How to get Astra 19.2 and 23.5

SeBsZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SUPER DarkBox Rev 2008 HD
My Location
Malta
Hello!

I am a noob in the area of Satellites and dishes and LNBs. I have really tried hard to find information about this but all I'm getting is general explanations about LNBs.

Apparently, someone told me that in my 2-LNB setup, one LNB is pointed at Hotbird and the other at Astra 19.2, and these two LNBs are connected to my receiver through a DiSeQc switch.

My question - I want to change my setup to receive Astra 19.2 and Astra 23.5. Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it? My location is Malta, Europe.

Thanks again!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, Firstly, what is your dish size?

secondly, which channels were you hoping to receive and from which transponders?

Thirdly, do you know which satellite your dish is focussed on?

If not, post a photo, and we''ll be able to tell you.

If it is on 19.2E, depending on dish size you could add another LNB virtually right next to the 19.2E one to get 23.5 E.

Depending on which satellite is weaker in your area, you may need to re-focus the dish on 23.5E instead and have 19.2E on the offset. Or with appropriate bracket, you can focus right between the two.

Rough guide footprint maps, for satellites can be found here:-

_http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

SeBsZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malta
Hi, thanks for your reply

I cant take a picture now, and dont know dish size.

There are currently two LNBs sitting next to each other

I know that if I select Diseqc 1 i get good signal strength on Hotbird satellite, and on Diseqc 2 I get good signal strength on Astra 19.5

Will that tell you enough? I can not get a good signal on Astra 23.5 right now...

EDIT:

I'm looking to receive these channels: http:// www. lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigitaal23.html

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, that is not enough info.

For 13E and 19E, the LNBs will always be next to each other.

The diseqc switch positions are also arbitary for two separate LNBs, they could have been put either way round. ( With a monoblock, it is normally Hotbird on 1)

To measure your dish, take the measure accross it horizonatally at the widest part of the face.

Have you tried pointing the dish at 23.5E? and couldn't get a signal?, in which case your dish is too small, or you didn't align it properly?

Looking at the transponders you want from 23.5E, I think aligning the dish on 23.5e might be the best option( with Astra 19E on the offset), but what transponders do you need from 19.2E?

Apart from Astra 1F at 19.2E all the other Astra sats at 19.2E are stronger than the 23.5E one you require.

SeBsZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malta
weird i thought i had typed a post- it wasnt ready but wanted to create a new line and i think it hit post quick reply. Didn't seem to appear though.

Anyway,

i went up on the roof but its raining and dark so i didnt go to measure it. It is circular and i guess its about 50cm in diameter.

I have not tried moving the dish at all yet. There are two LNBs and I thought one was "pointed" at hotbird and the other at astra 19.2, can you clarify this or how this works? Are the LNBs pointed at anything or are they just sitting there catching the signals. Is hotbird close to astra 19.2 since i can catch both - but why do I have to switch between diseqc 1 and 2 to get one of them?

As for the transponders:

http:/ /www .lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigitaal19.html

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
In addition to a multi LNb config, you can install a duo 4.3deg monobloc and focus on 23e or 19e depending on which head you place in it's holder, normally designed for an 80cm.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well, it looks like you are OK for the stuff on 19.2E that you want. However for 23.5E a 50cm is proably too small judging by the footprint. Try it if you dare, other wise an 80cm would be more like it.

With an 80cm focussed on 23.5E, with an offset LNB for 19.2E,you shouldn't have a problem. Actually I think you can buy 4.5 degree monoblocks, precisely for this purpose.

How it works is that the dish has a focus, the signals bounce off the dish and hit the focal point. However, if you have an lnb to the side a bit,say to the right (looking towards the sky) a satellite to the left of the one the dish is pointing too can be picked up as well, with the same fixed dish.

Have a look at this offset LNB guide

Live links are not to be posted because of the forum rules.http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/36127-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.html

SeBsZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malta
On that map - _http://www.ses-astra.com/medialib/content/Footprint_Graphics/Footprint_Graphics_23.5_East/0_astra_3A_Horizontal_M.jpg my country, Malta, is completely off the footprint - its the little island under Italy , near the bottom of the map

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Oops, yes, I did not check the Horizonal. Looks like you might need a slightly bigger one then, the verticals are OK though. Do you know anyone localy who can get it, and on what size dish?

SeBsZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malta
Hi,

I don't know anyone locally who can receive them.

I just checked and I only really need the first two transponders on that page I linked you to and they are both Vertical.

But, should I be looking at footprint graphics of "astra-1E-BSS-Vertical" or of "astra-1E-FSS-Vertical" ?

If I go ahead with this, with my current Offset LNB setup of one LNB focused at hotbird and the other at astra 19.5, which way should I move my dish?

Thanks again for all the help!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
This one

_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra1e_vb.html

You need to move the dish LEFT and DOWN a bit when standing BEHIND dish.

How far LEFT or EAST depends whether you are on 19.2E or 13E as your current focus.

SeBsZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malta
Hi, thanks again!

I have uploaded a picture, link: _http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=astra1evbjd2.gif

On that picture of the footprint, i have drawn an arrow pointing at Malta, where I am at the moment. Looking at the footprint, I am outside the footprint area. Does this mean I wont receive the satellite, or would I just get low signal and have a chance of getting a watchable HD image with my CURRENT dish? Or do I need to get a bigger dish to get a watchable image. I understand a bigger dish will give me a better signal, but for now, just to try, would my current dish give me anything at all when pointed correctly?

Thanks for the help, it means so much to me!