HTPC software

Allen1066

Reaction score
What software do people recommend for a HTPC. I also want to play DVDs as well as recording and viewing DVB-T and DVB-S.

First choice seems to be either Linux or Windows. I'm still undecided on even that. What are people's opinions ?

Allen

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow
Allen1066 said:
What software do people recommend for a HTPC. I also want to play DVDs as well as recording and viewing DVB-T and DVB-S.

First choice seems to be either Linux or Windows. I'm still undecided on even that. What are people's opinions ?

Allen

your asking two different questions there, what software and what O.S. defenetly not Linux, bugger all support for 5.1 cards and the like, have you ever used linux ?? its pretty ropey..have you considered windows xp media center edition ?..
i use...
windvd6 (best software dvd player)
my theatre ( looks like good dvb software)
and the soundblaster audigy 2 zs THX console for sound..(7.1) the dogs danglies...
Rob

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
lol, never heard linux called ropey before.

Linux (in a variation) is the most powerfull OS around.

Only problem is, ya need to no what your doin, coz things can get a little messy.

Ghost_inside2003

Reaction score
Hello,

I would recommend you to read the following Howto :

http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/myHTPC-TSReader.html

The software used is called myHTPC and has a very nice GUI, Remote Control support and TV Guide very similar to DirecTV and DishNetwork, it is not so easy to install and configure, but once you do it right you will be able to sit down and enjoy the fruits of your work.

Good luck.

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow
thanks ghost, and homer j, thats kina what i mean. most powerfull mabey, user freindly not.

reading the links ghost :>)
thanks rob

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
homerjay said:
lol, never heard linux called ropey before.

O-Ha O-Ha O-Ha Yes, very good.

That's one name for it, but I prefer 'Pile-of-poo'.

LOL, I've just deleted 5 paragraphs of insulting and frankly offensive text regarding Linux, which I thought the forum was best protected from reading!

Just my opinion of course :D

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
Ghost_inside2003 said:
Hello,

I would recommend you to read the following Howto :

http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/myHTPC-TSReader.html

The software used is called myHTPC and has a very nice GUI, Remote Control support and TV Guide very similar to DirecTV and DishNetwork, it is not so easy to install and configure, but once you do it right you will be able to sit down and enjoy the fruits of your work.

Good luck.

AFAIA myHTPC is no longer free...

bobnuts1

Reaction score
homerjay said:
try http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/

apparently supports skystar2 now... gonna have a play tonight!

So Homerjay, How did it go with Mediaportal?.

I downloaded it as well. But am currently stuck trying to get the SS2 configuration to scan transponders for channels. any clues anybody?

It does look like one very usefull piece of software thought.

Rgds

Richard

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
hmmm, currently it seems that although md plugins are allowed, softcams are not...

i had to enter transponder list manually, so i can see FTA channels but no encryted......YET

bobnuts1

Reaction score
homerjay said:
hmmm, currently it seems that although md plugins are allowed, softcams are not...

i had to enter transponder list manually, so i can see FTA channels but no encryted......YET

Well, you are still ahead of me. I have managed to have it scan 19.2 using the supplied .tpl file. But when I run the Myportal software I can see the channel names in the channel list but I cannot get the video to show in the little TV screen thingy. Radio channels not working either. Shame coz this software is starting to grow on me. Have you tried the Weather report page.

Rgds

Richard