How to receive SkyTV in Norway

trigger_andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD Box, Laptop.
My Location
Norway
Hey all,
Im new here and Ive had a look around the site already and it's helped me get my Sky HD Box set up in a round about way! :)

I still have a lot to do and I have a few questions I would be grateful for some help with.

Firstly, now that the Satalite TV guy has been round this morning and installed a new Dish to my House I now have a very Strong signal, initially I got the 'no Default Transponder' message and after a Google search I stumbled upon this great site. I tried all the suggestions to get a picture but in the end I found that turning on the Single Feed Mode worked, but now I cant pause Live TV or record like I used to when I had Sky in the UK. Any suggestions would be great!

Secondly, Im sure this has been covered a multitude of times but I would like to take out a Sky subscription again. How do I go about this here in Norway? I have a UK address I can use for billing reasons but will I need to have a Telephone line installed at the UK address etc? Will a Sky Technician come to the UK address and try and install a new Dish and HD Box?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Andy

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
trigger_andy said:
Hey all,
Im new here and Ive had a look around the site already and it's helped me get my Sky HD Box set up in a round about way! :)

I still have a lot to do and I have a few questions I would be grateful for some help with.

Firstly, now that the Satalite TV guy has been round this morning and installed a new Dish to my House I now have a very Strong signal, initially I got the 'no Default Transponder' message and after a Google search I stumbled upon this great site. I tried all the suggestions to get a picture but in the end I found that turning on the Single Feed Mode worked, but now I cant pause Live TV or record like I used to when I had Sky in the UK. Any suggestions would be great!

Secondly, Im sure this has been covered a multitude of times but I would like to take out a Sky subscription again. How do I go about this here in Norway? I have a UK address I can use for billing reasons but will I need to have a Telephone line installed at the UK address etc? Will a Sky Technician come to the UK address and try and install a new Dish and HD Box?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Andy

You need a sub to record or pay a sky recording tax

You can call sky up (as long as you hide your phone number) and ask them to send you a card to your uk address, tell them you have a dish and box and you want a second hand contract, this gets round the need to have a phone line connected to the box

trigger_andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD Box, Laptop.
My Location
Norway
Magic! Thanks for the very fast reply! :)

Now, if I want mulit-room and would like them to deliver a second Box but not install a new Dish or set the Box up for me will they do that as well?

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
trigger_andy said:
Magic! Thanks for the very fast reply! :)

Now, if I want mulit-room and would like them to deliver a second Box but not install a new Dish or set the Box up for me will they do that as well?

Muti-Room you do need it plugged into the phone phone line but I dont know anyone who actually does have it plugged in

If you want them to provide a box, they will come and install it in the uk as I dont think they just send them out but you can tell them on the phone that you want 2 cards, one main and one multi-room, you would need to source your own second box though but it gets round the engineer visit in the uk

trigger_andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD Box, Laptop.
My Location
Norway
Great, I really appreciate this! Ok, lastly, the new Dish I had installed has a single LNB, Im not to technical but I guess for Mulit-room I would need two LNB's? The installed said I could get such a thing from the UK and swap out the single one he installed? Is this easy to do and where wopuld I find what Im looking for? Sorry for the vague question.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
trigger_andy said:
Great, I really appreciate this! Ok, lastly, the new Dish I had installed has a single LNB, Im not to technical but I guess for Mulit-room I would need two LNB's? The installed said I could get such a thing from the UK and swap out the single one he installed? Is this easy to do and where wopuld I find what Im looking for? Sorry for the vague question.

You dont need 2 LNBs just one but it needs to be a twin or a quad LNB

I`d invest in an "Inverto Black Ultra Quad LNB", you should be able to pick them up cheap enough

That is the same as your single LNB only it has 4 outputs for 4 cables, so you can run 2 cables to your sky+hd box and run another cable for a standard sky box in another room or 2 for another sky+hd box

Basically, it sounds like the guy who set up your dish hasnt given you what you need for your HD box, he should have added a twin/quad LNB and 2 cables to your HD box instead of one, no biggie as single feed mode will work, as you have said above, but when you get a sub, you can only record the channel you are watching untill you add a quad/twin LNB and turn single feed mode off

