Help required please

jaypee638

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 s with 1.2m steerable dish 0.1db feed, computer intel quad core system with 4gb memory 1tb hdd running either mac osx or windows xp depending what os I prefer at the time
My Location
UK
Hi folks,

A few days ago, I was flashing the DM7000 with latest Gemini - and while everything seemed to go ok, when I rebooted I could not get past the opening Dreambox multimedia screen.
I have tried using a null modem cable, but as the DB has not loaded it's software the computer cannot talk to it.
Anyone out there have any ideas? :confused

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi JP,

First have you tried 'Flash Erase'?
(Apply power to box and hold in the top button on the front panel until 'Flash Erase' appears on the LCD)
If you have not tried then this may cure the problem.

Otherwise it is likely that JTAG reprogramming will be necessary.
This entails soldering connections to the circuit board which are then connected to a JTAG programming lead connected to a PC. The PC runs a JTAG program and the right software has to be used to reprogram/repair the boot loader.

I have never done this and it was the prospect of having to do it that persuaded me to run Multiboot from a USB memory stick from the start.
I have changed my image many many times but my images are in a USB stick, so the internal flash is left alone.
Way back in the days when I bought my DM7000 it was made very clear that repeatedly changing the flash image was asking for trouble! So much so that I expected every one with a 7000 would be running multiboot but it seems not. In fact I found quite the opposite that very few seemed even to have heard of it!!

If you get it running again, why not install a good CVS with no EMUs or Keys in flash and then use FlashWizard to setup and install whatever images you like in a 512MByte USB stick. If the image you have just installed in multiboot crashes or the install fails then you just boot to a working image or if all else fails the flash image, with no harm done. Just use FlashWizard to delete the crashed/corrupt image and try again.

Good luck and hope you get it working again.

Best wishes, John.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sound advice from td03.

Get yourself set up with multiboot - if the image gets corrupted you just switch off, pull the usb stick or cf card out, reboot and start again :D

jaypee638

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 s with 1.2m steerable dish 0.1db feed, computer intel quad core system with 4gb memory 1tb hdd running either mac osx or windows xp depending what os I prefer at the time
My Location
UK
td03-5 said:
Hi JP,

First have you tried 'Flash Erase'?
(Apply power to box and hold in the top button on the front panel until 'Flash Erase' appears on the LCD)
If you have not tried then this may cure the problem.

Otherwise it is likely that JTAG reprogramming will be necessary.
This entails soldering connections to the circuit board which are then connected to a JTAG programming lead connected to a PC. The PC runs a JTAG program and the right software has to be used to reprogram/repair the boot loader.

I have never done this and it was the prospect of having to do it that persuaded me to run Multiboot from a USB memory stick from the start.
I have changed my image many many times but my images are in a USB stick, so the internal flash is left alone.
Way back in the days when I bought my DM7000 it was made very clear that repeatedly changing the flash image was asking for trouble! So much so that I expected every one with a 7000 would be running multiboot but it seems not. In fact I found quite the opposite that very few seemed even to have heard of it!!

If you get it running again, why not install a good CVS with no EMUs or Keys in flash and then use FlashWizard to setup and install whatever images you like in a 512MByte USB stick. If the image you have just installed in multiboot crashes or the install fails then you just boot to a working image or if all else fails the flash image, with no harm done. Just use FlashWizard to delete the crashed/corrupt image and try again.

Good luck and hope you get it working again.

Best wishes, John.

No Coconut I'm afraid held button for almost 5 mins and it just laughed at me, so it looks like it could be Jtag, anyone done it before, or can point me in the right direction?
Thanks for the advice anyway, there is always the manufacturer for repairs I suppose.
regards
Jack
:-doh!

prwoolfall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox - Home Network of three.
My Location
Qatar & Turkey (UK sometimes)
The information is incorrect.

1. First use the image "Flash Erase" (from many different forums)

2. Flash with Null Modem

3. Then Flash (with a Null Modem) the latest CVS (available from Boxman or I Have A Dreambox forums).

4. Boot the box and set it up. Then use Flashwizard to install any image of your choice onto a usb device.

If the box does not boot after the stage 2. above then you have to 'JTAG'.

To do this you need a CAS Interface noting that you do not solder anything. The connection to the bootloader is similar to a floppy/hd ide on a PC.

Hope this helps.