Humax iCord and Multi-Sat System Problem

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Still in planning. Expected: Humax iCord Receiver, 88cm Triax Dish, 2 Quattro LNB's, pointing at Astra2d and Hotbird8
My Location
Switzerland
I am in the process of setting up a system that involves an 80cm dish, 3 Quad LNB's, Four 4x1 switches, and 4 receivers.

For testing, I have been using a single port on an LNB at a time and running this straight to the Humax iCord. I have perfect reception and am pleased with alignment. The problem occurs when I run this through my switches. I have tried with two units and the same result. Obviously, I am also changing the Antenna Setup in the iCord backend and stating to use LNB A (B etc) so it controls the DiSEqC.

When I run through the switch, I get the 'LNB Short' error message. OK, the instructions say this means I need to replace the LNB or the cable. Tried, doesn't help. Also, same cables, running through a signal tester, results in crystal clear reception, so the switch, or control thereof... is the problem.

The switches are Axing (http://www.axing.com/katalog_en/Multischalter14.html) 4x1.

Does anyone know if this is an actual fault with the switches, or is this my failure to use a correct setting somewhere in the backend of the iCord?

I noticed that when I remove the cable from the iCord it gives the same message, so it leads me to believe that it is just getting no signal, either from an inability to control the switch (my bad settings?) or through a faulty switch (but with two tried?)

And yes, I always removed all power from system prior to connecting LNB's etc.

Any help appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Use a short lead a connect the switch on its own direct to the receiver and see what happens.

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Still in planning. Expected: Humax iCord Receiver, 88cm Triax Dish, 2 Quattro LNB's, pointing at Astra2d and Hotbird8
My Location
Switzerland
Thanks for your reply...

In the meantime I visited a Conrad shop and they assure me that you simply cannot use quad LNBs with 4 in 1 switches (apparently because they also have switches in them) but that is hogwash right?

Anyway, just to be clear... when testing with the switch I have had just one cable running from one port on one LNB (the LNB ports are not marked with any numbering) and no signal meters in between.
So 1.5m cable between LNB and switch, and about 8m cable between switch and iCord.

Should I test with a shorter cable? I may have read in a German forum that iCords have DiSEqC switching problems. Anyone aware of this issue?

Otherwise, let me know what to test next and I will reply as soon as I can check.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I think the time has come for you to do a circuit diagram of what your setup is or what setup you are trying to achieve at the very least and upload it to the forum server for us all to see.

Rolf has given you specific instructions and the length will not matter if less than 50mtr, I suspect you will need to setup the icord to use a diseqc switch in the configuration menu which I am sure it will have, somewhere, I doubt it will be plug and play.
A word of warning often diseqc switches are used with quattro lnb's if you are wiring them up as it they are 'quattros' then you will be getting problems although at this stage you have not yet got that far but that may be confusing the store you spoke to.
I am not overly familiar with multi lnb setups but unless I am mistaken with quad lnb (not quattro) you should have one lead from each lnb to each separate switch. Thus each switch will have 3 leads going in and one lead coming out to the 4 stb's. Each stb will have to be setup with lnb 1 for the first satellite which you would then scan, lnb 2 for the second satellite which you would then scan, etc for each stb you wish to install.

I had a quick look for a diagram but could not immediately find a suitable one so drew a quicky

Attachments

• 3lnb 4stb.JPG
    3lnb 4stb.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 66

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Switzerland
Hi Topper,

My diagrams are on paper, but I have found one online that is exactly as my setup:
_http://www.satlex.us/en/4participants-type_conf_4p_3s_quad.html

The LNBs are definitely Quad. The guy at the store here is an old fart and I don't feel like he has a clue what he is on about. He is also a stubborn old Swiss man... which can be a tricky variety to deal with at times.

The Humax iCord definitely has a DiSEqC control in the setup. I have adjusted it to use DiSEqC A (and also A(2.0)) in my tests, as appropirate to the LNB input used on my switch when running through the switch (also tested using different switch - same brand . and in different inputs).
When the switch is bypassed by directly connecting the LNB and Receiver cables (and disabling DiSEqC in iCord setup) everything works fine.

My theory is that this is either a switch problem (maybe an even more expensive Spaun will do it) or an iCord problem.
I intend to test this further tonight by using the switch setup with a different receiver I have. That should narrow the problem to either switch or iCord at least. But if anyone has particular knowledge of this issue, and if it is iCord related, i would love to get your input.

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Switzerland
I have tested the setup using a USB computer receiver. Works perfectly, all switching as expected. The problem appears to lie with the Humax iCord having switching issues. I am now following this line of query, but having little luck of finding a real solution.

Does anyone have experience with this receiver, or the others of the Humax family?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
AlmostsWISS said:
Does anyone have experience with this receiver, or the others of the Humax family?

I am surprised to hear it is Humax originated.... they have oodles of experience with multisat and diseqc switching etc, I find that hard to believe.

AlmostsWISS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Switzerland
Yes... so do hundreds of German speaking customers who have endlessly complained about it in Sat forums.

I am possibly getting close to a solution. Time will tell.

punjetas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Self installed 2 antenna (90cms)...1xfixed Hispasat..1xEutelsat/Astra etc(HtoH)...iCordXcr....Panasonic TV Xcr
My Location
Sussex
I've noted various comments by forum members re iCord Xcrs and have the following comment..........I too cannot get an iCord to o/put any control signal (Diseqc 1.2) to a "Superjack" "Vee Box.Somewhere I have missed the point re "USALS" the iCord spec states the system is available ...but surely one has to set it True/False.My Vee Box info states Diseqc 1.0........controls up to 4 LNB's...Diseqc 1.2 recognised by the Vee Box and all control is from the Xcr..(iCord)......Too good to be true??...Ive missed something somewhere?

Separate Query......Does anyone know,please,why when the iCord is in standby it switches itself on for a "system Check" at random intervals??????.I can understand the need for "EPG" u/dates but why so many "System Checks"

torkel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra & Hotbird
My Location
Switzerland
Hello AlmostsWISS

did you got a solution for this problem? i exactly have the same problem... icord, Ascing DiSEqC and now signal over the switch. it works fine with a direct cable to the LNB.

how someone can help me out....

lostinthesky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax iCord HD
My Location
Germany
As AlmostsWISS has stated previously there does seem to be a big problem even with dual LNB's
Do the hookup directly to the LNB there is no problem. As soon as you put a DiSEqC in the circuit the problem start and do not stop.