How can I receive AD sports satellite TV channel in the Uk

trev1978

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.25m motorised dish, 1.85m prime focus fixed, spiderbox 7000, technomate 5400USB super
My Location
Ballymena, Northern Ireland
Hi all,

Has anyone managed to lock onto AD sports in the uk and if so what is the most feasible option- 7'W or 26'E. Also what dish size are you looking at?

Thanks

Trev

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Sadly I don't think either 7°W or 26°E are feasible in Northern Ireland. Someone did manage to lock onto AD Sports a couple of years ago, using a 2.4M dish I think. He was in Berkshire I believe. (You can search the forum for the thread, it was incredibly long!!) One of the main problems was that he was using an AD Sports receiver which had a really poor tuner. I have difficulty picking up Badr 6 at 26°E and have never locked onto Nilesat 201 here despite getting both horizontal and vertical transponders from the other 7°W sats more or less 24/7 on a 1.2M dish.

You must be looking at a dish of 3M + at a minimum but I have a feeling it would need to bigger than that and as such probably prohibitively expensive.

Edit : To save you searching this was the thread http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...lti-sat-motorised-systems/178950-dish-ok.html

Hope you have an hour or two free to read through it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
trev1978 said:
Hi all,

Has anyone managed to lock onto AD sports in the uk and if so what is the most feasible option- 7'W or 26'E. Also what dish size are you looking at?

Thanks

Trev

Northern Ireland - basically forget it due to the dish size required.

renshai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm800
My Location
Irl
Here 25 miles north of Dublin using a 1.8m channel master and a DM800 receiver I get no sign of AD Sports on either satellite. Can lock on both satellites but no signal on the transponers hosting AD Sports.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
renshai said:
Here 25 miles north of Dublin using a 1.8m channel master and a DM800 receiver I get no sign of AD Sports on either satellite. Can lock on both satellites but no signal on the transponers hosting AD Sports.

Thats no surprise - its 2.4m in Berkshire so you are probably looking at 4m+ in the Dublin area!

sharing43

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm500
My Location
uk
Hi I have read all the threads concerning AD sports, do you guys have any idea what size dish would be required for the likes of Liverpool? If the likes of Swansea and Berkshire are having good signal levels what are the chances of me getting it with a 2.4 channel master, or 3m Prodelin dish??

I just wish someone round here had already tried lol.

Thanks in advance

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi sharing43, welcome to the forum

Unfortunately fringe reception i.e. reception outside of the predetermined footprint is a black art with no rules, what works in Liverpool may not work in Southport and visa versa, therefore it really is a suck it and see situation but 3mtrs would be the minimum starting point with no guarantees and it is unlikely you would get planning permission for a dish of that size, apart from the enormous cost of the dish and concrete mount

sharing43

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm500
My Location
uk
Thanks for your help! Even if your advice was not the answer i was looking for... :-P