RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Hi,
this is my first post, and im new to all this satellite stuff (apart from sky)
hopfully this week i will be having a new motorised dish etc installed

I say hopefully cos im still looking round and getting quotes, i thought it would be good to visit here and get a few ideas as to what to look out for, and find out what to avoid. also how much i should pay for this setup?

to be honest im after football mainly, the local pub has an arabic channel or something thats really good, i tried asking the landlord for some help with this.... but hes a wast of time, more chance of getting a free pint lol.

if someone is from the manchester area and knows a good shop or installer let me know please

the thing i have noticed is the subscription is very varied? although the pub pays £350 a year for football, i have been quoted £200 pound per 6 months etc etc.... someone even mentions its free and getting codes of a website???
can anyone shed light on this too.

i used to have sky and get all there channels but ended up falling out with them, as they couldnt understand why i didnt want to pay 4 months subscription for a very quiet blue screen??..... thats a long story anyway, will save that moan for another post :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Oh, no. Not another ManU fan! ;)

Welcome m8.

To advise on your setup and/or costs, we would really need a lot more information on how much you want to spend, what else you want to receive, how big a dish you can accomodate, how many sats you have line-of-sight on, and what your technical skills/level of commitment to learning are.

My advice to you would be to spend a few days, or even weeks reading stuff (and here is a really good place to start) and then you'll be better equipped to ask some more probing questions that you'll get some excellent answers to.

Rest assured though, that no only can you get paid subscriptions to many channels showing your footy, there are cheaper ways.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
As Stick said....Read Everything. Look in the Cams and Card sections here. There are lots of ways to watch Footy, even at the 3:00 kick off.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Cheers Guys, i will be reading alot :)

i wanted to spend about £700, but if there is a definate advantage in some way, i will spend more to get what i need.

Other than football, i would like to recieve channels with movies, music and general entertainment like the type of thing sky one, the bbc and ITV show, i am a Sci-Fi fan too, so any channels that show programs such as Star Trek or Stargate before they are shown here on terrestrial TV would be a bonus

Size of dish??? well i will be probably be mounting it on either the roof or where my Sky Digi dish is (wants taking down anyway) which is situated above the porch on the front of my house, so i suppose i want the biggest possible :D

as for technical skills, i would say they are very good indeed, only at the moment i am just getting going on this... i do learn fast. in 12 months i will be helping others who are starting out hopefully ;)

satellites in my view.. Ummmm not sure, i would go for a chimney mount if that means 360 degrees lol

and razor, i still need to learn about cams and cards, although i used to have a wafer programmer years ago... maybe ill have to purchase an elvis soon ;)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
RedDevil_UK said:
Cheers Guys, i will be reading alot :)

i wanted to spend about £700, but if there is a definate advantage in some way, i will spend more to get what i need.

Other than football, i would like to recieve channels with movies, music and general entertainment like the type of thing sky one, the bbc and ITV show, i am a Sci-Fi fan too, so any channels that show programs such as Star Trek or Stargate before they are shown here on terrestrial TV would be a bonus

Size of dish??? well i will be probably be mounting it on either the roof or where my Sky Digi dish is (wants taking down anyway) which is situated above the porch on the front of my house, so i suppose i want the biggest possible :D

as for technical skills, i would say they are very good indeed, only at the moment i am just getting going on this... i do learn fast. in 12 months i will be helping others who are starting out hopefully ;)

satellites in my view.. Ummmm not sure, i would go for a chimney mount if that means 360 degrees lol

and razor, i still need to learn about cams and cards, although i used to have a wafer programmer years ago... maybe ill have to purchase an elvis soon ;)

It's always a good thing also to buy a mag i.e Which or What Satellite out of a leading newsagent like W.H.Smiths.......it has a comparison list on receivers and write ups....with this mag you also get information of all the satellites, channels and the language they are broadcasted in. Yes you will get endless info here and hours of reading the post's, But if you are keen on a new system take your time before you buy one, as they vary on their facilities e.g how many sats or channels that can be received or stored!......with a mag unlike the web you can take it to work and read it in your tea break! :D

