Installing Dishes In Spain for 2E Chit-Chat

  • Thread starter Thread starter Archive4
  • Start date Start date
I thought it was a game of " guess " the next response! My guess would be

YES

Probably.

Genuinely interested in the advantage of this inbuilt skew when they first conceived the Astra system. The limited skew of Minidishes came a decade later - a physical limitation to lower costs, but does the oval shape of the LNB also limit how much it can be skewed?

And what about using a standard round dish - is signal strength compromised when dishes need to be heavily skewed?
 
Probably.

Genuinely interested in the advantage of this inbuilt skew when they first conceived the Astra system. The limited skew of Minidishes came a decade later - a physical limitation to lower costs, but does the oval shape of the LNB also limit how much it can be skewed?

And what about using a standard round dish - is signal strength compromised when dishes need to be heavily skewed?

Personally I can't see it will make any diffeence as the sat always "sees" a round dish whatever the actual shape is on the ground - and if this is so, skewing just turns the dish (at least for round dishes) around a bit - or maybe I have got this all wrong!
 
As far as receiving the signal this makes absolutely no difference. Just meant the LNB could be plonked in completely vertical in Germany which was the main destination of early Astra 1 transmissions.
 
As far as receiving the signal this makes absolutely no difference. Just meant the LNB could be plonked in completely vertical in Germany which was the main destination of early Astra 1 transmissions.
And I suppose to keep the new satellites at both 19E and 28E compatible with the old and interchangeable with each other they keep doing it.
 
Had a really weird one today.

Installed new 1.37 Fam and went to re-scan box (GI) on - off button worked, up - down button worked, Menu, etc etc....

But, after wiping memory before re-scan, went to re-scan the box. On this particular box you have to " save " the required sat by using the green button, which did not work! Tried another GI remote ( different model ) that didn´t work either......

OK, What next?.............

Changed batteries in original remote and all buttons worked ok, so was able to re-scan box for all new channels!

Guess GI boxes need Green Kryptonite!
 
Just been down to our villa in Javea to reinstall the old 1.2PF dish we used there in 2d days - thought it was going to be an easy fit as the mounts are still there - however there has been alot of growth over the past years and now the locaiton does not have clear line of sight to the sats. The old mount was a 90deg one designed to go on a wall - very heavy job with 55mm collar to fit the dish onto. So I think I need another vertical mount or a ground frame - are there any suppliers of such items in that area? and how much would I need to pay. The ground is really good - i.e. solid rock after about 1 foot of earth so making a non wobble base will be easy - all I need is the appropriate steelwork and a bag or two or three of concrete!
 
Most suppliers do 50mm or 60mm wall or ground mounts, 55 could be tricky. Can the "collar" be wound down to 50mm, or up to 60mm? if not, may have to be custom made! That will cost a "little" extra!
 
Brian is right (50mm or 60mm). Is the mount more less fixed size or can it be pinched down to 50mm? If not you're knackered and will need another dish. The dishes Brian and I are using work fine with a 50mm or 60mm mount.
 
Brian is right (50mm or 60mm). Is the mount more less fixed size or can it be pinched down to 50mm? If not you're knackered and will need another dish. The dishes Brian and I are using work fine with a 50mm or 60mm mount.

To answer Hueos - the collar on the dish is a pretty substantial lump and I doubt it would pinch in at all - the dish is a Tagra 1.2m PF and seems very strong and good quality and is in perfect condition so I don't want to junk it if I don't have to. I also have a spare invacom c120 LNB as well as the original LNB and feedhorn from the dish. (odd looking things) I feared the mount may be non standard but not down there again for a while so will take a photo when I go to see if anyone has any ideas - I suppose a sleeve may be possible - it could be welded to a 50mm tube. Ah well - will have to wait for a bit now but thanks for the responses.
 
If needs be, I have a friend who makes all sorts of things from metal, including customised mounts when I ask. If needs be, it can be done, but bet the mount is 50 or 60!
 
I will be sure to let you know when I next get to Javea and will measure the collar again - I know the tube it is mounted on starts at one diameter then appears to have been spun or formed down to a slightly smaller diameter for about 3- 4 inches which is where the collar fits onto. I wil try and remember to take a photo as well!
 
I will be sure to let you know when I next get to Javea and will measure the collar again - I know the tube it is mounted on starts at one diameter then appears to have been spun or formed down to a slightly smaller diameter for about 3- 4 inches which is where the collar fits onto. I wil try and remember to take a photo as well!

If all else fails, remove mount from wall and either my friend, or a local garage should be able to do a "cut and shut" on a standard wall or floor mount to accommodate the collar
 
If all else fails, remove mount from wall and either my friend, or a local garage should be able to do a "cut and shut" on a standard wall or floor mount to accommodate the collar

Thanks - it may come to that!
 
Does the Goobay quad you are using have the model number as 67272? I'm impressed with the Opticum quad so curious to compare it to that.

Yes, I know it has been a little while, but I ordered three the other day for clients. The no. is ..... A-No: 67272 for the product number.

Sorry it took so long to respond!
 
Yes, I know it has been a little while, but I ordered three the other day for clients. The no. is ..... A-No: 67272 for the product number.

Sorry it took so long to respond!
Thanks for confirming that. I was actually trying one out yesterday but while it is a good LNB the Opticum quad I'm currently using was very slightly better (only by about 0.3dB!) on most frequencies that I was interested in (I can't get the UK spot frequencies so can't comment on those).

For my setup (TD88, no UK spot) I find these the best LNBs in order of best to slightly worse:

1. Black Ultra Single
2. Opticum Quad
3. Goobay Quad
4. Black Ultra Quad
 
My tests was similar. on 28,2 spot beam.....tho the IBU single is dismissed...as its only a single output and useless for PVR's..and when multi output are needed...

from my 40mm Quattro LNB tests...
1...Goobay...Fab..but weak on Ch4 (10714)..?...and High output.!!..maybe better for long cable runs..?.....
2...Opticum....genrally good on all.....
3 Best germany
4 Octagon Pll

All very good LNB's.......hardly anything between all of them...Opticum was top on c5 and ch4HD.

at no 5 IBU quattro .......high output.....but low signal quality .....very disappointing performance ...as everyone recommends this make of LNB.......

...
 
Last edited:
My tests was similar. on 28,2 spot beam.....tho the IBU single is dismissed...as its only a single output and useless for PVR's..and when multi output are needed...

from my 40mm Quattro LNB tests...
1...Goobay...Fab..but weak on Ch4 (10714)..?...and High output.!!..maybe better for long cable runs..?.....
2...Opticum....genrally good on all.....
3 Best germany
4 Octagon Pll

All very good LNB's.......hardly anything between all of them...Opticum was top on c5 and ch4HD.

at no 5 IBU quattro .......high output.....but low signal quality .....very disappointing performance ...as everyone recommends this make of LNB.......

...

Most of us recommend the BU single, the twin is sh** and the quad just below average, from personal experience. Surprised the Goobay was weak on 10714, haven´t noticed that here.
 
Back
Top