Help to update an EMU

spock_uk

Reaction score
My Location
NE England
Hi Guys, the story goes on...and on... I am pretty good at reflashing now. I finally got the DreamUpLAN working right, that saves a bit of time. I now need a bit of help. I want to update my EMUs. I have ruCannon 5 installed using newcamd 5.14 and I want to upgrade to the latest 5.20. I have downloaded 2 files - the .zip version and the ru addon .tar version so I can load the update as an addon. That is the problem, I have tried several ways and none work. Is there any one out there who knows how to ftp the .tar file onto the dreambox so rucannon can see it to add it in? Any assistance wil be greatly appreciated

The dreambox is a superb piece of Kit and I am learning a lot from using and playing about with it.. especially patience!:rolleyes:

If only there was a way to add RAM to it :)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
spock_uk said:
Hi Guys, the story goes on...and on... I am pretty good at reflashing now. I finally got the DreamUpLAN working right, that saves a bit of time. I now need a bit of help. I want to update my EMUs. I have ruCannon 5 installed using newcamd 5.14 and I want to upgrade to the latest 5.20. I have downloaded 2 files - the .zip version and the ru addon .tar version so I can load the update as an addon. That is the problem, I have tried several ways and none work. Is there any one out there who knows how to ftp the .tar file onto the dreambox so rucannon can see it to add it in? Any assistance wil be greatly appreciated
If only there was a way to add RAM to it :)

ftp the .tar.gz file into the tmp folder and then see if it comes up in the addon menu. If so, select it and it will be unzipped and loaded where you need it.
If you've tried that and it doesnt work then you need someone with more expernce than me.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Seen something about a memory stick which goes into the USB at back of STB.

izzauq

Reaction score
for a quick and dirty update of an emu ftp the box and delete newcam.ppc in var/bin folder and replace with the newer version from newcam 5.20

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
izzauq said:
for a quick and dirty update of an emu ftp the box and delete newcam.ppc in var/bin folder and replace with the newer version from newcam 5.20

But then you will need to do a chmod via ftp properties

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
This is the normal modus operandi, either when things get screwed up, you have an image that doesn't do everything for you, the auto-update stops working, or you want that update the second it comes out. You'll get to know which files to chmod after a while. It usually says in the readme. It's good to know how the file structure fits together, and to run some backups for when things go poo-poo (...and they WILL go poo-poo!).

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
hi there,
not sure if im ok asking this on the forum.... :/

could you tell me all the software i need for this too..
as i will be getting my dreambox on sunday and i will need to do emulation as well.
i am thinking im best getting prepared, i am getting a 120gig hard drive saturday and a long network cable.
if i get all the software, i could get working on it soon as its installed :)

thats another thing? the hard drive, is there anypoint in paying extra for an ATA133 with 8 meg cache..... or is it pointless as the box wont use it anyway? anyone got any thoughts on whats the best drive to get

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Dreambox uses ATA66, and you really should get a disk from the 'approved' HD list.

See the official website for a list. It would be a bad idea to go for anything else.

Get your box up and running with the stock image, and them come back. We'll sort you out with something more interesting. ;)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
sounds interesting :)

i didnt know there was a hard drive list either... BGonaSTICK your a mind full of information :)

when i do buy one, do i just stick it in and the box will pick it up... or do i have to format and build the menu system, like i did on my xbox?

Samsnake

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7000S + 120Gb HDD, 0.8m Dish, Staab H-H Motor. Fortec Star Passion
My Location
Swindon, UK
RedDevil_UK said:
sounds interesting :)

i didnt know there was a hard drive list either... BGonaSTICK your a mind full of information :)

when i do buy one, do i just stick it in and the box will pick it up... or do i have to format and build the menu system, like i did on my xbox?
I was in a similar position to yourself, the learning is part of the fun. Check out the manufactures website for tried and test hard disk drives, its Dream... GmbH in Germany - a google search will give you the site. The hardest part for me was getting the lid off the box! Installation and formatting was straightforward although the cable connector to the hard disk does fit tightly up to the back plane. Make sure you have 2 plastic mount rails which should come with your box, these support the HDD over the dreambox circuit board. When I got my HDD later from the web it came without mounting screws so I had to source them seperately. There are lots of threads on the internet to help which are well worth seeking out. Be wary of generating static when fitting, have fun.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Nice 1st post... :)

Just to clarify if I may, the formatting is a simple option from the Dreambox setup menu once the disk is installed. No probs, and very quick.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You will need a HDD IDE cable and drive power cable also.

Fitting is dead easy, just take your time.

WillowMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x 85cm transparent dishes - one fixed with 3 quattro LNBs 13E 19.5E 28.2E - one Vbox motorised dish 45E to 45W
DM7000, Sagem HD TNTSat, Strong SRT 6410 TNTSat
Triax 4 sat multiswitch
My Location
Midlands, Uk
Take care opening the lid. Mine was jammed and trying to open it the front panel came off disconnecting the ribbon cables. I have had to send it back for repair. It is back for repair a second time as the front pane display and on/off button didn't work when it came back.

Don't put any pressure on the front panel. It's only held on with flimsy clips.
The second time I opened it more carefully by lifting the back of case away from the base before sliding it back.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
WillowMan said:
Take care opening the lid. Mine was jammed and trying to open it the front panel came off disconnecting the ribbon cables. I have had to send it back for repair. It is back for repair a second time as the front pane display and on/off button didn't work when it came back.

Don't put any pressure on the front panel. It's only held on with flimsy clips.
The second time I opened it more carefully by lifting the back of case away from the base before sliding it back.

There are very detailed instructions,
plus many photographs
with arrows pointing to the bits being talked about
in the Dreambox DM7000S User's manual which can be downloaded from
the dreambox official site
http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de
It even tells you in the parts list:
4 Hard Disk Screws of your choice.

If you have the current version of D/B with vents in the right hand side, then these instructions are not totally right.
They say to equip y/self with a torx T10 driver.
You don't need this because the side screws are now Philips.

It shows you how to slide the lid backwards to get it off.

The list of tested HDs is on
http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/Bereiche/Produkte/HD_tested.php
it might not show here but there is an _ between HD and tested.