Help please - Skyplus

Helpplease

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Have just moved, new house has sky minidish with one cable have bought a oct lnb for sky+and a normal digi box,going to get sky HD in the new year. Firstly not sure what angle the lnb has to be at for Surrey uk? There are numbers 1-5 on it. Looking
My Location
Surrey uk
Hi just joined bit of a new to this. Have just moved the new house has a dish and one cable. Have bought a oct lnb for sky+ a digi box, and getting HD in the new year. Firstly what angle should the lnb be at for Surrey uk? There are numbers 1-5 on it. Also does it matter what connection on the lnb goes to what box, as I have a good signal quality on signal 2 and a poor signal on signal 1, when it rains I lose signal 1 and says no sat signal being received. There are two different cables to the box aswell the original and some I bought from a sat shop
100m £40 can anyone help?

Helpplease

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Have just moved, new house has sky minidish with one cable have bought a oct lnb for sky+and a normal digi box,going to get sky HD in the new year. Firstly not sure what angle the lnb has to be at for Surrey uk? There are numbers 1-5 on it. Looking
My Location
Surrey uk
Hi just joined bit of a new to this. Have just moved the new house has a dish and one cable. Have bought a oct lnb for sky+ a digi box, and getting HD in the new year. Firstly what angle should the lnb be at for Surrey uk? There are numbers 1-5 on it. Also does it matter what connection on the lnb goes to what box, as I have a good signal quality on signal 2 and a poor signal on signal 1, when it rains I lose signal 1 and says no sat signal being received. There are two different cables to the box aswell the original and some I bought from a sat shop
100m £40 can anyone help?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome to the forum.

The LNb skew should be on No.3 setting for your location and doesn't matter which port you use for which box/connection. It's possible you have a poorly terminated cable or water ingress where you have problems on input1.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome to the forum.

The LNb skew should be on No.3 setting for your location and doesn't matter which port you use for which box/connection. It's possible you have a poorly terminated cable or water ingress where you have problems on input1.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

The normal setting for the LNB skew would be about 3, but if the dish is not quite level or for some other reason you get a better signal with it adjusted to a different setting, you change it to that. Basically adjust it for best signal.

In normal rain,you shouldn't be losing signal on 28E at all, dish could be slightly out of adjustment (the extra weight of the octo could have caused this), or you could have an obstruction or a box fault. Only in really really heavy rain will a sky dish lose signal.

You can connect any LNB output to any receiver input.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

The normal setting for the LNB skew would be about 3, but if the dish is not quite level or for some other reason you get a better signal with it adjusted to a different setting, you change it to that. Basically adjust it for best signal.

In normal rain,you shouldn't be losing signal on 28E at all, dish could be slightly out of adjustment (the extra weight of the octo could have caused this), or you could have an obstruction or a box fault. Only in really really heavy rain will a sky dish lose signal.

You can connect any LNB output to any receiver input.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you fitted the Octo to an existing dish,the additional weight of the Octo might have flexed the LNB arm down sufficiently to take it to the margin - this can be corrected by increasing the dish elevation very slightly to compensate.

Before you slacken any bolts, do check, using a "buddy, which way the dish is out by gently pressing on the LNB arm. Correct dish accordingly.

Treat bolts to a dose of WD40 or similar some time before attempting any adjustment!

Also, as you are going to be running new cables for the "new" ports, consider replacing the single existing one while you are in the process ...............

Edit: Just seen Robbo's comment about Octo weight - consider it seconded!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you fitted the Octo to an existing dish,the additional weight of the Octo might have flexed the LNB arm down sufficiently to take it to the margin - this can be corrected by increasing the dish elevation very slightly to compensate.

Before you slacken any bolts, do check, using a "buddy, which way the dish is out by gently pressing on the LNB arm. Correct dish accordingly.

Treat bolts to a dose of WD40 or similar some time before attempting any adjustment!

Also, as you are going to be running new cables for the "new" ports, consider replacing the single existing one while you are in the process ...............

Edit: Just seen Robbo's comment about Octo weight - consider it seconded!

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
if someone is looking at the box and set it up on level check
you should get a quility and strength.
if you flex to arm slightly and hold it there you will see an increase in signal.and quality.
you must hold it there for 5 seconds were as the box is slow to responde to any movements.
if the signal goes up then the weight on the arm may have moved the dish slightly.
two radios would work better.
then losten the bolts and shift the dish up 1/4 inch or so.
i do this on big 2 meter dishes to align the scew to get it spot
on.
hope things work out ok
ralph:)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
if someone is looking at the box and set it up on level check
you should get a quility and strength.
if you flex to arm slightly and hold it there you will see an increase in signal.and quality.
you must hold it there for 5 seconds were as the box is slow to responde to any movements.
if the signal goes up then the weight on the arm may have moved the dish slightly.
two radios would work better.
then losten the bolts and shift the dish up 1/4 inch or so.
i do this on big 2 meter dishes to align the scew to get it spot
on.
hope things work out ok
ralph:)

Helpplease

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey uk
Thanks for the info, will try when we get a break in the weather! Thanks again will let you know how I get on.

Helpplease

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey uk
Thanks for the info, will try when we get a break in the weather! Thanks again will let you know how I get on.