Help on finding programmer

richdip

Reaction score
My Location
London, UK
Hi all,
After reading the posts in this forum, you have persuaded me to try programming my card myself!
I currently have an Aston CAM and a Hyundai HSS-800CI receiver with 2 LNBs: 1 pointing to Hotbird 13 degrees east and 2 pointing to Astra (old Sky position).
My cousin currently programs my card to unscramble D+ and Stream.
What is the cheapest and best programmer to buy to program the cards to unscramble the same channels?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Richard

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Apr-02 AT 06:57 PM (GMT)]Hi Richard, you may regret buying the just enough to do the job programmer ie: Millenium or similar. Systems are changing and it may longer term, require better memory cards than the gold card you are probably using at the moment and hence more flexible programmers.

I would without question recommend the Elvis as the minimum sensible purchase (around £45), but there are some superb tools in the slightly higher price bands like the VX Multi (can be obtained from our sponsors) or the Multi Pro, also widely available.

Also as a matter of interest, which version Aston Cam are you using? This may also influence what is available to you. Your receiver is the same model as the one i am using at present and whilst it has some limitations, the general performance is excellent.

Rolf

richdip

Reaction score
My Location
London, UK
Thanks for your advice Rolf.
I'm using a V1.05 Aston CAM.
And yes, the system is very good. However there is one problem with it: if you try and turn the receiver on with the CAM and card inserted, the receiver freezes with the ----- on the front screen without turning itself on. Then I have to turn off the receiver by the mains to get it back to normal. So what I do is take the CAM out, turn the receiver on and then reinsert the CAM when the receiver is fully on.
Otherwise it's a great system and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Richard

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Apr-02 AT 10:23 PM (GMT)]It shouldn't do that Richard, I would check the software version you are running against the version that is listed at http://www.hisat.co.uk look in th einfo section under Hyundai Tech. I downloaded the newer version and everything works well. All you will need to upload it is a nulmodem cable and the ability to read the instructions first, properly...I didn't :)

Rolf

PS. The 1.05 cam should be fine for ongoing changes in encryption.

richdip

Reaction score
My Location
London, UK
Thank you very much for your help Rolf.
I'll do as you say and if I run into trouble I'll need to ask you for some more help!
Richard

richdip

Reaction score
My Location
London, UK
Hi Rolf,
Well, I've looked at the receiver's system settings menu and it said:
Hardware Version: MP 1.1
Software Version: HDTR160C
Last Update: Jan 26 2001

I looked under 'Hyundai Tech' on the hisat.com website and the most recent software update is the Feb 2001 160c.bin file.
Therefore, I assume I already have the latest software version on the system.
So now I'm at a loss to solve the problem I had (see above), i.e. why does the system not turn on if I have the CAM inserted.
Any help would be very useful.
Thanks,

Richard

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes Richard it would appear that you have the latest software, there is always the chance of course that it has become corrupted. You could try placing the CAM in the other slot and see what happens, if you know someone else with a CAM, try theirs as well.

Rolf

richdip

Reaction score
My Location
London, UK
Hi Rolf,
I've followed your advice and purchased a null modem cable and downloaded the software updates from hisat.com. I tried to download the bn160c12.bin file and it goes fine upto the point where the program says: Waiting Termination Message. The screen on the front of the receiver has a dot that goes across the screen and then it stops and remains. I waited about 10mins and the program said that it terminated abnormally. So, next I tried the download the bn160c1.bin file and that went fine, all the way to when it says SUCC on the front of the receiver. But when I reconnected it back to the tv, all the channels had "Bad signal". So next I tried to download the bn160c12.bin file again but the exact same happened as before. So I unplugged the receiver, and connected it up to my tv and the channels were back. The CAM problem still hadn't been solved though.
Next I thought i'd try the software update for January instead of the February one. But the exact same thing happened as when I tried bn160c1.bin. So back I went to bn160c12.bin with the CAM problem.
I've tried switching CAM slots but it has no effect.
Thanks for reading all of this and if you have any further thoughts or ideas, please let me know.
Thanks once again Rolf,

Richard

(P.S. I havent been able to get hold of any other CAM to test so it may be the CAM that has the problem and not the receiver perhaps)