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Cheers waverider...

i have priced up a 1.1m motorised dish with a Echostar 880 and the usual brackets motors etc..
£440 fitted??
im not sure on the Echostar, a mate said his echostar kept overheating!
not sure wether or not to demand a manhattan decoder?

i am on my way into manchester now to ask some questions in a shop there.
i think i want a bigger dish too.... the biggest wall mounted one i can get really
i want a titanium card and a dragon cam too.... and a elvis or phoenix programmer

by the way, waverider
where do you watch your footy?
do you watch via the arabic channels?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Update!!

spoke to the guy at the shop.... he was really helpful :)

this is the result of the visit

Dream Box
1.1m dish
Dragon cam and card
and a programmer i forget the name of at the moment??? but its one that programs cams and card.... it also can program the slots on the dreambox...Ummmm (memorys awful)
including all the expected stuff..... LNB, Motor and installation
it comes to just over £800 fitted

what do you lot reckon?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you have a dreambox you don't need the Dragon CAM and card. You shouldn't need a programmer either, as you change the images on the Dreambox using your PC and an FTP program.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Ummmm
sounds like this dreambox is a clever piece of kit?
didnt know that.... i hope the box comes with a good set of instructions then lol

the sooner i get one installed the better, i can start learning properly

by the way, is there a list of all channels available and the bird there on.... on the net?
cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Get all your football listings and channels here : -

http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/
The Dreambox can be very complicated for a noob, unless you have good IT skills.

Also the largest dish you can mount without Planning Permission is 90cm, so bear that in mind if it's on full view, and your neighbours are trouble.

Also, there is more than one version of the Dreambox, so make sure it does what you want before you buy.

See :- http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
DreamBox DM7000 is the one im getting, and to be honest im pretty good with a pc and a host of other gadgets, im actually looking forward to using it.

the longer it takes me to get used to it, the more interesting it becomes.... as any other gadget freak will tell you..... as soon as its mastered its not exciting anymore

one of the reasons i went for this box is it versatility.... PC networking, putting a 120gig Hard drive in, nice big LCD screen on it... etc etc

the largest dish you can mount without Planning Permission is 90cm
over 90cm Ummmm, its on the front of my house too? we'll have to see what happens.

cheers for the channel listings... great stuff :)

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi reddevil uk :D just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. i have a pc setup though i did consider the dreambox way back when it first came out as it would seem to be capable of many things. I bought the skystar 2 pc satellite card as it was capable of emulati*n and very cheap to buy at about 70 pounds all in roughly. I have a much more expensive card with better picture quality still worth about 250 pounds but i never use it as its not much good at emulatio* using programs such as progdvb which is a popular program for the pc for this purpose.

lotus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star FTA 5000v2
RedDevil_UK said:
Hi,
this is my first post, and im new to all this satellite stuff (apart from sky)
hopfully this week i will be having a new motorised dish etc installed

I say hopefully cos im still looking round and getting quotes, i thought it would be good to visit here and get a few ideas as to what to look out for, and find out what to avoid. also how much i should pay for this setup?

to be honest im after football mainly, the local pub has an arabic channel or something thats really good, i tried asking the landlord for some help with this.... but hes a wast of time, more chance of getting a free pint lol.

if someone is from the manchester area and knows a good shop or installer let me know please

the thing i have noticed is the subscription is very varied? although the pub pays £350 a year for football, i have been quoted £200 pound per 6 months etc etc.... someone even mentions its free and getting codes of a website???
can anyone shed light on this too.

i used to have sky and get all there channels but ended up falling out with them, as they couldnt understand why i didnt want to pay 4 months subscription for a very quiet blue screen??..... thats a long story anyway, will save that moan for another post :)

Hi
Did you manage to sort engineer to fit motorised, as I am finding it impossible to get hold of one in the Rochdale area and would be more than grateful for any leads.
Tony

lotus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star FTA 5000v2
If you can recommend any motorised dish engineer I would be very grateful.
(rochdale area)