Help! signal receiving problems only in one flat off communal satellite dish

Jo S

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Communal satellite dish serving block of 6 flats. Skydigibox running a freesat type set of channels.
My Location
SK23 Derbyshire
Hi - I hope there's someone out there who can help. We live in a block of 6 flats with a communal satellite system. Last Friday we had a short power cut and since then we have received the message 'No satellite signal being received' (I believe this is Error 29).

Other flats in the block are working, with two flats having their own smaller dishes anyway.

Our skydigibox has been tested and is apparently working, as is the TV.

No one knows who installed the original dish. One installer we contacted won't touch communal systems, the other (who the 'management company' recommended) didn't turn up and when we phoned said it was probably the box anyway.

My first question really is, can a single flat have issues with receiving from a communal dish? My second question is do we need to go down the road of having an individual dish fitted for our own flat, like two other flats in the block have done, or do they run off the communal satellite anyway? We are past caring how much this would cost, as we just want our TV back! Watching stuff on a 15inch computer screen is not fun!

Would be grateful for any feedback, as we are total technophobes and don't know where to begin. Many thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It's certainly possible for one feed from the system not to work, but unlikely. When you say other flats in the block are working, aside from the two who have their own dishes, do the others use satellite, or do they have cable?

Who checked the Sky Digibox and how?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You need to confirm if those other flats that are working are fed from the communal system or from separate dishes. It's possible the multiswitch has suffered a fault after the power interruption.

Jo S

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Communal satellite dish serving block of 6 flats. Skydigibox running a freesat type set of channels.
My Location
SK23 Derbyshire
Hi rolfw - the other flats are not on cable, but running from the communcal satellite dish. The Sky Digibox was tested by the people we bought it from and who also installed it. We took it first to their shop, and then they came on a callout and tested it in our flat - at which point they told us they didn't deal with communal systems so wouldn't investigate it any further.

Jo S

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SK23 Derbyshire
Hi satelliteman - the other flats are running off the communal system. I will mention the multiswitch to the next installer I contact.