Installing Dishes In Spain for 2E Chit-Chat

  • Thread starter Thread starter Archive4
  • Start date Start date
when you got motorized PFA
Is there a difference In skew for Astra 28.2 and 19.2 to get better signal level
I remember that Astra 1 H was with offset
Whether or not it is PFA or offset is of no relevance to the skew. Astra satellites are skewed pre-skewed 7.5º. So looking at the dish from the front you need to twist the LNB 7.5º anti-clockwise from neutral skew.
 
Whether or not it is PFA or offset is of no relevance to the skew. Astra satellites are skewed pre-skewed 7.5º. So looking at the dish from the front you need to twist the LNB 7.5º anti-clockwise from neutral skew.

Hi H,

Well, if you add that +7.5 degs to dishpointer.com's 2F calculation of -18.7 degs for my location, that would put the other sites I checked and my smartphone GPS app inline (-26.2 + +7.5 = -18.7). Therefore it seems possible that these other sites and my GPS app have ignored the Astra satellites pre-skew. If that's the case then it begs another question - is Astra 2E not pre-skewed or has dishpointer.com forgotten to take it into account? Because, for that particular satellite, their calculation comes out at -26.3)!!

Regards
 
Dishpointer takes it into account. Compare with 26E and 30E to see ehat I mean.
 
Whether or not it is PFA or offset is of no relevance to the skew. Astra satellites are skewed pre-skewed 7.5º. So looking at the dish from the front you need to twist the LNB 7.5º anti-clockwise from neutral skew.
thank you for reply
but I would like to know If you have same skew position on lnb holder for both Astra 19.2 and 28.2 on motorized PFA or there Is a small offset between if you aim to get best signal level
when Astra 1H was on 19.2 It has an offset related to skew on satellite arc
 
What is the point of this non standard skew on Astra 2? Especially since Eutlesat 28A doesn't have it and neither do most other satellites and they don't seem any worse off for it?
 
Last edited:
Ok, maybe I'm thick or something but it still hasn't been satisfactorily explained to me why dishpointer.com's calculated skew angles are so different for two adjacent Astra 2 satellites, both of which are supposedly pre-skewed. Astra 2E and 2F are separated in space by a mere 0.2 degrees, yet dishpointer.com says the skew angle for 2E at 28.4E is -26.3 degs and that for 2F at 28.2E is -18.7 degs. Both dishpointer.com calculations are for my precise location in Ciutadella de Menorca.

To my non-expert mind there can only be one logical answer:
a) One of those two satellites isn't pre-skewed.
b) They are both pre-skewed but to greatly different angles.
c) They are both pre-skewed to the same angle but dishpointer.com has got it wrong for one of them.

So which is it?!
 
Last edited:
c) is correct

Phew, at last! Thanks Huevos. That's what I have been alluding to all along!! I therefore assume it's their calculation for 2E that's out of kilter.
 
Yes. LNB should be somewhere between 6 and 7 o'clock.
 
Brian, have you used any Ferguson 103 receivers yet?
I have set up three A103E boxes and they work well however the patch software is not as good as that on the A102E. On the A102E I am able to get all 28.8 channels in the clear whereas the A103E only clears the main channels. Can't understand why this is but suppose will have to await furthe patch updates.
 
I have set up three A103E boxes and they work well however the patch software is not as good as that on the A102E. On the A102E I am able to get all 28.8 channels in the clear whereas the A103E only clears the main channels. Can't understand why this is but suppose will have to await furthe patch updates.
What do you mean "main channels".
 
This drip, drip, drip of information is like pulling teeth! Let's see if we can manage more than 4 words in a reply.
 
Back
Top