?

How is your HD stb connected to your tv?

Sparklies are a thing of the past in satellite tv reception, used to get those with analogue receivers, with digital it is either there or not. Borderline produces a blocky picture not one with speckles.

It could be a faulty HDMI cable (assuming you are using one) or one that is subject to interference from a transformer when producing an HD picture which obviously requires greater amounts of information to be transmitted via that cable than with SD

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It certainly sounds like an issue with the interface between Receiver and TV, rather than being a Dish/LNB/Cable problem.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Thread moved from dish set up section.

In addition, could also be a receiver problem. Can you test the HDMI cable on another source or receiver on another hd screen.

stephen66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
bush
My Location
yorkshire
Hi
have tried 2 hd cables 1 i got with box 1 bought.signal is 75% today,yesterday it was 90% i will try the set up with another hd tv .

Thanks Guys

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which signal measurement are you referring to?

stephen66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
bush
My Location
yorkshire
Hi
signal quality is showing 85%
signal strength is showin 90%
i just tried intalling again without my hd cable in and plugged in a scart i still have the same problem on the hd channel and there is a slight break up of the picture like little squares .

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, picture breakup is an incoming signal problem (dish alignment), or possibly receive problem, sparkly picture is a box output or cable problem, nothing to do with signal strength and quality. Appears you may have a bit of both here.

I believe that on Freesat boxes, the signal strength is for the default transponder, not the channel you are watching.

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
South East Coast, England
It does sound like a problem with your Freesat box or possibly the TV. However, do you get these 'sparkles' all the time or just occasionally?

On some TVs, when some scenes are dark you can get grainy pictures (small dots that could be described as sparkles). If the sharpness control is set to the maximum sharpness, it can exaggerate this effect. The answer to that is to soften the picture a little.

But I agree with the others, sounds like a receiver (or lesser chance a TV) issue especially as you say it can also be blocky. I had a Technomate box that produced red dots randomly all over the picture. Maybe you got a Friday box like I did.

Oswon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat hd. Fta 19.2
My Location
Ireland
It sounds like the Hd cable . I used a cheaper one and got poor picture.
The one with the humax was fine when i used that

stephen66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
bush
My Location
yorkshire
Hi
gonna take it back to argos tell them its faulty then try again.
Thanks for your help guys.steve

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
rolfw said:
I believe that on Freesat boxes, the signal strength is for the default transponder, not the channel you are watching.

Not sure about other models, but the Foxsat gives readings either per TP (If in non-Freesat scanning modes) or per Channel via EPG Info or System Diagnostics :)