Installing Dishes In Spain for 2E Chit-Chat

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Como siempre, todos los antenistas no son iguales por suerte, tengo un amigo que se dedica profesionalmente ("elMaestro" en foros), es instalador y el personalmente, aparte de avisar del cambio de satelites, el año pasado a sus futuros clientes, les recomendo esperar a que el Astra2E entrara en funcionamiento para ver los niveles de señal por la zona, sin saber nada
You can argue about this until the cows come home. You can't expect people to give up working for a couple of years every time a new satellite is ordered. And if you look at some of the ridiculous predictions in the lead up to this migration it shows that most of the installers where a lot closer to reality.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You can argue about this until the cows come home. You can't expect people to give up working for a couple of years every time a new satellite is ordered. And if you look at some of the ridiculous predictions in the lead up to this migration it shows that most of the installers where a lot closer to reality.
You'd be singing a different song if you were situated further south near to Gibraltar!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
You'd be singing a different song if you were situated further south near to Gibraltar!
The south is a completely different case. London is closer to Scotland than we are here to Gibraltar.

2F has been operational for over one year. My decisions were based on the output of that satellite. SES, the owners, publish identical footprints for both craft. And anyway even if 2E had been a disaster all installs would have still been able to continue BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 reception from 2F. And as time went on thing would only have improved as more transponders on 2F were switched on. And don't forget anyway it is just the UK beam that is problematic in any way. All the rest are easily receivable by anyone within 1000km of here.

A

Archive4

if you look at some of the ridiculous predictions in the lead up to this migration it shows that most of the installers where a lot closer to reality.

A few people in my area have been advised since 2e launch that they need 1.8/1.9 "to be sure of reception", I think someone locally has a garden full of such dishes.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
A few people in my area have been advised since 2e launch that they need 1.8/1.9 "to be sure of reception", I think someone locally has a garden full of such dishes.
Yes, and I saw one of those installs a couple of weeks ago in Algorfa. Dish fell off the wall after less than a week. And when he phoned the installer they wouldn't go back. They told him it was his problem because the wall of his house wasn't strong enough to take the weight. Fixings were just rawlplugs into hollow block.

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
Are those 2005 dishes still receiving all signals eight and a bit years down the line, or has a bit of tweeking been done?

Normalmente aguantan bien sus instalaciones sin tener que tocar la antena en muchos años, es un gran antenista.
Mide 1.90metros.:-rofl2
Los test de calidad son muy duros como podemos ver.
Pero como todo, alguna se que ajusto, en 28.2ºEste retoco una de 1.5metros en Madrid, ahora aguanta lluvia sin problemas, cosa que pocos pueden decir con esta medida de antena.
Antena, LNB y cable de calidad, es el truco.
-----------------------
Usually hold up well their facilities without having to touch the antenna in many years, is a great antenista.
Measured 1.90metros.:-rofl2
The quality tests are very hard as we can see.
But like everything, some are to adjust, retouch at 28.2°East of 1.5metros in Madrid, now endures rain without problems, which few can say this measure antenna.
Antenna, LNB and cable quality is the trick.

Fotos del analizador/Photos of the analyzer.
17:10 h Madrid (spain) 1.50m dish raining.

Attachments

• M_13_2_2014_BBC_1_W.jpg
    M_13_2_2014_BBC_1_W.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 52
  • M_13_2_2014_11053V22000.jpg
    M_13_2_2014_11053V22000.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 49
  • M_13_2_2014_11788V22000.jpg
    M_13_2_2014_11788V22000.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 43
  • M_13_2_2014_11817V27500.jpg
    M_13_2_2014_11817V27500.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 45
  • M_13_2_2014_12032H27500.jpg
    M_13_2_2014_12032H27500.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 46

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Pienso las antennas tienen mas peso que "el Maestro"

Mod Note: Please ensure Posts are in English (Or a Translation is provided) in this part of the Forum

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
Algunas referencias/some references +.
1.00m ....7-8Kg.
1.30m....<18Kg. (Gibi op130)
1.50m......28Kg. (Gibi op150)
1.50m......36Kg. (AMP)
1.80m......48Kg. (Cannel Master) Tururu 1993, I can not with these.

Normalmente se necesitan un par de huevos entre varias para montar estas antenas.
Normally a couple of eggs from several to mount these antennas are needed.
PS: Sin contar el soporte/Without the support .
v5t.gif

Attachments

• M_antena 1,80 chanel master 004.JPG
    M_antena 1,80 chanel master 004.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 94
  • M_ANTENA_1_80_SKY_II.jpg
    M_ANTENA_1_80_SKY_II.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 93
  • M_antena 1,80 chanel master 006.JPG
    M_antena 1,80 chanel master 006.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 94
  • M_antena 1,80 chanel master 017.JPG
    M_antena 1,80 chanel master 017.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 91
A

Archive4

Algunas referencias/some references +.
1.00m ....7-8Kg.
1.30m....<18Kg. (Gibi op130)
1.50m......28Kg. (Gibi op150)
1.50m......36Kg. (AMP)
1.80m......48Kg. (Cannel Master) Tururu 1993, I can not with these.

