Help Required Hello from NoobieOldie

Heifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
44cm triax dish
Hauppage receiver
My Location
Weybridge Surrey UK
Maybe I should have used the subject line as my forum name...
'cos it's a fairly accurate description, being new to the world of satellite reception and a possessing at least 70 turns on my coil.

At the moment my plans are low key.
Some months ago, whilst fixing a leaky roof I decided to take down, before it fell down, an old dish.
I bought a 44 cm oval TRIAX oval dish and a 2 channel Labgear SLx LNB.
A friend has lent me a DR-HD 1000 combo (not had any luck searching for this here on this forum)
BUT so far, despite a few attempts, I am not getting very far.
My first question here is - can someone point me to a reasonably comprehensive overview of how it all works.
The links I have found here:
all seem dead - they are 12 years old!
I rather read up on the topic instead of ask lots of questions

Thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Welcome to the forum.
A quick google search brings up a few links, including this:
Code:
https://dr-hd.com/product/satfinders/dr-hd-1000-combo.html
A 44cm dish will not get you much, so I assume you just want a fixed dish, for Astra 2, 28.5E, is that the case?
There are a few videos, demonstrating Dr HD 1000 meters, but it seems a little complex, for someone who's new, but worth trying.
I find a cheap satellite meter is easiest, and used to cost less than £10.
Do you have a satellite receiver, or just the Dr HD 1000 combo?

Heifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
44cm triax dish
Hauppage receiver
My Location
Weybridge Surrey UK
Hello Mickha
Thank you for your reply.
I have found a number vids on youtube. The best, of a bad bunch, being this NICE short one:
Which still leaves a bit to be desired.
I have figured out a fair amount re the workings of the DR-HD1000 combo and am hoping, as I learn more about the intricacies of satellite RF, even more will make sense. Being a licensed radio amateur helps although my knowledge re microwave comms is scant.
Initially I am only wanting to receive Freesat from Astra 2E. I will have to upgrade my antenna set-up (and other bits) if I want more.
(All stems from starting to set up a Home Media centre using KODI during lock-down- Not an Alexa in sight!)
At the moment I do have a satellite receiver, the Hauppage BUT I have not set it up yet. My plan being to ensure that I have good solid signal from Astra2E first; something I can do with the DR-HD1000 combo - from what I can make out it will allow me to output a video signal to my monitor.
Thanks again.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
If the meter doesn't have an audible tone then I would us it on conjunction with a £5-10 "needle" meter. The Dr HD 1000 does look nice and the video is a good guide.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
The problem with a 44cm dish is that you need to be extremely accurate, and patient, when setting up, as finding a signal is sometimes tricky, depending on weather conditions, location,
The advantage of a very cheap satellite meter is that it offers a quick check, of your system, and produces a signal even if the dish is pointing at the ground. If power is getting to the LNB, from a receiver, and from the LNB, then it lights up, showing that your connections are good, it is also extremely easy to use, as a basic starting point.
Once everything is working, cable from receiver, to meter, then a short cable from the meter, to the LNB, it should light up and emit an audible tone, as statalite has mentioned, you then rotate the knob, or sometimes press a button, until the meter reads about half way, thus decreasing the sensitivity.
You then adjust the dish, gently, until the needle moves to full, 10, then adjust the sensitivity again, to 5, and nudge the dish again. You keep doing this until you have the strongest signal possible, then check your receiver, to see what satellite you're locked on, or use the Dr HD 1000.

Heifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
44cm triax dish
Hauppage receiver
My Location
Weybridge Surrey UK
@statalite
Thank you. The DR-HD does have an audible signal along with and rssi readout + a bar signal strength meter. Which probably obviates the need for a simple 'swing needle' meter, which I also have.

@Mickha
Thank you. Not having a working tuner - YET - leaves me working with the DR-HD and the simple swing needle' meter.
BUT as the DR-HD does allow me to view the signal both on its built in screen and in HD on my monitor I am assuming that if I persevere I will get the dish lined up correctly.
A couple of question for my next session on the roof later in the week:
  1. The metal arm I have is 34cm long and marked SKY2.
  2. Skew angle. From what I can make out this should be about 7° to the left when viewed from behind the dish looking at the source (Astra2E)
  3. There is about 25mm of focus on the collar of the LNB - I have not tried adjusting this yet BUT how crucial is it?
Thanks for your help

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Skew and focal point, can be adjusted to maximise the signal quality, first find a decent signal reading, before fine adjustments. Can you please upload some pictures, of the dish, just to check that the LNB position looks about right.
Your satellite receiver doesn't need setting up, it just needs to be powered on, to provide power, between the receiver, meter, and LNB, when using the basic meter.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Use a strong transponder such as 10847MHz V 23000. Skew should be set so the cable is exiting the LNB between 6 & 7 o'clock when looking at the front of the dish. The in/out adjustment of the LNB can be crucial but for strong satellites like those at 28.2°E you should be able to get a signal in any position - start with the LNB as far from the dish as possible.

