hello everybody(virgin poster)looking for advice please

scottmc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dell laptop,dell desktop,80 cm dish,looking for decoder lnb set up unsure what to get
My Location
glasgow

hi everybody i have just joined due to seling stuff on ebay and happened to look at the skyboxes on there, that set me wondering , i used to stay at my parents 14/15 years ago and had the satelite pointed at hot bird and some other analog sats but after moving out etc never had time to set anything like this up again.the old system is still at my dads house to this day!!!! not been used for years though.

what i was wondering is a sky digital box useable for eutelsat hotbird etc i am looking for english speaking channels what satelite would be the best for this ,should i get a twin lnb? will a sky box take a card ? who can sell me a card ? where can i get aljazeera for football , are there any good trade places to buy from on here?

what i was thinking of doing was buying a sky digital set up from ebay and adding a bigger dish , then getting a card? would that be sensable. any help appriciated thanks scott (glasgow)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Forget the digibox for pretty much anything other than sky, that's what it is made for and that's what it does well, anything else is at the best limited.

The only satellite with lots of free to air English language viewing is Astra 28.2 East, you can buy a Freesat receiver for very little money (see our forum advertisers in my signature), or buy a non Freesat receiver nad perhaps extend your viewing to other satellites with a motorised system, not expensive and not difficult to set up, but you need to do a bit of reading first.

If you want to subscribe to Sky, then probably going to the Sky site via one of our links is probably the cheapest route.

scottmc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dell laptop,dell desktop,80 cm dish,looking for decoder lnb set up unsure what to get
My Location
glasgow
cheers for that i have seen this on ebay via this site is this of use? with a 80cm dish? can this take cams? plenty on ebay, not sure how they work though ,do you update them?

Ebay: Item No: 120328914431 this is not far from me and is dead cheap is this a decent item? can it take cards etc

scottmc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
i had seen these also are these relics or r they decent enough for thisthttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170277830148

Ebay Item No: 190262984815

this one was of interest what is patched is it additional software?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Why not have a good read of the forum first and you will get a better idea of what you want, the last advert you show is out of date with what can be received.

scottmc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
cheers rolf you are absolutely spot on there is so much to take in way too many options, i have the chance of a telestar diginova 2pns very cheap is this one worth bothering about i was thinking of getting this ad taking it up to my dads house he still has a fairsize dish mounted . just to play about a bit to see what i can get . on the other hand i saw a trade add on here for a motorised system around £180 delivered sounds great to me. that will catch the european sats i want. the only thing is how to get cams or cards do most digital recivers take these? also will the dish mount in my garden ? i dont fancy it on the wall cheers scott

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Go for a receiver which is patchable, Dreambox, Technomate etc, also preferable buy one with a CI slot for an independent CAM (a bit of future proofing).

scottmc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
ok rolf cheers i will read some more and look at the online shops as well many thanks for all of this advice. i bought a satelite magazine a few times in the past i cant remember the title of it is there any which are especially good? cheers scott

scottmc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
HI GUYS AFTER FINALLY GETTING my self some stuff i have got round to setting up some equipment. i bought a technomate 1000ci patched , a technomate 1500ci patched , a sky dish , a golden interstar lnb, and a 1meter dish. i am waiting for a sizable payout from nhbc and am going to buy a technomate motorised system i have seen loads on ebay but will buy from this sites sponsors , i will need support i think!!!
these boxes are intended for my living room and bedroom and as they were already patched i thought why not at £20 each ebay one needed a remote £5 bn ebay and a null lead 99p ebay skydish £5 .1m dish £10 lnb £3 all plus low postage . i have set the 1000ci up in my garage as it is joined to my house and is warm etc i have a 28 " telly lying in there from when my gran died . so i thought perfect as i can move the dish and see the telly the 1000ci has a set up facility signal strength etc but after 2 hours i still canny get the bandit lined up . the signal meter stays ay 25/27% .... so i checked the wires and disconnected from the back of the box and found the signal still stays at this reading!!!! is my box totalled? the box seems to work ok and has a darkman patch on it it is set up for hispasat i was looking for hotbird.but selecting from menu etc as soon as you close the set up thing it jumps back to hipasat........ is it really hard to set up dishes? i had set them up in the past (analogue) and it took 5 mins i have a digital compass and should mention it is a patio set up. i dont want on the house. i have bought a sat meter from ebay now probably be here next week. cheers guys any info would be greatly appriciated