Installing Dishes In Spain for 2E Chit-Chat

  • Thread starter Thread starter Archive4
  • Start date Start date
It's the standard one DSS now sell.
 
I can't remember. I've been using them for about 3 years now. Just remember being impressed at the time. Maybe +0.5dB SNR.
 
I can't remember. I've been using them for about 3 years now. Just remember being impressed at the time. Maybe +0.5dB SNR.

Upgraded today to 5 ring feedhorn, not that impressed. Expected 13.5, only got 13.2!!!!!!!!
 
No. They go between the dish face and the back mount to allow for imperfections in the shape of the back mount. If you leave them out the dish face gets bent.

Do all the Famaval"1.4m" dish kits come with these rubber grommets?
I have been to a fair number that do not have them on...?
Laziness, forgetfulness, or not in the packet?

I cannot remember if the only one I got for testing and comparison did or not...
 
Do all the Famaval"1.4m" dish kits come with these rubber grommets?
I have been to a fair number that do not have them on...?.

They all have them, just some installers have long pockets, or short memories

Either way, there are about 4000 floating round the med at the moment!
 
Either way, there are about 4000 floating round the med at the moment!

along with all the rubber gaiters used for invacom PF lnbs which most tend not to use....
 
Do all the Famaval"1.4m" dish kits come with these rubber grommets?
I have been to a fair number that do not have them on...?
Laziness, forgetfulness, or not in the packet?.
Like Brian says they all come with them. I use the dish from DSS. Brian used to use the GI version. Both have these. But most installs I see they have not been fitted.

BTW, what dish are you installing?
 
Upgraded today to 5 ring feedhorn, not that impressed. Expected 13.5, only got 13.2!!!!!!!!
Test against the old one in a direct test. And BTW don't expect huge changes, these are small nudges, it's not like moving up in dish size. In the 2D days if you picked up 0.2dB that might have been enough to keep you up and running 24 hours.
 
Like Brian says they all come with them. I use the dish from DSS. Brian used to use the GI version. Both have these. But most installs I see they have not been fitted.

BTW, what dish are you installing?

Cheers

I use the tecatel 125x135 dish, which I have found performs the same, if not slightly better than the famaval dishes, which is advertised "outperforms any other 1.4m dish on the market", I have been called out to.
Well in my area anyway.
 
I use the tecatel 125x135 dish
Have you got a picture of the backmount?

But anyway if they've been assembled without the rubber spacers the performance is going to be pretty dire.
 
Thought that was the one. I hate that dish. Worst ever to adjust.
 
Thought that was the one. I hate that dish. Worst ever to adjust.

I like them, a lot more than the famavals - they even feel more robust in their manufacture - true they may be a bit heavier, and found they do not warps as much as the fams do,
And they have been around for ages.

Disagree there - I find some of the triax dishes are the worse... really hard to fine tune with how their elevation has to be adjusted...
 
Yes, I think the Triax adjuster is awful too, but I'm comparing the Tecatel to the Famaval here. With the Tecatel as soon as you loosen the dish it changes alignment. Same when you tighten it up again.
 
Hi Joddle, if you followed me. Would like to speak to you relating your need to use attenuators on your set up.

I just changed my FTE 1.5 to a Famaval 1.8, actual signal strength dropped in dBuV, but quality s/n ( c/n on S1 ) went up. Obviously related to gain on LNB against noise amplification, and original signal being generated by bigger dish. In my case "Pick" s/n has dropped on the 1.8, as has actual dBuV, I assume this is being caused by the bigger dish picking up more signal from Badr. Need to work this out, but nowhere near needing to use attenuators.
 
I just changed my FTE 1.5 to a Famaval 1.8, actual signal strength dropped in dBuV, but quality s/n ( c/n on S1 ) went up. Obviously related to gain on LNB against noise amplification, and original signal being generated by bigger dish. In my case "Pick" s/n has dropped on the 1.8, as has actual dBuV, I assume this is being caused by the bigger dish picking up more signal from Badr.
Only SNR is important. dBuV is just measuring the output of the amplifier in the LNB. Plug a BU LNB into the meter without the LNB being mounted on the dish and you'll see what I mean.

Also Pick TV is on Astra 2A South so absolutely no way Badr would cause any noticeable interference, it's just too powerful. Maybe it is so powerful it is flooding the tuner.
 
Back
Top