My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post and hope my english is not too bad.

This is my system:

-AthlonX 3700+
-ABIT KN8-SLI
-PNY Geforce 7800GT
-160GB Hdd
-512 RAM
-Skystar 2
-80cm solid satellite dish, 2x 0.7dB LNBs, 6 deg brkt
-4m f connection cable

I have installed skystar 2 and connected it to the dish. Installed progDVB 4.72.2, and now I have a problem with setting up the dish.

1. Can anyone tell me how to position the dish and what is the difference when I have 2 LNBs? What does 28E mean physically? Am i correct to say that only 1 transponder per LNB, and so what happens if I want to swtich transponders? Do I have to rotate the dish manually?

2. I have heard that you can decrypt encrypted channels using software like s2emu and softcam. What is the risk of using this function?

3. What if I am not allowed to set the dish outside due landlord restriction. Is there another way to get the signals?

4. Is it possible to connect a normal TV aerial (via f-plug) and watch normal TV on the computer?

Sorry for these newb questions, just want to sort all these out once and for all. Please help out!

Any amount of advice is welcome.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
welcome but
this is not your first post you asked this question 1hr ago,
please wait for answers and do not double post

at221

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
Sorry, my first post was a reply to some other post so I just want to make sure it is seen

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum at221

Like all :-newb s you are eager and enthusiastic but you really need to slow down a bit, you need to read relevant sections of the forum and you need to search for specific information using the above search routine. This after all is a self help forum. However you need to learn to walk before you try to start running

at221 said:
Can anyone tell me how to position the dish

This question I assume means can anyone tell me how to find a satellite?
Or is your question asking what nuts and bolts do I need to loosen to rotate the dish? Please clarify

at221 said:
and what is the difference when I have 2 LNBs

Normally means you can receive two satellites at the same time without moving the dish if lnb's are set correctly in the bracket.

at221 said:
What does 28E mean physically?
28 degrees East of South
at221 said:
Am i correct to say that only 1 transponder per LNB?
No that statement is incorrect, only one satellite at any one time per lnb unless it is a monoblock. Each satellite has many transponders and each satellite location can have more than one satellite for example Hotbird which has many 1,2,3,4,5,6 and now 7 soon to be co-located at 13degrees East when fully deployed and tested
at221 said:
and so what happens if I want to swtich transponders? Do I have to rotate the dish manually?
No not to change transponders that is only to change satellites assuming only one lnb.
Ok that is enough answers for now, you really need to understand the basic things first so I suggest you start reading the various forums especially the stickie threads the ones with a red dot

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
sorry topper over to u

at221

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
Thanks so much for the reply, I will keep looking at the "sticky" on the forum, but it would be great if you can tell me about point 3 and 4 as well. For point 1 I mean how to find a satellite.

I never knew this was such a big topic, too much stuff to learn!!!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
at221 said:
I never knew this was such a big topic, too much stuff to learn!!!

And you are not going to learn it all in one night!

Regarding the possible restriction imposed by your landlord, I suggest you check with him first and see what the response is then take it from there. There is no point in speculating and giving advise until we know what we are dealing with

Regarding 4 yes you can get a suitable pc card or USB stick see this thread here for the latter, you need to learn to navigate the forum effectively using the forum jump at the lower end of this page on the right to go to the parts of the board you need to read Nobody is going to spoonfeed you every answer to every question.

at221

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AthonX 3700+ CPU
ABIT KN8-SLI MB
PNY Geforce 7800GT GPU
SkyStar 2 PCI card
80cm Satellite Dish
My Location
Bath, United Kingdom
ok, got that~