Help Please!

SimonC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion
My Location
Sussex
Hi All

I have just purchased a "Passion" as it seemed to be a good buy to improve my freesat picture on my new HD TV. (It has, the picture is now great)
I have read lots of your comments and must confess it all looks like a foreign language to me, reseting TP's and motorised dishes, I've just plugged this box into my old SKY Dish!
My question is what HD channels can I get (Whithout too much technical work!) The scan I did during set up gave me BBC and Luxe. I was told I could get Ch4 HD?
How do I get Ch4 and any other channels that might be worth watching.
(Sorry if I am not serious about satellites, I just want to watch TV!!):confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
At the moment you will require a CAM (conditional access module) and a Sky Free To View card to see Channel 4 HD, as it is encrypted.

The card will need to be activated in a standard Sky digibox first.

Come summer, the Channel 4 bouquet should become free to air, as it is expected to join BBC Freesat, you may wish to wait until then.

SimonC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion
My Location
Sussex
Thanks for the info.

I have a freesat card in my digibox at present, does this mean if I buy a "Cam" I can put it in the "Passion" box and get Ch4, Ch 5 etc all from the new box?

If so, the obvious question is where do I get a "Cam"?!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are a couple of CAMs which will support the Sky Free To View card, I believe that the Trex and Diablo CAMs will work, but the card needs to be returned to the Sky digibox periodically to update. There are also another couple of CAMs around, which are supposed to allow the update, but I have yet to get hold of one to test.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

SimonC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion
My Location
Sussex
Great.

I will ordxer one tonight from the sponsor you mention.

You mention updates, if this "CAM" does work, can you explain "Allow Update" Do I need to do anything to ensure it continues to work?

sorry to sound so thick but this really is all very new to me.

thanks

SimonC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion
My Location
Sussex
Hi

I have just been to the site you mentioned to look at the "CAM" I need to put my SKY card in.

Reading through the various "CAMs" available it would appear they are used to un scramble pay channels.

Have I been missing something here, now I have this "Passion" box can I buy something to fit in the slots to give me pay channels without subscription? IE. sports or movies etc (Or have I got this very wrong?)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
No you haven't got it wrong, currently both the Diablo and Dragon/T-Rex Cams are opening the following packages:
Premiere 19E
Polsat and TPS 13E
Digi TV 1W
these channels have been open for some time but unfortunately will not be available for much longer as they are in the process of upgrading their encryption, but we usually get something to view.
Before buying check that your receiver is compatible, with the cams, and you will need a programmer, I recommend the Cas 3+ as this can programme both the Diablo and Dragon/T-Rex cam as well as cards.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
SimonC said:
Great.

I will ordxer one tonight from the sponsor you mention.

You mention updates, if this "CAM" does work, can you explain "Allow Update" Do I need to do anything to ensure it continues to work?

sorry to sound so thick but this really is all very new to me.

thanks

Before you go and get an OASIS CAM, I have read a few posts on other forums stating that this CAM does not work with Sky. Also one of the other sponsors who sells this states that it doesn't work with Sky. I don't know either way:confused

As for your other question I suggest you have a good read around in the CAMs section, there is plenty of info in there.

Robbo:)

SimonC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion
My Location
Sussex
Again, thanks for your help but I am now worried I am getting into something I will never understand!

I'm sure all on this site will laugh but I have never been on a forum site before let alone discussed such technical issues!!

The idea I can watch football and movies without subscription (Even in HD possibly) sounds fantastic, the trouble is, with out appearing to sound rude, the information regarding
"Premiere 19E
Polsat and TPS 13E
Digi TV 1W"
etc means absolutely nothing to me!!

I appologise for this long message but just in case there is still hope for me, in simple terms, can I put one of these cards into my "Passion" box and watch football/movies/discovery/Hd type channels? (Preferably without making adjustments or updates etc on a regular basis as I do not understand what this means!!!!)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
They are just package names together with the satellite they are on.

A full list is on here

_http://www.lyngsat.com/

e.g Premiere is on one of the satellites at 19.2E

_http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/premiere.html

to get those packages your dish would need to point at different satellites.