IBC Amsterdam

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Just wondered if anyone else is going to the IBC show in Amsterdam next week. HD-TV is one of the big themes, so I guess I will finally see a what a big screen HD TV looks like in real life!

rkhsaw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax, dragon, Matrix, 4 dishes
My Location
France
I'll be going (for professional reasons as well as the night life !)
For all of you wanting to kept up with the tech news, IBC runs it's own TV channel and live streaming on their web site plus an excellent search engine to for reports/interviews throughout the show period.
Check out www.ibc.org

cheers :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I might make a surpise visit, see old faces, kick a few shins etc.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
After a lightening visit today (and no staying there for the nightlife :-( ), some things I liked:

* the ultra high definition TV demo from NDK
* the EBU stand comparing 720p, 1080i and 1080p formats - conclusion 1080i is crap (yes well it is on their TV, what do you expect if your flat TV is no good at converting interlaced to progressive scan for display?) and 1080p is really not much different from 720p.
* loads of satellite receivers capable of receiving HD DVB-S2 channels: Pace, Thomson, Kaon, Hyundai, Arion ...
* lots of demos of mobile phones showing TV

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Sadly, don't go these days - hence my late reply, hehe.

easysat - Would love hear about your experiences of ultra HD. From what I have read - people cannot distinguish the difference from 'real world' to ultra HD. Is this true? Afterall, its a staggering leap in resolution.

Oh, and how is DVBS-2 coming along ,-)

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BarMoo said:
easysat - Would love hear about your experiences of ultra HD. From what I have read - people cannot distinguish the difference from 'real world' to ultra HD. Is this true?

I don't think you can compare it to the real world because it's still only a 2-D image but it's very impressive all the same. For me it was more like watching a film at the cinema except that the picture quality was even better than you get with standard cinema film. Maybe you can compare it to the IMAX type images but on a smaller screen. It would be ideal for watching the World Cup at your local cinema.

By the way, I should have written NHK not NDK, anyway here's a site giving more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Video

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
easysat said:
Maybe you can compare it to the IMAX type images but on a smaller screen. It would be ideal for watching the World Cup at your local cinema.

What an excellent analogy:D It would be great for that kind of event - except, don't NHK only have one of these 'DIY' cameras attached to storage the size of a washine machine [read: wouldn't make for a very dynamic footy match if used today]:D

OT musings: I lived in Bradford when IMAX first came to the UK. IMAX image quality is stunning, to say the least: albeit, their presentation of Superman2 and Alien/Aliens (as a puny band across the middle of the screen) was a let down (sic). Mind, the audio quality made up for any misgivings.