How do I receive BBC hd?

dave_ryman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm motorised dish. Technomate 5402 hd
My Location
Guildford
Hi there. I'm a newbie to satellite TV & a newbie on this forum, too, so apologies if this is a dumb question.

We have our motorised dish and Technomate 5402 hd receiver all set up. I seem to be getting to grips with alignment, APIDs, frequencies and so on.

I have, however, failed to receive BBC HD or BBC ONE HD. We did find both on 19.2E Astra 1, but with no actual reception of picture or sound. We generally get better reception of other channels on 28.2E Astra 2, but cannot find the BBC HD channels at that location.

I've looked around the Internet for information. The BBC website talks about FEC: I've no idea how this ties in with APID or VPID.

We do receive other Freesat HD channels, such as ITV HD & Channel 4 HHD

Dave :confused

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not possible to find them on 19.2E as they are not there!

Don't fall into the common trap of assuming that because when you scan a list headed eg 19.2E, that the channels you may get are from 19.2E ............... they can only be channels from where the dish is actually aligned to.

"Satellites" are dumb and often out of date crude data tables and what they are called is only of relevance if they correlate to the actual dish position and are accurate.

As frequencies and other parameters are re-used across the arc, then if you scan a "Satellite" you will probably get some channels, but not from that "Satellite".

Getting an apparent result but without Video or Audio is a sure sign of being on the wrong satellite.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
BBC1 HD and BBC HD parameters are:

10847 23000 8/9 S2 QPSK

It is most important the modulation parameters are correct as well as frequency, symbol rate and polarisation, if you are manually scanning.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dave_ryman said:
Hi there. I'm a newbie to satellite TV & a newbie on this forum, too, so apologies if this is a dumb question.

We have our motorised dish and Technomate 5402 hd receiver all set up. I seem to be getting to grips with alignment, APIDs, frequencies and so on.

I have, however, failed to receive BBC HD or BBC ONE HD. We did find both on 19.2E Astra 1, but with no actual reception of picture or sound. We generally get better reception of other channels on 28.2E Astra 2, but cannot find the BBC HD channels at that location.

I've looked around the Internet for information. The BBC website talks about FEC: I've no idea how this ties in with APID or VPID.

We do receive other Freesat HD channels, such as ITV HD & Channel 4 HHD

Dave :confused

List half a dozen or so channels you actually get and we will tell you if you are getting the right set of satellites.

dave_ryman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm motorised dish. Technomate 5402 hd
My Location
Guildford
Thanks for that. Got them both using the info you just supplied (Vertical). Still a little bit puzzled, because I'm sure I used that TP in a search before.

Cheers, Dave

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent - parameters for HD Channels are more complex than for SD as different modulation techniques are employed in some cases!

Keep an eye on listings sites like flysat, lyngsat, kingofsat etc if the Channels go AWOL again!