My Satellite Setup
Metabox 3 ; DM500s
0.6m Elsat Lnb Ku-band
1.0m.Dual KU Band LNB
3.1m K-Tronix Mesh Gospell C-band + Kombined KU LNB 4 way Diseq Switch
My Location
25'40'32S. 28'14'5E
Halo!
I`am sure you guys remember that I talked about a inline amp some time ago?So I took the plunge,and installed it!
I`am currently on BADR C-band with the KTI dish.I put it about 1.5m away from the LNB, before the 4 Way Diseq switch.Its a 16-20 dBM Sloping Amplifier

Signal before amp installed : 79 % Strenght ; 90 % Signal Quality
Signal After amp installed : 89 % Strenght ; 89 % Signal Quality.

So there is a effective gain of 10% in the strength ,with a loss of 1-2 % on Quality.
Seems like it was worth it?What do you guys think? :)
Karis

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Doesn't sound too promising to me. Signal strength means you've merely increased the gain to your receiver, with attendant noise, possibly lowering your quality level slightly.

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The proof of the pudding will be in low signal conditions on hard to receive channels. Your DiseqC switch will have something like 5db insertion loss and 15 metres of cable will lose around 4db at higher frequencies, so you are not gaining a dramatic amount, but may be enough to gain reception where before it was not possible. :)

slugworth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
gsky v7
My Location
New England
You actually made it worse.
You can aim the dish at the ground and still get signal strength,
it's the signal quality that matters.

karism

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metabox 3 ; DM500s
0.6m Elsat Lnb Ku-band
1.0m.Dual KU Band LNB
My Location
25'40'32S. 28'14'5E
Interesting replies..

Well,the gain is more than i bargained for,with only a signal quality loss of 1-2%.I think it works bloody marvelous,haha!Will see when the TRUE fringe reception commences!

Karis :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Are you getting more channels, and are the ones that you were receiving before the upgrade now coming in better/less dropout?

A line amplifier is useful when the LNB is of low gain (some good C band LNBs can be 50-54d:cool: , or the cable length is excessive. Otherwise they can degrade the signal.

karism

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metabox 3 ; DM500s
0.6m Elsat Lnb Ku-band
1.0m.Dual KU Band LNB
My Location
25'40'32S. 28'14'5E
Hi.
Its weird,on the Sat i was hopping around yesterday (Pas 7/10 C-band) I got a few additional channels.But on Arabsat there was no additional channels,but less sun fade etc.

Must say : Pas 7/10 c-band is giving me grey hair.There should be in the region of 105 FTA channels.I`am getting 5.WOO_HOOO!!!!

So i zoomed in on the next best one, Intel 902.NTV Kenya is showing some nice series!(I was a little bored later on,so SABC`s NAGV got poked at,and "fixed!"

Karis

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
There is no way an amplifier will get you weak channels or improve them if your LNB is not faulty.

It will only amplify the power, not the actual signal, and if you are unlucky you will overpower the system so strong satellites will have too much power into the receiver making the channels actually worse than before.

If you dont have 100 meter cable or more just leave out the amplifier.

Your only solution is getting a larger dish, look at the 3.8m KTI mesh dish or even the 4.8m Orbitron mesh dish, both good dishes.

R

Rd100

As likvid said the amp will not give you any more signal
Likvid said:
There is no way an amplifier will get you weak channels or improve them if your LNB is not faulty.

It will only amplify the power, not the actual signal, and if you are unlucky you will overpower the system so strong satellites will have too much power into the receiver making the channels actually worse than before.

If you dont have 100 meter cable or more just leave out the amplifier.

Your only solution is getting a larger dish, look at the 3.8m KTI mesh dish or even the 4.8m Orbitron mesh dish, both good dishes.