How to record sky freesat?

andyg0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky freesat
My Location
hampshire
Hi all,
Probably an easy one for someone in the know....

I have sky freesat and a vcr, i want to ditch the vcr and get something to record sky freesat....pvr? dvd recorder? not sure what the best thing is,
please help?

Also do i need something for the EPG? all i want is to press a button/timer and for it to record.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There are several things to consider here. In no particular order of importance:

- You could use a Sky+ PVR, but you would need to pay Sky a tenner a month to activate the recording function if you dont subscribe to any pay channels.

- You could wait for BBC Freesat PVR's to be released which will be sometime over the summer

- You could connect a DVD recorder to your existing satellite box.

andyg0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky freesat
My Location
hampshire
A question, with a dvd recorder, will i literally have to press rec when my shows starts? or can i program/timer it? (maybe i need to buy something else?)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Never used one - I still use my faithful old vcr - and will do until it expires of terminal old age! :D

However Id guess that you should be able to use it much like a vcr

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
andyg0 said:
Hi all,
Probably an easy one for someone in the know....

I have sky freesat and a vcr, i want to ditch the vcr and get something to record sky freesat....pvr? dvd recorder? not sure what the best thing is,
please help?

Also do i need something for the EPG? all i want is to press a button/timer and for it to record.

I use a DVD recorder with HDD to record FTA and official subscriptions channels and it is the best method so far as I can make a DVD straight from the HDD if there is something worth keeping.
The Pioneer model that I have has an EPG gadget (GUIDE Plus+®) comes with a cable so that I can record using the EPG system that is transmitted from certain channels.
I don't use it as I prefer to record when I feel like it and it is not that difficult to learn howto.
With DVD recorders you can control how to format the standard 4.7 GB DVD-R media to between 1 hour-8 hours (best quality-Worst quality).
I use 3 hours formatting so that 2 films can be recorded without much loss in quality.
With PVR you can't make a DVD that easy. Conversion can take hours.

andyg0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky freesat
My Location
hampshire
Hi all,

I would like to get a pvr to record off sky freesat ( i don't really want a dvd writer as i have a decent dvd player and use a showcenter to stream avi's)

Can i use a humax model with sky freesat?
Will i able to set it to time a recording? (epg?)

Cheers, Andy

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
andyg0 - please do not start duplicate threads asking basically the same thing - it leads to duplication of effort when answering you. Ive merged the Humax thread into this one.

andyg0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky freesat
My Location
hampshire
Hiya,
I basically did a new thread as the question is different now, i believe people will bypass this now and i still don't know the answer! :-)
Unless you can help? :-ohmy

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Or get a hard drive PVR with a DVD recorder in it. It records from a scart connection to the hard drive, you can play back and pause etc, or if you want to make a more permanent backup then write it to DVD. Should be less than 100 pounds for a cheap one :)

jphili

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin monoblock and twin LNB on 80cm transparant dish rigged for twin reception from HB Astra 1 and 2 + TopField TF 7700 HDPVR + TwinHan VisionDTV
My Location
BE
It also depends a bit on how picky you are on the quality you record your stuff in.

A Sat Receiver with a built-in Hard Disk (PVR function) will give you the same quality as watching live. You get everything, including text and subtitles (multi-language is available on some channels as well). If you want to archive (put on a DVD) a recording, you will typically have to pass through a PC though. As to the EPG, most receivers and channels will have the Now/Next info and you can manually program a recording. For more advanced FreeSat EPG, you'll need a FreeSat certified box.

A more basic sat receiver can most of the time also be programmed to switch on/off at a particular time and channel. You can then program a DVD/HDD recorder to record at the same time, much as you would to record Sat with a VCR. Due to the conversion by the box to analog, and the conversion back to digital in the DVD/HDD recorder, you do loose some quality and you will always loose the extras

brichards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat.Panasonic Plasma PS3 Yamaha amp
My Location
Lancs
Hi,

Get a Panasonic DVD recorder with hard drive they have a button which is called EXT Link which you press and it automatically records the prog your Freesat unit is on.
Press EXT Link button again and it will stop recording.
Providing yor scart lead is on AV2 and you set it to link one in the menu it will go to AV2 and record as I said previously.

Hope this answers your question???

Brian.:)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
United Kingdom
I am so very confused by all this satellite stuff. So I found this helpful forum which will hopefully get me sorted out.

I have a basic Sky box with a basic Sky subscription.

What I want is freesat of some description with a hard drive PVR - all of this via the easiest and cheapest route.

Will this work: I buy a second hand Sky+ box off e-bay. I swap it for my current basic Sky box. I ring up Sky and tell them I have a Sky+ box and will they activate it at a cost of £10 a month. I then call up Sky Freesat and buy a card for £20. I then cancel my Sky subscription.

Or do I go with the BBC Freesat? But as far as I understand it, there is not a hard drive PVR satellite receiver box on the market yet. And will I also need to pay a man to come and fiddle with my dish?

I'd also like a DVD recorder built in, but no one seems to do hard drive - satellite - DVD recorders all in one. So, one step at a time...

Ta

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
If you already have a sky subscription when you get your sky+ box just phone sky and get the card married to it. As you have a sky sub you should no longer have to pay the £10 for record facility.