help with install

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky Digital Box, cheapo LNB0.3db,
80cm offset dish in Germany.
1.35m Offset Dish, Pace 2600 Sky Digi Box. Invacom Twin LNB. In Spain.
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
hi all

i've got a 80cm dish, and want to set it up to work with my sky box.
i have the lnb i was using before in lanzarote, where do i start?
i tried this afternoon, got about 1/3 of the bar in signal strength, but not quality or network id came up.
where am i going wrong?

please help

p.s i'm in the south of germany, where i've been told an 80cm dish is fine.

thanks
Jon

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
You probably have the dish pointing at Astra 1 at 19 degrees east. Move it to the left and down a bit. A digital meter would really help.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
snap said:
You probably have the dish pointing at Astra 1 at 19 degrees east. Move it to the left and down a bit. A digital meter would really help.

ah ha, thanks loads, will try if tomorrow, otherwise i will need to contact an installer €€€ #any other opinions or help would be great.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
If you are using a sat beeper, one of those small things with an earpiece, Astra 2 is not hard to find, provided you are using a compass or have a dish on an adjoining building as a guide. If you are on Astra 1, there will be a weaker tone just to the left, then another slightly stronger a little bit more left, and down slightly. this will be Astra 2. The middle one is Astra 3 at 23 degrees. With a bit of practice, you can recognise these three tones on the beeper. If the direction is well out, you may be seeing another orbital position altogether, so its best to try to copy the direction of other dishes around you, but bear in mind that in Germany, these are likely to be pointing to Astra 1 at 19 degrees.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
yes, you are right about the other dishes pointing all over the place!!! there are many people getting russian and turkish tv near me, so i dont really have a guide, other than the readings i took on my GPS from where i used to live in lanzarote.
i will try again when the snow stops!

thanks
jon

benidormgary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sigh-only Sky for now-Im back in the UK.......
My Location
Blackpool(Ex-Benidorm and Paignton)
Hello,Jon.
If you havent much experience,setting your dish up with just a Sky box can be difficult,but not impossible-,its much easier with a FTA receiver!.

The easiest way is to find out your location co-ordinates(in your case,48.05N,8.43E,and use this info to find out when the sun is in line with the chosen satellite and your dish-,and,secondly, the elevation of your dish.

For Astra2(28.2E)-the time tomorrow,(and for the next 2 or three days or so) will be approx 11.17 am. Elevation 31.5 degrees.

For Astra1(19.2E)-the time will be 11.52am(approx). Elevation 33.8 degrees.

So,if you can set up the direction at these times,and your dish has elevation settings-it should be "all systems go"!. Good luck.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
benidormgary said:
Hello,Jon.
If you havent much experience,setting your dish up with just a Sky box can be difficult,but not impossible-,its much easier with a FTA receiver!.

The easiest way is to find out your location co-ordinates(in your case,48.05N,8.43E,and use this info to find out when the sun is in line with the chosen satellite and your dish-,and,secondly, the elevation of your dish.

For Astra2(28.2E)-the time tomorrow,(and for the next 2 or three days or so) will be approx 11.17 am. Elevation 31.5 degrees.

For Astra1(19.2E)-the time will be 11.52am(approx). Elevation 33.8 degrees.

So,if you can set up the direction at these times,and your dish has elevation settings-it should be "all systems go"!. Good luck.

Hi Gary
so, just to clarify. do i need to line the dish up (i.e point it in the direction of the sun) with the sun at 11.17am tomorrow?
thanks
jon

benidormgary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sigh-only Sky for now-Im back in the UK.......
My Location
Blackpool(Ex-Benidorm and Paignton)
jon cann,
Yep-assuming its sunny at that time!. Post back if you cant do it in the next day or so,as the times will change slightly.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
thanks
i hope the snow stops tomorrow so i can try it out.

jon