Normalmente se necesitan un par de huevos entre varias para montar estas antenas.
Normally a couple of eggs from several to mount these antennas are needed.
PS: Sin contar el soporte/Without the support .
v5t.gif

OK, so maybe "el Maestro" is slightly heavier than the dish without bracket. OK pienso es possible "el Maestro" tiene un poco mas peseo que las antennas, sin supporte.

Either way, I have an feeling some installers would not want to fit them where the pictures show them, so "hats off" to "el Maestro"

satpete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tecatel/s 1.35m offset dish , inverto black ultra quad lmb, ferguson ariva 202e and sky hd drx595 receivers
My Location
la zenia, costa blanca, Spain and Surrey England
Size Matters,
I know of at least three people in the last few days who have used a satellite company based in La Zenia, Costa Blanca Spain. This Company takes out full page adverts in the local free papers stating that they will provide a 1.37m Dish.
The dishes they install are actually only 1.30m. After being confronted at their office about this an engineer working for them got a dish out from stock, laid it face down (!) and measured from the back and included the lip. 1.35m!!! He then said that this is how we measure dishes and then quite arrogantly said that that was it.
As this is a large company I wonder how many other people have been duped by them without realising?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Size Matters, [...] I wonder how many other people have been duped by them without realising?
I'm guessing there is more to this story than you've posted. Customers don't get out tape measures and start measuring things unless they are already trying to find a fault. Did the company do the install?

satpete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tecatel/s 1.35m offset dish , inverto black ultra quad lmb, ferguson ariva 202e and sky hd drx595 receivers
My Location
la zenia, costa blanca, Spain and Surrey England
I'm guessing there is more to this story than you've posted. Customers don't get out tape measures and start measuring things unless they are already trying to find a fault. Did the company do the install?

Hi Huevos,

One of the three people mentioned was a female pensioner that had originally bought a 1m dish from this company last year. Obviously when 1n was switched off she lost all her UK channels and then went back to them as they were offering to replace the dish for 1.37M for a cost of 159 Euros. She had it installed but was still losing ITV and BBC channels. As a amateur and neighbour I've installed my own system so she had asked me if it needed adjusting. As soon as I went up to her top solarium I could see that it was not a 1.37 so I measured it and advised her - as her receipt said it was a 1.37 she should contact the company. She visited the company at their office in La Zenia where she was told that they measure dishes face down on the ground including the rim and was told, as I have previously stated, that the dish she got was as advertised. it is just sad when there are other companies that would have installed the size she had paid for. I have since heard more people on our urbanisation that have had the same problem with this company.

regards

Peter

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Well that is how all the wholesalers here measure a dish. That dish is sufficient to receive BBC/ITV. I have 1.1m dishes in Torrevieja that work fine, so if that larger dish is not working it must be adjusted wrong, or be occulted.

Menorca Man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ HD (2GB Amstrad DRX890) + Generic 1.65m x 1.5m offset with Opticum LQP-04H Quad LNB
My Location
Ciutadella de Menorca
Well that is how all the wholesalers here measure a dish.
Are you saying that it's standard practice amongst Spanish wholesalers to measure a dish from the edge of the rim, up over the dome and then down the other side back to the rim again? Why do that rather than simple measuring the true diameter? And from what you've said in another thread, if it's an offset dish, I take it they will quote the longest dimension?
Boy!! Talk about a can of worms. Are there no published standards governing measurement of the different types of dishes? What standard are dish manufacturers obliged to use? Do wholesalers, retailers and installers follow the same standards as the dish manufacturers? If not, then it begs the question, why not?!!

Deso

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Generic dish, Sky+ HD and Technomate TM5402 HD box.
My Location
Fuerteventura/UK
Are you saying that it's standard practice amongst Spanish wholesalers to measure a dish from the edge of the rim, up over the dome and then down the other side back to the rim again? Why do that rather than simple measuring the true diameter? And from what you've said in another thread, if it's an offset dish, I take it they will quote the longest dimension?
Boy!! Talk about a can of worms. Are there no published standards governing measurement of the different types of dishes? What standard are dish manufacturers obliged to use? Do wholesalers, retailers and installers follow the same standards as the dish manufacturers? If not, then it begs the question, why not?!!

If we had standardisation, in lots of area's, that would make things far too easy and do a lot of people out of work. :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I still see it as misselling....

A

Archive4

Well that is how all the wholesalers here measure a dish. That dish is sufficient to receive BBC/ITV. I have 1.1m dishes in Torrevieja that work fine, so if that larger dish is not working it must be adjusted wrong, or be occulted.

I do not doubt that dish can receive bbc and itv, but most do not include the rim. See earlier in thread

A

Archive4

Thanks to Huevos, I am no longer preplexed of Formentera. After the first attempt to fit the 1.35 "difficult to adjust" dish I took them back to my supplier and got the normal ones that I like. Still had problems because, trying to keep service to my friend, had shaddow on new dish, after re-installing LH110 to give service. "Lord thanks for the eclipse". Also had a problem with wall mount sloping backwards, which at 45 degrees to wall slopes dish offline. After adjusting with spacing washers to correct alignment now have working dish for my friend!

One pick of latest, high tec, equipment is added. Old pallet, some bricks and a few washers to ensure test pole was level!

IMG_0118.jpg