For a quad LNB, check out our site sponsors and ask if they can deliver to you http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/advertisers.php

trigger_andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD Box, Laptop.
My Location
Norway
Thanks for much for the info! I was charged £350 for the set up he done and any extra's would have mounted up fast so I just wanted the basic set up and him gone, haha. To run another line alone would have cost me £50! I can install this myself so Ill take your suggestion and go for the Inverto. I found it on a popular auction site for around 18. Not bad at all! Im away to have a look at the link you added and Ill see if they can deliver. Many many thanks for the advice!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Whereabouts in Norway are you as this is a fringe area for reception of BBC/ITV/C4/C5 etc? What size dish did you have installed?

trigger_andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD Box, Laptop.
My Location
Norway
Hey, I live in Stavanger. I had a 80cm Dish installed and get a great signal. I have full bars. I did try and use the existing Dish which was also the same size but I could not get a signal. The installer said I was getting a 'Special Dish' although Im sure he was just trying to get a sale outta me to replace the Dish I had.

Andy

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
You are extremely unlikely to get away with multiroom for long as both boxes must be connected to the same UK landline and phone back to Sky at roughly monthly intervals in response to an over the air signal from the satellite broadcasts. This is policed fairly well by Sky to prevent fraudulent use (against their terms and conditions) at either two different addresses or outside the British Isles. They will usually send two warning letters at monthly intervals once their computer has flagged your boxes as phoning home and if the boxes are not connected to a phone inr response to these letters then they will automatically change the multiroom £10.25 per month to the full amount you are paying on the main account.There is no way around this unless you can set up VOIP or similar (with modem access) that will tell Sky's servers that you are phoning from the same UK phone number that you registered the account with to Sky.

trigger_andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD Box, Laptop.
My Location
Norway
Thanks for the heads up! If I understand you right I could, potentially get a multi room set up in Norway if I pay an extra £10.00 a month? I guess the other option is to have two Boxes but no multi-room and whatever is shown on one is shown on the other? Would that work?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
trigger_andy said:
If I understand you right I could, potentially get a multi room set up in Norway if I pay an extra £10.00 a month?
Unfortunately not. The boxes have to be connected to a telephone line in the UK otherwise they will not be dialling a valid telephone number.

trigger_andy said:
ThankI guess the other option is to have two Boxes but no multi-room and whatever is shown on one is shown on the other? Would that work?
Two boxes with their own, non-multiroom, cards would certainly work but you would be paying for two full priced subscriptions.

BTW, the boxes work independantly even on multiroom. You're not tied to viewing the same channel.

A

archive10

Hi,

just checking that you really WANT Sky?

If BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5 etc, i.e. Freesat does the trick for you, then there is no need for subscriptions and boxes and phonelines etc.

Just get a Freesat box as a second unit. No phonelines, no subscription fees, just TV.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
And if you just want something that whatever you're watching in one room will show you in the other then all you need to do is run an RF cable with a Magic Eye thingy from your existing box. You will then be able to change channels from another room. No need for extra boxes or extra subscriptions.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
I wonder if I can jump in here with another couple of questions on this subject. I have a Sky account back home. My son is there at present until I get back and uses the system. So, can I call Sky, order another card with a full subscription?. I don´t mind paying for another subscription. I would take that with me when again away from the UK. I ask because last time I contacted Sky to ask exactly that, they told me that I was not allowed a second subscription to the same address.
If that is correct, is there a way around that?.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
It should be possible - I've done it in the past. You can always say it's a block of flats sharing the same address or something. Failing that, get a "multi-room" sub and then they'll revert you to a full subscription after you fail to connect both boxes to the phone line.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Last time it didn´t work because they kept insisting on a different or identifiable house number. As for multiroom they insisted on an engineer attending. Thank you I´ll give that a try again next time I am home and see what happens.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Captain Jack said:
Failing that, get a "multi-room" sub and then they'll revert you to a full subscription after you fail to connect both boxes to the phone line.
That's not a bad course of action anyway.

As long as you are comfortable with the prospect of paying two full subscriptions at some time just enjoy the reduced rate while you can.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Would be good, but as I said above last time I suggested multiroom as an alternative they insisted on an engineer attending. I will try again and see what they say.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, we cross posted there. As I was taking my time composing my reply you nipped in quickly!