Help the troops!

brizo247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digi box and mini dish
My Location
scotland
Hey Folks,

We re a bunch of guys serving in Iraq, we ve heard on the grapevine that theres a receiver you can buy that gets you showtime sports etc without a card.
Please could someone answer a few questions for us?

what equipment would we need to receive these channels and where can we buy it? some of our guys are due home on leave so Uk suppliers would be good.

One of the guys has some .......................removed.................. tech knowledge so please make any replies simple, we re just soldiers who want to watch a bit of footy in the desert!

If you have to buy a card could someone point out the cheapest uk based place and also the same for the equipment.

Thanks folks

Cpl Connelly

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Whilst there are receivers with built in card sharing devices (you connect them to a broadband connection) although popular they have proven to be exceedingly unreliable with servers getting busted by the Middle Eastern pay TV providers on regular occasions leaving the viewers with a nice free to air receiver.

Showtime isnt very expensive out there so you are recommended to get a proper subscription set up.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
brizo247 said:
Hey Folks,

We re a bunch of guys serving in Iraq, we ve heard on the grapevine that theres a receiver you can buy that gets you showtime sports etc without a card.
Please could someone answer a few questions for us?

what equipment would we need to receive these channels and where can we buy it? some of our guys are due home on leave so Uk suppliers would be good.

One of the guys has some experience of .............removed.............. and he's about the only one of us with any tech knowledge so please make any replies simple, we re just soldiers who want to watch a bit of footy in the desert!

If you have to buy a card could someone point out the cheapest uk based place and also the same for the equipment.

Thanks folks

Cpl Connelly

Hello brizo247,
You can buy a subscription to Showtime in Iraq, instead of the UK.
They are very expensive in the UK.
Also if I am correct, there is no VAT tax in Iraq, that's why they are cheaper than other middle eastern Arab countries.
It is like asking to buy a gallon of petrol from London instead of Baghdad. :-rofl2
Take a look at this thread
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/showtime-middle-east/106176-showtime-package.html
Ask any satellite shop where you are to help you (receiver+smartcard) or try to buy it from the internet.
Hope that this helps. :)

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
The receiver they are talking about is an Echolink (3020, I think) which should be supplied with a card called the Abracadabra card. The receiver/card package is relatively cheap as I understand it in that together should not cost much more than about £100. At the moment, by given accounts, the card has indeed held up well for a couple of months or so for Showtime/ART/Kabelkiosk etc packages. However, as with these things there can be no guarantee as to how much longer the card will keep holding up.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m motorised qualitv decoder manhatten blind search decoder echostar 3600ip
My Location
glasgow
A cheap decoder with a multi card reader and a gamma card would be your best and cheapest option.The card can be programmed with the showtime files.Keep up the good work it's much appreciated:-worship