how far have you travelled to get a satellite dish?

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD SE, Dreambox 500S, Skybox F5S, 90cm Solid Dish, Tm2600 Motor, Inverto Black Ultra LNB! :)
My Location
Lost...
Yup.
I can fit a 1.2 meter into the rear seats of a VW Passat estate, but only after some wrangling.
Much better on roof rack attached to roof rack.
Above 1.2 you need a van or roof rack.
This is a 1.4:

View attachment 92792

fits nicely on the roof rack,
think im going to keep an eye out for a roof rack...

Yes, confirm, in universals, 1,2m dish fits perfectly. For bigger dishes also trailer is fine. One fried of mine, after seeing my getting too many dishes, said I should get rid of this trailer. I replayed that then delivery will cost for me much more :-rofl2.

yea forget a roof rack just get a trailer lol

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD SE, Dreambox 500S, Skybox F5S, 90cm Solid Dish, Tm2600 Motor, Inverto Black Ultra LNB! :)
My Location
Lost...
yes, if you have a tow hitch.
I don't have one.
But I have roof bars...

got a tow bar but no roof rack

A

archive10

Perhaps you should join forces!
Considering Saj1985 is lost, that may result in some difficulties joining forces...
If, however, Saj1985 were to be found in the UK, there'd still be the small detail of 600 miles travel required to join forces each time we'd have to do so...

A

Archive4

Considering Saj1985 is lost, that may result in some difficulties joining forces...
If, however, Saj1985 were to be found in the UK, there'd still be the small detail of 600 miles travel required to join forces each time we'd have to do so...
As you so eloquently posted, Saj1985 is lost, so what makes you think he , or she ( to be politically correct ) is in the UK? Have you checked the shed and the garage recently?

A

archive10

As you so eloquently posted, Saj1985 is lost, so what makes you think he , or she ( to be politically correct ) is in the UK? Have you checked the shed and the garage recently?
Or, perchance he is crashed on a remote pacific island with weird natives and hatches and doors in the ground everywhere???
Gives whole new aspect to sharing the roof rack... (whatever the euphemism would be about in the first place...)

A

Archive4

Or, perchance he is crashed on a remote pacific island with weird natives and hatches and doors in the ground everywhere???
Gives whole new aspect to sharing the roof rack... (whatever the euphemism would be about in the first place...)
Yes lost me as well, as there were no aliens on the remote island with subterranean dwellers who have tow bars and sun roofs

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 44

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Absolutely.

To hell with the dish - We want scenery.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Pretty. Does the snow melt in those places?

A

archive10

ref Bargain Second-Hand Big Dishes For Sale

Total 1100 km to get the Channel Master home, very nice trip and all well.
Will make a post with some more landscape pictures.
Well done! Welcome to the CM180 owner's club. I'm sure you will find year's of benefit from a well-designed and engineered piece of sat-reception hardware.
Make sure it has good foundations (solid base for the 115 cm pole that you put the mounting bracket on), and it will deliver.

A

archive10

Absolutely.

To hell with the dish - We want scenery.
No-no, sod the scenery. We want the dish!
(In the scenery, then, if you must, but the dish is central...)

"Scenery without a dish is like a body without a soul", to paraphrase one of the old greek buggers (ancient philosophers, that is, not 21 century politicians). Or was it Cicero?

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Well done! Welcome to the CM180 owner's club
Thanks, will be some time before it's put into service, will surely ask for lots of advice!
Pretty. Does the snow melt in those places?
Snow may stay on the highest tops. Travelling across Norway in spring is like going from summer to winter and back to summer, example, pictures below (from actual trip, dashboard cam) just short time driving apart. And a constantly varying road standard!

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 67.jpg
    67.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Not travelling to collect but I'll be taking another 1m dish down to France next Friday. It's inside the car at the moment - just - but that leaves not a lot of room for luggage let alone the third passenger so I'll be fitting the roof bars tomorrow and tying it on there.

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
Not travelling to collect but I'll be taking another 1m dish down to France next Friday. It's inside the car at the moment - just - but that leaves not a lot of room for luggage let alone the third passenger so I'll be fitting the roof bars tomorrow and tying it on there.

did you end up going france with the dish?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Yes I did. It must have been in the mid to late 90s as I used it (with an inappropriate off-set LNB ) to pull in TV1000, etc from 1W so we had something to watch.

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
ive got a mission to go to cheshire from birmingham to pick up the 90cm fibo gregorian dish

about 75 miles so will take about an hour and a half