how to split freeviewn aerial? - help!!

atenal29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freeview, broadband + wireless router on laptop
My Location
Scotland, Stirling
I think its possible to connect 2 or even 3 TVs to one aerial to receive freeview but I just cant do it! We have external aerial, that can receive freeview and at a moment we get all freeview channels. We have TV with built in freeview so there is no digital box. We want to split aerial to be able to connect another built in freeview Tv (or even another2?) but we either get nothing at all or it freezes. We are using standard white splitters but maybe we should use the satelite ones, which are probably better quality. Would that work? any thoughts....pls help

leez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 9100 tm 1500 ci dm box 600 1 m dish polar mount 12 inc acuator v box 2 cas 3 dragon diablo gamma
My Location
england
you have either a conection problem or your input signal is not good enough to use with a splitter ..most people use set back amp if this happens ..

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
A passive device ie. splitter will reduce the signal. It's possible your signal at source isn't strong enough to allow for this loss. A pre-amplifier or set back as mentioned is the way to go.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
The easiest way is to use a TV Aerial booster/splitter, they're very cheap, and you just plug the Aerial into this and then you can run the cable where you want.
They plug into the electriacal socket and there is usually a dial allowing you to turn up/down the booster as required.
You can pick one up practically anywhere, from a supermarket to a DIY shop.
Check the number of outputs, you usually have a selection of 2, 3 or 4 models, just ensure you get the one that suits your needs the best.
Beaten to it !!!!!!!!!

atenal29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland, Stirling
Mickha said:
The easiest way is to use a TV Aerial booster/splitter, they're very cheap, and you just plug the Aerial into this and then you can run the cable where you want.
They plug into the electriacal socket and there is usually a dial allowing you to turn up/down the booster as required.
You can pick one up practically anywhere, from a supermarket to a DIY shop.
Check the number of outputs, you usually have a selection of 2, 3 or 4 models, just ensure you get the one that suits your needs the best.
Beaten to it !!!!!!!!!

Ok, let me get this straight- I plug the main aerial cable to the booster and run cables from booster to each individual TV, right?

Thank you for the advice

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
I have two TV's (one in the main bedroom, the other to the spare bedroom) running off of one aerial situated in my attic, just two cables connected directly to the aerial. No splitters involved at all. Why not try that first before investing in other equipment.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
irart said:
I have two TV's (one in the main bedroom, the other to the spare bedroom) running off of one aerial situated in my attic, just two cables connected directly to the aerial. No splitters involved at all. Why not try that first before investing in other equipment.

Except that your arrangement effectively is a splitter! Just not in a plastic casing or situated remotely from the Antenna.

But .............. if it works, it works :)

atenal29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland, Stirling
irart said:

I understand you get digital signal for both TVs, as I want freeview, not just analouge? thanks

leez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 9100 tm 1500 ci dm box 600 1 m dish polar mount 12 inc acuator v box 2 cas 3 dragon diablo gamma
My Location
england
honestly thats not the way above ..aerials are not designed to have two cables conected into the one aerial. its a good job its in the loft ..even though i have seen it done externaly and the end result was water inside the cap ...nevermind the lad must be a good reception area wheir you could get a good signal on a coat hanger ...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
leez said:
honestly thats not the way above ..aerials are not designed to have two cables conected into the one aerial. its a good job its in the loft ..even though i have seen it done externaly and the end result was water inside the cap ...nevermind the lad must be a good reception area wheir you could get a good signal on a coat hanger ...

They are good, though, Coat Hangers.

I mean, look how many Motorists fit them to their cars for Radio reception :D

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
irart said:

It will work worse like that, if the splitter is not broken it will give less loss on each leg than simply shoving two wires together.

This is because connecting the wires together causes an impedance mismatch, with each wire suffering a loss of approx 10 dB, whereas with a splitter it will only be about 4dB.

atenal29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland, Stirling
ok, thanks everyone for their input. So just to be on the safe side, can someone confirm that the booster is the way to go? and is it the same thing as amplifier, I mean does it work on the same basis, or I might need both?........

SST12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 Combo. 160G HDD. Technomate TM6902 Super Combo, 1TB HDD. 1.2Mtr Channel Master dish & Polar mount, Samsung LED HDTV's
My Location
Eastern England. UK
Try feeding the main aerial through your sat, DVD, video etc.. first then split the output with good quality metal cased passive splitters this worked for me, should work for you if the signal from your aerial is good, if not spend your money on a good aerial installation instead of an amp.

soOpersOniC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
Wiltshire
Robbo said:
It will work worse like that, if the splitter is not broken it will give less loss on each leg than simply shoving two wires together.

This is because connecting the wires together causes an impedance mismatch, with each wire suffering a loss of approx 10 dB, whereas with a splitter it will only be about 4dB.

Correct, and just simply using a booster might not work either because too much noise will result in breakup, you cannot polish a bad signal through amplification.

But if it works for you then great !