Hotbird + Astra2/Sky

paradoxni

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Minidish with multi-lnb @ 13/19.2/28.3
My Location
Belfast
Hey folks,

We have recently moved into a house with a Sky Minidish (zone2). My flatmate has a Polsat receiver and I would like to receive both Sky + Hotbird on the same dish.

1. If keeping the sky dish, is there a monoblock / adapter / arm that would allow dual sat on minidish?

2. If replacing the dish, would this stretch as far as 13 and 28.3 degrees? _www.octagoneurope.co.uk/cart/index.php?l=product_detail&p=29

Unparsed URL [Admin]

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi,

You'll find the dish won't be suitable for the spacing required. Options are, a seperate dish for Hotbird or upgrade the dish to an 80cm with offset LNb bracket / monoblock in the above url.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
I think it is possible but you won't get the best results

paradoxni

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Excellent chaps, thanks!

Seems an 80cm dish is fairly cheap. The 4-15 degree monoblock I posted above is also not expensive, however I cannot find any reviews of how good it actually is and whether anyone has stretched it as far as 13 - 28.3.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Out of choice, I would go LNb offset bracket as you'll have much more adjustment available.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go for one of these with separate LNBs: ebay 260860279472

paradoxni

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
rolfw said:
Go for one of these with separate LNBs: ebay 260860279472

Thanks that looks nice and cheap!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, I have one and it's tickety-boo: Do take care not to overtighten the holders though as they are somewhat brittle (ie I broke one!).

paradoxni

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Cheers guys!

I have ordered some kit and will see how I get on. Does it make a difference on which sat is centred and which is offset? I presume the strongest signal (Astra2?) should be the offset one and the weakest should be centred on the dish?

paradoxni

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
folks many thanks for the info!

I ordered the cheap lnb holder linked above, an extra LNB and diseqc switch. Held off buying an 80cm dish for another week, but since I had all the other kit I thought Id test it out on our zone2 sky dish (Belfast).

Not exactly sure how I fluked it all, but basically centred the dish on astra1@19.2 picked up around 50% strength (have no interest in this sat so left it at that).

I then bolted on the lnb holder with the hotbird lnb right next to the astra1 and the astra2 lnb on the opposite side, with slightly more distance between. (I bent the lnb holder into a curve before fitting). Angled the holder slightly so hotbird was low and astra2 high.

Got a signal straight away on astra2, tweaked the spacing and holder angle a bit to acheive 75% signal.

Moved on to hotbird..needed a steeper angle than above which dropped astra2 signal slightly, but achieved 60% on hotbird!!

I am now getting perfect picture on all sky + hotbird channels (all in overcast clouds and raining).

I will post a pic of my delapodated rusty minidish in a while....I am slighly amazed that I pulled this off, pretty sure not everyone gets it this easy!

paradoxni

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Here's a pic. Not great.

Sent from my Legend using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1318687471823.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1318687471823.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 110

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yep, very good , and especially for a first attempt.

paradoxni

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
All thats left is to hook up the diseqc switch and job done! All without a new dish.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
9/10 enterprise points there -well done.

Luca

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Minidish - Sky+, DreamBox 500+
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
My Location
Manchester
paradoxni said:
Here's a pic. Not great.

Sent from my Legend using Tapatalk

A fine job done there sir.

I'm looking for the exact same setup, may I ask what LNB holder/bracket you bought? Also how did you go about finding 19.2E, trial and error with a Sat Finder/Meter or did you go for the straight up compass?

paradoxni

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
I actually lost hotbird during the rain, so abandoned the 3 lnb setup, instead centering on astra2 (as the dish was already setup for this) and then adjusting the offset lnb to hotbird, based on pure luck!

****************** (Was a Link to Vortech Trading)

See this guys ebay site. He does 2 lnb and 3 lnb holders depending on your needs.

[warning]Live external links are not permitted. I have removed it. eBay Links should be posted only as "Item Number yyyyyyy". Other Links can be disabled by eg prefacing them with _ or another redundant character[/warning]

flickerrr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000
My Location
n.Ireland
hey mate sorry to resurrect this thread but hard finding anyone else in belfast that has done what im thinking about! Are you still using the 3 lnb setup? I know the vortech holder you are talking about but that lnbs did you go for - do they have to be special sky ones?

Luca

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Minidish - Sky+, DreamBox 500+
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
My Location
Manchester
flickerrr said:
hey mate sorry to resurrect this thread but hard finding anyone else in belfast that has done what im thinking about! Are you still using the 3 lnb setup? I know the vortech holder you are talking about but that lnbs did you go for - do they have to be special sky ones?
If you go to www . satbeams . com / footprints - and select the 13.0E satellite from the top, you'll see a nice footprint on the map for where the Hotbird satellite reaches. Fact is both, 28.2E and 13.0E, are mighty strong sats, I'm in the second band of the Hotbird satellite and I get a crystal picture. Belfast is in the 3rd wave/band of it and you should be pretty fine too. Click Belfast on the map once and it'll show some details and what dish it recommends, it say 55cm... I just used the standard Sky mini-dish (45cm/50cm I think) and it was the Type 2 dish as well (wide dish, short height). LNB? Cheap one, the Sky ones are good to go, use anything really.
But of course I don't completely get all channels 'cause I aligned it by hand and left it on my unused-wheelie bin, and also I'm in band/wave 2 which is stronger than your are so I couldn't really speak on your behalf about what you'd get or won't get.

I hope that's some use to you mate.