How do I get Sport 1 Digital on

Welsh pets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70cm dish pointing to Astra 1 satellite connected to sky box, and standard sky dish and box to Uk tv
My Location
Wales
I have been watching Eurosport International and occasionally Sport 1 on my old Sky analogue equipment for years. In readiness for the digital switchover in Germany at the end of the month I have tried connecting a Sky box to the dish that has a Grundig universal LNB. I have had no problems adding German Eurosport to the box's additional channels together with others such as RTL. However, when I add Sport 1 ( 12480V 27.5 3/4) although I find and save the channel, when I try to view it I get the channel name on screen by no signal. Is this channel available free to air or is it my equipment that is unsuitable?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, it's FTA.

12480 MHz is one of the Transponders that is commonly affected by DECT phone interference.

If you have a cordless phone, turn off the base unit and see if that improves matters.

If it does, shuffle your kit around so the problem doesn't recur.

Welsh pets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70cm dish pointing to Astra 1 satellite connected to sky box, and standard sky dish and box to Uk tv
My Location
Wales
Tivù said:
Yes, it's FTA.

12480 MHz is one of the Transponders that is commonly affected by DECT phone interference.

If you have a cordless phone, turn off the base unit and see if that improves matters.

If it does, shuffle your kit around so the problem doesn't recur.

Thanks for the advice. I've tried turning off the base unit but it made no difference. Could the dish be slightly out of alignment? Is alignment more critical for digital reception than analogue?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Did you unplug the base unit as well as just switching it off?

Welsh pets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wales
Analoguesat said:
Did you unplug the base unit as well as just switching it off?

I just turned it off but have now unplugged it but still do not get a signal.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I experienced the same problem, due to a DECT phone, remove the phone completely then re-scan the channel in, although Sky digital receivers are not really any good for viewing other satellites, I'd advise you to get something different, you should be able to view Sport 1.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As for alignment, yes it is more critical due to the cliff effect.

But if you are getting everything else, I'd be surprised if the alignment is actually an issue.

That said, I can't immediately think of another possible cause for your problem.

Welsh pets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wales
Tivù said:

But if you are getting everything else, I'd be surprised if the alignment is actually an issue.

That said, I can't immediately think of another possible cause for your problem.

Tried removing phone and rescanning with no result. I might try to realign the dish.

Welsh pets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wales
Tivù said:

Although the LNB is labelled universal, it is about 15 years old....might it not cover this frequency?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welsh pets said:
Although the LNB is labelled universal, it is about 15 years old....might it not cover this frequency?

Yes it will almost definitely be missing the high band frequencies, cheap as chips to get a replacement

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, LNB's are quite cheap these days, might go for a new one anyway. I had experienced funny things due to LNB's starting to fail, and they weren't even 10 years old. But also make sure the dish is aligned, that could make a big difference

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Now you've clarified about the LNB, a new one seems to be the likely answer ................ plus ensuring the LNB settings in the box are correct (Universal, Universal 1 or Universal 9750/10600 ----- whatever syntax your box uses).

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it's an old Sky box, it could well be the box is faulty, try 12552 V 22000 5/6, that will tell you whether the high band on the LNB is working.

Welsh pets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wales
T_G said:
Well, LNB's are quite cheap these days, might go for a new one anyway. I had experienced funny things due to LNB's starting to fail, and they weren't even 10 years old. But also make sure the dish is aligned, that could make a big difference

I've checked the alignment. The azimuth seems ok but the elevation is about 10degees out(16.7 instead of 26.7). I cannot adjust with shearing off the rusted fixing clamps. As other channels are crystal clear, would altering the elevation make much difference?

Welsh pets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wales
rolfw said:
If it's an old Sky box, it could well be the box is faulty, try 12552 V 22000 5/6, that will tell you whether the high band on the LNB is working.

When I try this I get a list of channels but when I add them and try to view I get the channel name and no signal message (the same as I get with Sport 1)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
DO NOT shift the Elevation by ten degrees!

Even a couple of tenths of a degree will lose you all reception.

The dish sounds fine, which leaves us with

either

Replace the LNB (Variously recommended up to and including Post #12

and/or

check for a known box issue as advised at Post #13

LNBs are cheap as chips.

Welsh pets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wales
Tivù said:
DO NOT shift the Elevation by ten degrees!

Even a couple of tenths of a degree will lose you all reception.

The dish sounds fine, which leaves us with

either

Replace the LNB (Variously recommended up to and including Post #12

and/or

check for a known box issue as advised at Post #13

LNBs are cheap as chips.

I have a single output LNB that I rmoved from my other sky dish when I fitted a new multi outlet LNB. I'll try that.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good idea - although Sky LNBs have different fittings and different feedhorn shapes to generic 40mm collar mount LNBs.

But for a strong Satellite like 19E, the feedhorn shape mismatch will not matter and you should be able to lash the LNB up fairly easily ...... ignore the peg and pin fitting for a Sky dish and, if the collar doesn't quite seem to fit properly, just nip off any ribs/projections on the Sky LNB body. Pretty easy.

We hobbyists like the "make-do and mend" approach!