Horizontal Nightmare

Bamboccio

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dual feed monoblock LNB located on a rooftop (Astra and Hotbird), almost impossible to reach. My receiver is a Manhattan DSR 5500. Initially the system was working great, all trasponders with good signal. After a while Horizontal trasponders started progressively to loose signal strenght and some disappeared. Yesterday the final hit and just two H frequencies are still available (altough with a very poor signal). My DSR has the un-famous chip problem where the channel list gets corrupted. All the V frequencies have a very good strength. Now I was wondering if this is a dish pointing, LNB or receiver problem. To make the headache even worst I do not know anyone that has another receiver I can test with! Anyone any suggestion?

Many thanks!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It could well be an alignment problem, but you're not going to find that out without the use of another receiver or putting a meter on the LNB. If you know someone with a Sky digibox, you can test with that, all you ned to do is add the relevant frequencies and polarities in the manual tuning menu.

Bamboccio

Reaction score
Thanks! That may make my task easier then. If not I will have to beg one shop to let me test the receiver!

Many thanks!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
There was a dip on a couple of hotbird transponders yesterday and (I think) it was H polarity. Back ok now though.

AdinHH

Reaction score
It sounds like your dish is moving (maybe because of recent high winds?) so it would be an alignment problem.
The other possibility is an LNB problem (not switching polarities between V & H and/or not responding to High/Low band switching tone).
At the moment, my bet is on dish alignment due to wind (of the weather variety).

Bamboccio

Reaction score
Thanks! AdinHH, you lost the bet :D It was the LNB who went. Was a humax monoblock with twin output. The horizontal polarity was gone in both outputs. I must say that one out was without cable so maybe some water got in. Also it's strange that as I said the horizontal decreased over time and died definitely after those big storms... Maybe some of you will know why, I can only hope it won't happen again!

Thanks