Installing Dishes In Spain for 2E Chit-Chat

  • Thread starter Thread starter Archive4
  • Start date Start date
Diameter is 50mm. Not sure on thickness but plenty for at least a 1.2m dish. And they don't crush as the mount is tightened.
 
IMG_0303[1].webp

I know we get some stick now and again for the way we install dishes.

This is how the local, Spanish Gov Approved installers get the gas into your house!

Sign up now!
 
View attachment 70058

I know we get some stick now and again for the way we install dishes.

This is how the local, Spanish Gov Approved installers get the gas into your house!

Sign up now!
I've seen worse down there. In Los Balcones. Gas pipe went across the stairs. I've got some pictures somewhere if I can find them.
 
They even put the pipes through the guy's ceiling to feed the first floor. And indoor boiler in the garden. And no sign of any lagging even though half the pipework is in the garden. All arranged by the company supplying the gas. Completely wrecked the house. Burn marks everywhere including through the satellite cable (which was why I was there).

20140422_161158_resized.webp 20140422_161212_resized.webp 20140422_162104_resized.webp
 

Attachments

  • 20140422_162112_resized.webp
    20140422_162112_resized.webp
    118.1 KB · Views: 42
I never realised how good British gas were, looks like an explosion waiting to happen. Would like to here comments from gas safe engineers from the UK.
 
absolutely atrocious - did they pay the client to practice on their property!!
 
View attachment 70058
I know we get some stick now and again for the way we install dishes.
This is how the local, Spanish Gov Approved installers get the gas into your house!
Sign up now!

You do have to see these things in a proper perspective - for many town properties wher properties are in flats or terraces it is the only way to get the gas to where its needed. Very often the boiler will be at the rear of a property and as natural gas is quite new in many parts of Spain (butane bottles having being very widely used in the past - and still is in many places today), no facility was ever put in properties to accommodate a gas supply and there is normally no way to get a pipe through an old or even a modern building so when a new gas supply is connected its goes "over the top". Normally the pipe is encased where it leaves the ground outside the property to a height of two meters or more to prevent accidental damage. Its much safer to have the pipework outdoors anyway and they avoid going though wood or walls as that would make maintenance and checking much harder. Re boilers - the normal practice in Spain is to have a boiler on a terrace or outside under a small cover and they are normally not seen indoors as in the UK.

As for the later posts with the pipework pictures - well quite frankly, my 7 year old could have done better - and for that there is no excuse - and from what I have seen locally here it is not typical thank goodness.
 
the normal practice in Spain is to have a boiler on a terrace or outside under a small cover and they are normally not seen indoors as in the UK.
Yes. Complete waste of energy. And nothing is ever lagged. My mother-in-law has a 100 litre electric water heater in an open-air utility room. Always moaning about high electric bills.

TBH, they haven't got a clue about saving energy here, and now they even want to charge VAT on the amount of energy they think people are capturing with their solar panels.
 
Here our pipes were very well lagged when installed. The only problem being that the foam deteriorates to dust over time in the heat so has to be replaced every 5 years or so. I now box them in as well using plastic channeling - looks better as well!
 
Complete? You mean no hot water whatsoever comes out? Methinks you exaggerate...
I didn't say all energy from the boiler is wasted. I said a complete waste of energy. I.e. none of the energy being lost serves any useful purpose.

For example if an electric water heater is outdoors any energy lost is completely wasted. If the water heater is indoors, any energy that doesn't go into heating the water, instead goes into heating the room. I.e. not a dead loss.
 
Looks like your definition of complete is different to my definition of complete.

But I accept your revised take on the matter.
 
The workmanship on those pipework installations is atrocious. There's the overuse of solder, not wiping or cleaning the joints, no thought to the loses in pressure caused by the 90º bends, not clipped regularly enough. Nothing is level or straight, no sleeving through walls. I'd be ashamed to put my name to that work!
 
View attachment 72936

Something just for this weekend Sir!

Just a temp install!

Wow.....looking at the growth between the tiles I guess they are non-resident!!

Probably safer tied with rope rather than fixed to the upright post.....especially with our winds of late-!!
 
I've got one like that in Alicante port. Fixed it to the walkway post with a ratchet strap. Post is about 18 inches diameter. No permanent installs allowed. It's been fine for about 2 years like that.
 
Thinking of fixing dishes - I have recently put a dish up in Javea - its a 1.2 Tagra PF dish and pretty well made. The 90 deg wall bracket seems strong enough to hold an elephant. For the moment it is fixed to the wall by four large coach screws into plastic plugs in the blockwork. With all the recent winds I was wondering if there are better or stronger ways to do this. As this part of the wall goes into our underbuild, perhaps drilling completely through the wall and fixing a plate on the inside using long studs would be preferable? - I am always a bit worried when fixing to the hollow cinder block walls anyway although in this case at the top the coach screws go thorugh the outer block into the ringbeam so are pretty solid although the bottom ones just go into the hollow blockwork.
 
For all my installs now I 70mm x 14mm Fischer wall plugs and M10 x 80mm screws with 17mm hex head. Wall bracket takes six fixings. Works fine even in terracotta hollow block. Just don't over tighten. Hundreds of dishes now with this combo and no failures.
 
Back
Top