misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
D2MAC,

Just what is it?
I have just found this website, I have spent endless hours on the internet trying to find out about D2MAC.
I have found 2 recievers for sale a pace mss 466 & a oritron jupiter 5 and was thinking about buying one, which is the best? would my sky digital dish & lnb do and what else would i need?
After reading lots of mind blowing info on here is it worth buying into as it seems there is only a few channels on it now, if its no good anymore is there anything better?
I dont mind throwing a couple of hundered quid at it but dont want to spend a fortune
please someone give me some info that makes sense as my head is spinning!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Stop !! :eek:

Don't do it as you say there are only a few (go to lyngsat.com and look at 1'W and 5'E and have a look how many green coloured chnls you can see) left
so you will be wasting your money.

Decide what it is that you want to watch, how much money you are willing to spend, how much time you are willing to spend, do you see it as a hobby or are you just wanting more TV channels? not that there is anything wrong with that but it will give us an idea what to steer you away from if you don't have the time.

Where you are in the world matters a lot, as to what is available and finally are you willing to do a bit of DIY or do you have access to a friendly and reliable installer.

Have a bit of a think and a long look around this site as it is a lot bigger than it first appears. Then come back with some idea of what it is that you need and we will do our best to get you going.

Give us a shout. :)

Oh and welcome to the forum !

L

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mrminibus said:
D2MAC,

Just what is it?
I have just found this website, I have spent endless hours on the internet trying to find out about D2MAC.
I have found 2 recievers for sale a pace mss 466 & a oritron jupiter 5 and was thinking about buying one, which is the best? would my sky digital dish & lnb do and what else would i need?
After reading lots of mind blowing info on here is it worth buying into as it seems there is only a few channels on it now, if its no good anymore is there anything better?
I dont mind throwing a couple of hundered quid at it but dont want to spend a fortune
please someone give me some info that makes sense as my head is spinning!
I wouldn't have thought it was worth while investing in analogue equipment unless you are planning on opening a museum. Save your money and buy something up to date.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
toppervte33h said:
I wouldn't have thought it was worth while investing in analogue equipment unless you are planning on opening a museum. Save your money and buy something up to date.

Cheeky sod ;) :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Just after I posted that I thought Oh no...... then I thought maybe Analoguesat has gone on holiday. Sorry but whilst I too have a garage full of analogue units (slight exaggeration) I know it is a sore point with you but well it would not be fair to let people waste their hard earned pennies

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
Lancelot

At last a voice of reason, first things first I am in the sunny town of Bury (North Manchester).
I know very little really about this subject although I fitted my own dish for sky digital and before that anologue thats when I got intrested as I hooked up onto a Saudi sattelite I think instead of astra and first realised there were more to this than just sky,but to be honest I treated it like a tv ariel I looked at the surrounding ones and faced it in the same direction & then just fine tuned the picture.
Having said that I have had an intrest in all things electronic since the 80's when I had cb radio's when I had to master soldering bits together.
Its just I know nothing of sattlelite except what is sent to me via my sky digital box, so in answer to your question what do I want it for... more channels or rather just different channels & a hobby but reading this site it seems complicated is it ??
any light you can shed on this subject would be appreciated... Daren

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well mrminibus
It is as easy or complicated as you wish to make it. You mention that you accidentally came across other satellites when adjusting your dish. Those satellites and many many others are all in geosync orbit around the earth at some 25Km out I think or is it miles?. Anyhow they all have fixed positions (measured in degrees, e.g. 19.2E )on that curve which is known as the Clarke Belt. The shape of that curve or arc alters as you move further towards or away from the equator. Your first port of call needs to be h**p://lyngsat.com or h**p://kingofsat.net, have a look at what channels are in the clear and on which satellites and you will then get an idea of what is available and where. Then you need to decide if these clear or FTA (free to air) channels are enough to satisfy your curiosity. If they are then for peanuts you can pick up a dish and lnb and Lidle I understand have bargain basement receivers in at the moment which appear to be well supported technically. If however you have a more specific requirement for doing this i.e watching live footy etc then you need to be looking towards more technology driven equipment such as a receiver with CI slots for CAMs (conditional access modules) and cards etc. Only you know your own desires and your own budget constraints. Hope this helps

daveenty

Irregular Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
mrminibus
You'll be surprised to know that there are quite a few of us sharing this hobby in your sunny town (yep, me included) If you decide exactly what you want to do sat wise, PM me and I'll put you on to a few local people who can help you.:)
NOT rip-off merchants. There are more than a few of these about, even in Bury )(-red
There are also a lot of so called dealers who will sell you what they want you to have, and not what you need.
I have found out over the years (to my cost) just who to avoid.
Finally, I'm not a dealer (nor do I have anything to sell!) I threw my old d2mac decoder in the bin a long time ago, along with my Grundig analogue decoder! (sorry analoguesat:D )
Just a little help that's all.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
Daveenty

