hitman_77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax 5400z
elgato eyetv
mac osx 10.5.8
My Location
london, uk
hi i am a complete beginner with this stuff but i was given a humax 5400z without any cards and i am now trying to set it up with a sky satellite dish but i have no idea what frequency to use or if my box is "patched"

heres anything i thought was important

softcell version info
+ CAM ToH 3.0
Euro I-Chip version NEC V2.1

STB Status
H/W OAK 1&11 2.1
S/W HIC 1.05.00+
Device Driver HIC 1.05.00+
last update 4 march 2002
loader version H 2.08

i would be very grateful if anyone could help me out

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum hitman_77

Well it is actually patched I believe with a very old version of ToH 3.0, but that does not matter as there is practically nothing open with patches these days, everything is secure. The best you can hope for are free to air channels on 28.2/5 in other words freesat channels. What is not clear from your post is if the dish is and existing one or one you intend mounting your self.

If it is an existing dish that is pointing at the correct satellite then set your stb up for 10714 H 22000-5/6 then do a scan. and double check your results against this

_http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

If not then I refer you to the dish setup guides
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dish-setup-single-sat-multi-sat-motorised-systems/

hitman_77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax 5400z
elgato eyetv
mac osx 10.5.8
My Location
london, uk
yes it is an existing dish i have been using it with sky. also I'm guessing that i can find the new firmware from somewhere could you just tell me the name

thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
hitman_77 said:
yes it is an existing dish i have been using it with sky. also I'm guessing that i can find the new firmware from somewhere could you just tell me the name

thanks

What is the point Sky is totally secure? you don't need new firmware for FTA channels

hitman_77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax 5400z
elgato eyetv
mac osx 10.5.8
My Location
london, uk
oh.... i just thought i could just realign my dish or get a funcard card for it

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Most funcards are on windscreen scraping standby now, the remainder being only used for uploading new firmware to some CAMs.

There is pretty much nothing that can be achieved with your receiver and a card, bar watching free to air channels. Things have moved on since this receiver was king and the one package which is available on 1 West is probably soon to disappear, leaving card sharing as the mainstream hobbyists tool.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Well, the Diablo CAM I have here does still open a few channels, but I couldn't tell you if it will work in the 5400 (there were problems with the Dragon/TRex modules from memory), and of course you would need a CAM/card programmer as well.

You haven't said as yet what you would like to watch on satellite, and so I could not tell you whether the 5400 with a CAM will get you stuff that is worthwhile.

However for the price it would still be worth searching on e Bay for a CAM somebody else has no need of, even if it gives you just a couple of months viewing, but bear in mind, without a dish that steers over to other satellites, you may spend more time up the ladder playing about with a spanner.

satellitedave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400,Humax 2000hd,QS1080ir
Channelmaster 1.2 motorised dish.
My Location
N.W Lancs coast
The diablo will work fine in this receiver.