brown_philip

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
orbital dish - 90cm
telestart receiver
twin lnb
My Location
kent
when I just signed up I notice the registration page is not encrypted therefore password is sent in plain text whist registering.

just logged out/in and also see main login is not encrypted so all passwords are going out plain text to the www/whole wide world

probably need to get this fixed as it is bad policy

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
brown_philip said:
when I just signed up I notice the registration page is not encrypted therefore password is sent in plain text whist registering.

just logged out/in and also see main login is not encrypted so all passwords are going out plain text to the www/whole wide world

Are you willing to donate the money for a n SSL certificate?

I've been involved in a few forums on one subject or another, I dont remember any of them using SSL. You might be being a tad paranoid.

There are no monitory transactions going on here.

brown_philip

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
orbital dish - 90cm
telestart receiver
twin lnb
My Location
kent
just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after me :)

you could selfsign a certificate which is free or advise people not to use previous passwords that may be used for more delicate logins ie. banking

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
brown_philip said:
you could selfsign a certificate which is free or advise people not to use previous passwords that may be used for more delicate logins ie. banking

Whilst I take your point, there are always things that can be done however we already have a high percentage of people that are unable to complete the registration process you have just managed successfully and adding more complications will simply reduce the number of people registering. Most people fail to read the basics such as the rules, as previously mentioned there is nothing top secret going on here and advising people what passwords not to use is IMHO not required.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, Modshack did at one time attempt to use SSL when using some other type of forum software, but gave up after a couple of months for various reasons.

We've never found it really necessary and have never heard of any problems arising from the existing system.

brown_philip

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
orbital dish - 90cm
telestart receiver
twin lnb
My Location
kent
if cost is a concern for ssl certs, godaddy certs start at approx. £15 and these are automatically recognized by 99% of browsers

_https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ssl/ssl.asp

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
brown_philip said:
just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after me :)

Unfortunately, they still have to catch me before they go after you.

The only monetary transfers going on via the site are the donations (unless there is personal trading via the PMs), which if the PayPal system is used, their own https process is in place.

A beer token is a valuable thing however, so I will ask the local SEO for some pointers.

ynotdu

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also U P C Ireland
My Location
Ireland
brown_philip said:

brown philip,posted on another thread is warning about this site as McAfee Site Advisor gives an Amber warning about this site.Chris has asked for it to be reviewed/retested as have I.(I am just an ordinary member,Why not make a request for S/A to review their warning?