j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
I have just moved from a Zone 1 dish to a Zone 2 jobby,

When I was playing in the garden the other night holding the new dish by hand (Balancing it on a garden wall for stability) I could get all sorts of signals (on the meter) Now its bolted to the wall I can only seem to get 28.2 :-ohmy ......... It has a clear view, bar the odd passing fighter jet :rolleyes:
The only thing I havent as yet played with is the Skew thingi on the LNB O-zzz

Also while I'm here, I have dialed in: 11836, H, 27500, 2/3 as a test & I'm getting the same shambolic result as I got earlier with my Zone 1 Jobby :confused

The overall signal strenth & quallity have risen ... Which is nice but I'm not out of the woods yet (See attachment)

Any suggestions ?????

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Was reading elsewhere J.M., some boxes do not show the quality in the manual tuning menu, it shows briefly, but then disappears, early Pace boxes are the worst I believe.

Are you getting dropouts on those channels still?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With regard to the other satellite, the skew is preset on the minidish LNB and is only really suitable for satellites between 13E and 42 East, anything further west and you will need to make some adaptation to the LNB case (The Skyware is fully adjustable though)

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Ahhhhhh....... Funnly enough this is a Pace 2200 ;)

& you are quite right! :) The signal quality does show for about half a second then disapears, mind you at the same time the transport stream changes just at that moment too. (I have no idea what the transport stream is or does, but I did notice it changes) :cool:
I have had the family watching out for pixelation, no reports of it yet..... The weather has been pretty nasty here tonight, raining really hard & that is usually about the time when my old dish used to give up completely & I ended up with "No signal being recieved" 'O'-red So things certainly have improved I guess :)
(couple of snapshots to peroose there)

I was looking mainly for 19.2 earlier, just so I could give my Analogue box a test run........ But I couldn't seem to locate it........ Not very practised at this..... Still find it quite amazing how a little "Tap" on the dish makes the meter fly around all over the place ;)

Is it a case of the bigger the dish the more precise you have to be with your tweaking?...... I'm not too sure how far 28.2 is from 19.2 ...... "Laymans Terms" A little tap to the left or swing it a bit & fine tune later?

Thanks for your patience :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Strangely enough, 19.2 is often found in error, even though it is weaker. It is higher on the horizon, so the dish needs to be tilted up slightly, also swung around to the right (looking from behind the dish)

It is only 9 degrees away, a relatively small sideways movement, look at a right angle and imagine 1 10th of that..

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Ok I'll have another fiddle tomorrow (See if the riot squad arrives :rolleyes: )

Is the horisonal line bannana shaped? Just trying to get my head round this :p

I worked in the elevator industary for a few years & never managed to get quite so dumbfounded as I have by this....... O-Ha

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes the horizontal line is curved, it follows the horizon, and hence the earth's curvature.

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Ok......... Do Polar mounts rise & fall inline with the curve as the dish pans ?

I'll get this even if it kills me.......... I know nothing about trigonometry does it show :rolleyes:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
When I rig up my motorised dish what sort of LNB should I get ...... (Remembering I'm Not an Arab Sheik) :p

I was looking in the CPC catalogue, they have a "C120" two piece jobby
nice looking :rolleyes: ....... Sorry I mean its a Pretty Colour ;)

What benefit would this configuration be to me ?

I was thinking "Ku" & Perhaps a bit of "C" band use