HELP!!cannot connect my DB500 to the internet??

az773

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
db500
My Location
oman
hi guys,

well i had my DB for more than a year now and just moved place, and now for over a month it simply doesnt want to connect to the internet.. old setting on the db was dhcp ticked and all was sorted.

now the only way i can getting working sometimes is if i put the pc ip on my db and it would work for awhile then dissapear again and also get a message on my pc (conflicting ip add)

iiiii have a linksys router connected the cable straight to a hub from there to pc,db,ps3,wireless.

all work fine except the dreambox any idea?? i tried so many things and read lots of threads nothing seems to work..

thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
az773 said:
hi guys,

well i had my DB for more than a year now and just moved place, and now for over a month it simply doesnt want to connect to the internet.. old setting on the db was dhcp ticked and all was sorted.

now the only way i can getting working sometimes is if i put the pc ip on my db and it would work for awhile then dissapear again and also get a message on my pc (conflicting ip add)

iiiii have a linksys router connected the cable straight to a hub from there to pc,db,ps3,wireless.

all work fine except the dreambox any idea?? i tried so many things and read lots of threads nothing seems to work..

thanks

dhcp should be TICKED OFF (not selected)
What image are you using?
Try reflashing again, but if your box is a clone then be careful not to kill it.

bommel71

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dream 500s with diseq rotor
total 3 computers 1x xp home 1x vista 1x for triing annything =a p3 set with xp pro and xp home on it wil also try linux on it al desktops reacebel via a switch forget te name but 1 monitor and 1 keybord
network is wired
My Location
Amsterdam
hy hallo sorry did not look at your name
but y think the mistace is in the connection.
you wrote router to hub and on the hub your things ?
so is it impossible for the db to cat hys ip adres.
the drembox have to be derektly on the router.
and sorry for they other replayer the dhcp button must be markt on

y self have 3 computers and a db on my router all on cablle and it works correctly.

its impossible to have on a hub differend ip adresses.
so you have to chance the connection so i tolt you

sorry for my writing mistakes but y hope you understand wath y am writing.

RGTS Bommel

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Provide a screenshot of your Communication Setup page.

Details of how to do it are in the Idiot's Guide.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I'll have to differ with you on this one HB13DISH :)

I would recommend leaving DHCP turned on while trying to resolve a networking problem like this. It will allow you to get correct settings automatically. Once you get good settings, you can knock it off so that your Dreambox IP is static.

az773 said:
This suggests that there is a problem with your network settings.

The message you got about conflicting IP addresses is normal, You cant properly use the same IP address on any more than one networked device.

Turn on DHCP to see what happens. If this doesnt work, enter an IP address close to that of the PC. e.g.

If your PC is 192.168.1.10
Set your dreambox to 192.168.1.20 or something similar.

It would be best if we could see a screen grab of your comms page, as Mhku suggested.

C :)

az773

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
db500
My Location
oman
hi guys,

sorry i cant screenshot the page so here r my setting:
IP: 10.6.11.191
netmask:255.255.240.0
nameserver:10.10.6.3
gateway:10.6.0.1

network enabled DHCP ticked and on port 80....
when every i untick the dhcp and change the setting then tick it back again it comes back with the exact same settings no changes as above..
so the only way i can work it is if i change the last number on the ip to my pc or wireless ip..
i dont understand it was working fine at my previous place the only different thing is the ISP but that shouldnt be a problem i guess...

oh ya if this might help... every now and then i have to verify username and password for my connection but only once a month or if its a new device...

appreciate your help

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/730625-post46.html

These are all internal (LAN) IP addresses?

Untick DHCP.

gateway = your router LAN IP address

nameserver = your router LAN IP address or your ISP's DNS server IP address

You have different subnet masks for gateway and nameserver- set them both to the router IP address.

And allow the IP address of the Dreambox in your router if you have restricted the IP address range that can use it.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Go to Start -> Run and type in 'cmd' and press enter.

In the command prompt window, type 'ipconfig/all'.

Post the output here.
az773 said:
oh ya if this might help... every now and then i have to verify username and password for my connection but only once a month or if its a new device...
:confused:confused
Your ISP makes you do this?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Did you try the suggestion in post #6?
compufunk said:
If your PC is 192.168.1.10
Set your dreambox to 192.168.1.20 or something similar.
Go to Start -> Run and type in 'cmd' and press enter.

In the command prompt window, type 'ipconfig/all'.

Post the output here. That way we can see exactly what is working on your network.
az773 said:
:confused:confused
Your ISP makes you do this? I've never heard of this, is this a regular ADSL connection?

az773

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
db500
My Location
oman
hi guys,

well i tried everything nothing yet,,

ok my ipconfig setting are

DHCP enabled...................................yes
autoconfigration enabled...................yes
ip.....................................................10.6.9.*
subnet mask.....................................255.255.240.0
default gateway................................10.6.*.*
dhcp server......................................10.10.**.*
dns server........................................10.10.6.*
10.10.7.*

hope we can solve this

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
You had better clear something up here, How are you connected to the internet? Is it through a DSL connection or are you on some sort of private network within a building or something?

The reasons I ask are,
1: You are on a Class A network. This network class is normally reserved for large networks.
2: Judging by your Subnet Mask, the network is subneted.

None of the above suggests you are on a standard home network. It seems you are on some sort of private network, this would explain why the IP addresses of the Gateway, DNS server etc are all different.

Normally a DSL router/modem would provide all those functions under the same IP address.

PS: No need to mask the IP addresses when posting internal addresses, Nobody outside the network can see them.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
PPS: Assuming you are on a private network.

The only way you are going to get the correct settings on a network like this is if you either use DHCP or get the settings from the network administrator. There is no other way of knowing what IP addresses are already in use.

Your Dreambox did appear to get good settings when you used DHCP, but its probably just not being allowed through.

When you entered your username and password as mentioned in an earlier post, I would guess that you did this in a web browser. If so this is your problem, you cant do this in the dreambox because there is no proper web browser.

I suggest you borrow a pc from a friend,
1: Connect it to your network,
2: Enter your username and password,
3: Note down the settings shown by an 'ipconfig/all'.
4: Turn the PC off and remove it from the network.
5: Enter all the settings you were given in step 3 on your Dreambox.

I dont know if that will work because I cant know exactly how the network administrator has set the network up, but its worth a try..

Otherwise, speak to the Administrator and ask them to allow your Dreambox on the network.

I hope you don't intend using CS because port forwarding is something only the administrator will be able to set up for you, and they are highly unlikely to do it. :)

Another way forward for you is to set your linksys up as a network bridge. So, on one side of the bridge would be the Class A 10.0.0.0 network and on your side you would have a standard home Class C network something like 192.168.1.0. with all of your devices on this side, your PC, Dreambox etc with addresses like 192.168.1.1 , 192.168.1.2 and so on.