As a starting point set the dish face so it is vertical. Then slowly rotate the dish until the meter shows a reading. Local Sky dishes should give an indication of the direction the dish needs to be pointing, otherwise start at south south east.

Heifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
44cm triax dish
Hauppage receiver
My Location
Weybridge Surrey UK
@ozumo Thank you.
Those settings are what I have in the DR-HD - see image attached.
BUT what I am not sure about is:
  1. LNB power - pretty certain its 13v for Vertical and 20v for Horizontal.
  2. LNB type - less certain about this. Where do I find this info? - see photo
    and
  3. 22khz (which i see is set to auto) but does this refer to bandwidth?

In my first post I asked if anyone knew of a 'book', guide or whatever (pdf download) on this subject please could they point me to it.
    My interest in radio comms means not only do I wish to ultimately get it working but I also what to learn how it works.
@Mickha
I bought the dish without LNB from CPC (apparently it's no longer available) before I realised the existing LNB was kaput.
It's the same as the one in the link below.
When I realised the LNB was kaput I got the new one from Amazon as in link below

IMG_0735.jpgIMG_0736.jpg

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
LNB Power - 13/18v or auto (when set to a single voltage it won't switch the LNB to the opposite polarisation)
LNB Type - Universal or 9750/10600
22KHz - Auto (sends 22KHz tone to the LNB to switch it to high band)
DiSEqC 1.0 - Off

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Is the dish just a basic sky dish, like this?
triax-44cm-eliptical-satellite-dish-for-sky-freesat-p461-4937_zoom.jpgtriax-44cm-eliptical-satellite-dish-for-sky-freesat-p461-4937_zoom.jpg

Heifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
44cm triax dish
Hauppage receiver
My Location
Weybridge Surrey UK
@ozumo
One more question, please
As you seem familiar with the DR-HD
I cannot find any data (.xml files) on the DR-HD website relating to the UK satellite coverage. Will it auto-populate this info once it is locked on to a satellite or must I enter the data relating to the transponders I wish to receive myself - either but uploading XML files I create myself or one at a time on SAT setup.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
@ozumo
One more question, please
As you seem familiar with the DR-HD
I cannot find any data (.xml files) on the DR-HD website relating to the UK satellite coverage. Will it auto-populate this info once it is locked on to a satellite or must I enter the data relating to the transponders I wish to receive myself - either but uploading XML files I create myself or one at a time on SAT setup.
I've never used this meter so don't know. The specs indicate it has a blind-scan function, once you are locked onto a 28.2°E transponder using the blind-scan function should update the database with all transponders found. In theory if this works you could delete the existing 28.2°E transponder database and then blind scan again so the database only consists of currently active transponders.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Check out dishpointer.com, for a reasonable map, showing you the direction, to point your dish, enter your postcode, select Astra 2, 28.5E, zoom in on the map, and move the icon to where you intend to site the dish.
It is likely that you might initially pick up a different satellite, like 23.5E, or other strong satellite.

Heifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
44cm triax dish
Hauppage receiver
My Location
Weybridge Surrey UK
I've never used this meter so don't know. The specs indicate it has a blind-scan function, once you are locked onto a 28.2°E transponder using the blind-scan function should update the database with all transponders found. In theory if this works you could delete the existing 28.2°E transponder database and then blind scan again so the database only consists of currently active transponders.
@ozumo
Thanks
That's what I thought but so far, even though I have had it locked on to Astra2E, I have not found the trick to get it to store the info in it's data base or to display anything on it's 'watch TV' facility. The UI is not intuitive and the instruction manual is distinctly lacking. None of this being helped by my lack of knowledge, although the gaps are beginning to get filled albeit slowly.

@Mickha
Thank you
Check out dishpointer.com, for a reasonable map, showing you the direction, to point your dish, enter your postcode, select Astra 2, 28.5E, zoom in on the map, and move the icon to where you intend to site the dish.
It is likely that you might initially pick up a different satellite, like 23.5E, or other strong satellite.
I have used dishpointer. It's helped me confirm I have no physical obstructions.

Heifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
44cm triax dish
Hauppage receiver
My Location
Weybridge Surrey UK
Hello and welcome,
Hi and thanks for the welcome.
As you can see I have already received a dish- full :D of help from @Mickha, @ozumo and @statalite. I've not had the chance to get up on my to have another go at aligningment. Hopefully over the weekend or next week

Heifer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
44cm triax dish
Hauppage receiver
My Location
Weybridge Surrey UK
@Magmax In case you wondered what I was going to "get the chance to get up on" (my last message), the missing word was roof.
But have now been up there and aligned my dish. With a bit of help from a friend + his iBraveboxV9 finder which worked far more successfully than the DR-HD.
@Mickha, @ozumo and @statalite thank you very much for your help. I have no doubt I will be back here posting more questions but now I can received Astra transmissions - I am happy for the time being.