Inclined Birds ..

futumsch said:
I'm just in the middle of restoring a Jaeger 1224, giving it a coat of zinc paint, followed by Hammerite. I see it has pre drilled holes for the Elevation brackets, so I'm going to see if I can manufacture them out of some thick steel. Will be interested to see your pics moojuice..

i'm going to do the same as it looks like the paint is begining to peel on my 1224, i just regret not buying the motor with actuator. the predrilled holes saves time, we just need to make it like this in the pic.

I have a 12inch actuator so hopefully the dish wont hit the motor when going far west.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03082.webp
    DSC03082.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 74
well i've got the sat position stored found its in range and pulling in 11430h 6599 with good signal on my vantage x221, now to get the actuator fitted when I have time
 
futumsch said:
I'm just in the middle of restoring a Jaeger 1224, giving it a coat of zinc paint, followed by Hammerite. I see it has pre drilled holes for the Elevation brackets, so I'm going to see if I can manufacture them out of some thick steel. Will be interested to see your pics moojuice..

I bought my 1224 complete with elevation kit, but never installed it. :)

Still in it's boxes, if anyone is interested in the elevation kit, I could put it in the sales dept.
 
wod said:
the paint is begining to peel on my 1224, i just regret not buying the motor with actuator. [...] we just need to make it like this in the pic.
The 1224 is a crap design. The actuator adjusts the motor elevation rather than dish declination.
 
wod has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
 
this is my effort, i made it so it wasnt permanent (didnt have to weld the pole). at the moment its on the ground level play pole but if it works out, im going to mount it on the higher dish. at first i was going to use the cm lat adj bolt but this is threaded all the way up and caught on the bracket, so i made a smooth version. ive this fixed on 2E and use the motorised menu with a V box to change the inclination.
 

Attachments

  • P1030368a.webp
    P1030368a.webp
    383.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P1030372a.webp
    P1030372a.webp
    175.4 KB · Views: 71
  • P1030375b.webp
    P1030375b.webp
    114.2 KB · Views: 75
  • P1030369a.webp
    P1030369a.webp
    285.6 KB · Views: 68
purplemarina said:
ive this fixed on 2E and use the motorised menu with a V box to change the inclination.
Have you got any bearing/bushing in there or have you just left the mount loose?
 
at the moment theres no bush, i wanted to leave the mount standard while i test it. although i wouldnt say no and will see if i can find something to use if needed.
 
Well heres the pics of my Jaeger 99 motor with an additional superjack 12" actuator for elevation.

DSCF0542s.webp

A small length of shallow (21x41mm) slotted pregalv unistrut, with a few chunks taken out was slotted under the motor and bolted through the rear bolthole. An additional hole was drilled through and another bolt inserted to prevent any play. This mount, just like the 1224EL mount, moves the bracket for elevation and not just the dish. Despite this, it seems to work very well and I can now see Astra 1C @ 2East any time of the day.

Sat out in the sunshine earlier with two V-Boxes adjusting my limits so my TD110 dish doesnt wrap its self around the scaffold pole! Neighbours think im bonkers when I explained what all this was for!

Also, the addition of the Inverto Black Ultra quad LNB is a marked improvement on my old MTI supreme LNB.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0523s.webp
    DSCF0523s.webp
    39 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0516s.webp
    DSCF0516s.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0514s.webp
    DSCF0514s.webp
    108.8 KB · Views: 61
moojuice said:
This mount, just like the 1224EL mount, moves the bracket for elevation and not just the dish. Despite this, it seems to work very well and I can now see Astra 1C @ 2East any time of the day.
Yeah, it will work fine on 2ºE because that is almost due south. At the ends of the arc though it would be changing the LNB skew rather than elevation. Also moving the motor means the v-box count will be different on different satellites, whereas if you move only the dish, if you are 4º below the arc on 2ºE you will be 4º below on every satellite. If you move the motor that is not be the case.

Anyway the name of the game is to catch the signals that you want and that's what your modification is doing.
 
Aligned up to 1W and will get 2E when it gets on the arc, then I'll mess with elevation etc.
 
Huevos said:
Yeah, it will work fine on 2ºE because that is almost due south. At the ends of the arc though it would be changing the LNB skew rather than elevation. Also moving the motor means the v-box count will be different on different satellites, whereas if you move only the dish, if you are 4º below the arc on 2ºE you will be 4º below on every satellite. If you move the motor that is not be the case.

Anyway the name of the game is to catch the signals that you want and that's what your modification is doing.

i've been thinking of leaving the motor elevation alone and modify some how the adapter plate to remove the 2 adjustable brackets and use a small actuator to put the dish down or up.

would this work better ?
 
Moving the dish will give true elevation control at all angles.
This kind of setup is whats needed...
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSx77P_RKH4&feature=feedf goto 1:50 to see what I mean.
 
what I'm thinking is to mount the actuator on top of the plate and bolt to the adapter plate to move the dish forward/back as in this pic i've mocked up

dish I have is channel master, not the one in the pic so the actuator will need to be strong to hold it
 

Attachments

  • actuator idea1.webp
    actuator idea1.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 59
wod said:
what I'm thinking is to mount the actuator on top of the plate and bolt to the adapter plate to move the dish forward/back as in this pic i've mocked up

dish I have is channel master, not the one in the pic so the actuator will need to be strong to hold it
How is it going to slide. Are there going to be any bearing surfaces, or are you just going to leave it loose? Personally I'd avoid modifying the top plate because all the sideways force goes through it (the top plate is the one with the cotter pin, while the bottom one just bolts on). Why not do it the other way around, with the actuator below, replacing the bottom plate and have a rod end either side on the top plate to act as bearing surfaces to the up and down movement, but strong enough to take the sideways force without allowing any play.
 
Locked it! Now I need to find an easy way of moving it up and down without an actuator
 
Nice bit of snooker :)

11283 H 5925
 
I was going to make a long and detailed post about the elevation angles per hour and how I track it manually but my PC logged off half way through, making me lost it and miss the Blackhawks goal. So after much swearing I'll write a shortened version.

From 9am to 9pm the elevation increases by 8 degrees so that's 0.6' degrees per hour or 0.01' per minute

From 9pm to 9am the elevation decreases by 8 degrees so that's 0.6' degrees per hour or 0.01' per minute

So Viper may be onto something. If a program can be created to increase the elevation by 0.01' per minute from 9am to 9pm and decrease the same amount from 9pm to 9am then the satellite would be tracked perfectly.

I'll upload a picture of my setup consisting of a Sky Zone 2 dish, a ladder and some tools tomorrow. My "manual inclination tracker". It works quite well by adjusting the elvation by 0.6' every hour! I did write a semi-accurate schedule but I lost that when I got logged off
 
fergyc said:
From 9am to 9pm the elevation increases by 8 degrees so that's 0.6' degrees per hour or 0.01' per minute
Look at the post by Channel Hopper. It explains why this is not true.

Here's a close approximation of the correct values. Time is UTC and the other three quarters of the cycle mirrors these values.
Code:
time  | Degrees
------|--------
08:13 | 4.2º
08:43 | 4.1º
09:13 | 4.1º
09:43 | 3.9º
10:13 | 3.7º
10:43 | 3.4º
11:13 | 3.0º
11:43 | 2.6º
12:13 | 2.1º
12:43 | 1.6º
13:13 | 1.1º
13:43 | 0.6º
14:13 | 0.0º
 
Couple of pics of my up and coming inclined setup.
 

Attachments

  • inclined stand.webp
    inclined stand.webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 1m echostar.webp
    1m echostar.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top