Thanx for the offer I may just take you up on that....
I can remember seeing a leaflet on lidle about 6 months ago having satellite stuff in but when I got there (day 2 it had all gone)
I like I know sad as it may seem Formula one and I have just found this f1satellite.co.uk and it seems to me pretty good please will you have a look and tell me what its like from the position of someone who actually knows what they are looking at...
£199 gets all the stuff and fit it yourself, but theres lots of compass stuff mentioned astra, astra 1 astra 2 hotbird I have heard these names on this site and presume they are satellites is any one better than the other or is it just the content that matters?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
mrminibus said:
I can remember seeing a leaflet on lidle about 6 months ago having satellite stuff in but when I got there (day 2 it had all gone)

Lidl do offer FTA digital equipment every so often - very cheap. The last receiver a Comag could be patched to receive more than FTA ;-)

You have to be quick as they are snapped up. As for the F1 offer this website just points to a dealer.

My advice would be to read some more on here and decide your budget pick the equipment and come back.

Someone here will be able to advise the best place to buy and then all you need is the advice in the 'stickies' at the top of each forum on how to set it up.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
I went to lidle today but they are not selling them at the mo...
What about an echostar 808 any good I can get one for £50 is it worth it?
I read on hear about one being good and to mate it wioth a disqe dish my modem disconnected then my pc crashed so I cant find it again to read on, should I get a motorised dish that will do loads of sattelites or just settle for one as the f1 would be my main subject, what is this disqe and should i oversize the dish for a better signal???
questions
questions
questions I know im full of em (sorry) but i know nothing... :)
ps why cant i pm anyone it says im not authorised???

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The LIdl offers only happen evry 6 months or so & sell out the same day. Echostars are good, but they cant be patched if thats the sort of thing you want. Disecq is a remote switching protocol to either move certain dish mounts, or switch between LNB's.

At 50 quid that Echo must be second hand? You can get a new receiver for less than a 100 quid if you look around.

Your pm is suspended until you have made a certain number of posts - to stop problems with folks signing up and spamming contributors

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
sure is 2nd hand well i say £50 its on ebay its 20 now plus a tenner p&p but i guess it will reach 50 it claims that it:) " benefits from the very latest Echostar Firmware which has Usals incorporated with in, this enables you to use this receiver with a DiSEqC motor and makes installation ultra simplicity, all you need do is to tell the receiver your Longitude and Latitude and it will calculate within seconds the positions of all available Satellites, IT'S THAT EASY".

is it?
So should i go for a fixed one perhaps a package where i know the reciever dish and lnb will work in harmoney?
or buy singles, dicisions dicisions dicisions !

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
mrminibus said:
IT'S THAT EASY"

Should be - never is.

Motorised is best as you have more satellite positions to chose from.

If you set the dish up and the motor, correctly, then USALS do help.

All the help is here just spent a lot of time reading the forums.

As Analoguesat says, the Lidl offers are not on that often and tend to be regional, if you get a chance grab a bargain when they do come up, they have a website that is worth visiting as they have new offers on Mondays and Thursdays.

daveenty

Irregular Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
mrminibus......just had a look at the site you mentioned. I would say that the price seems reasonable, but they don't tell you what make of stuff you're getting.
I'm going to be away for a couple of days, but will be back hopefully Thursday.
If you're still interested, let me know and I'll suggest one or two bits for you to play with.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
sounds good to me, enjoy your holiday or dont enjoy it if its work you boss wouldent like it..

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
ive been in to lidl but they have none, they said the same as you its only periodically that they seel them.
I phonned the national number but they couldent tell me when they would have them in so i have given up on them...
I took a visit to see daveenty though and had a look at his system...
I am impressed with sattelite tv that is not sky, there is so much you can recieve I am hoping to aquire an echostar box with a 88cm motorised dish in the next few days, daveenty explained lots about sattelite tv to me and i am pretty confident (he says) that i can install it well stick it on the wall and fit the box if not find thor... we shall see any tips ppl ??
Daren

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
mrminibus said:
ive been in to lidl but they have none, they said the same as you its only periodically that they sell them.

It's grab it while you can with Lidl - sometimes the receivers they sell 'Comag - digital' and 'Morgan - analogue' come up on eBay but always more expensive than in the shop.

Has been a while since the last offer so here's hoping they do another soon.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
It's grab it while you can with Lidl - sometimes the receivers they sell 'Comag - digital' and 'Morgan - analogue' come up on eBay but always more expensive than in the shop.

Has been a while since the last offer so here's hoping they do another soon.
Yeah, there was an offer last July, £49.90 for a FTA digi RX and peanuts for dish, lnb and meter. I went 10 mins b4 opening to get one for a German colleague. Long queue that swept into store like a pack of starving hyenas and trampled women under foot. As it happened, most of them were after 21 inch tellies with Dolby for £100. I saw one guy with four balanced on his trolly.

If you google for Lidl UK, their homepage features their specials altho their is a lot of crap to plough thru.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
No need now I paid twice as much as i should have and bought one from ebay, then the guy went on holiday for a week before posting it, im like a kid that missed christmas .

I got an echostar with 88 triax and seca cam
would like to see lidl's stuff when its on tho, did u not use it ?