Installing Dishes In Spain for 2E Chit-Chat

  • Thread starter Thread starter Archive4
  • Start date Start date
Ouch. You can become really attached to animals. My sympathies.
 
@ Brian - Very sorry to read about your loss.
 
Thanks for all the supportive comments, and the thoughts of many who made no post, but know how I feel.
Billy Wizz lives on in my heart and mind, so I intend to live on in this forum!

While looking into a re-alignment today, the friend of mine, who lives next door, told me the wind nearly completely unbolted all six face to backmount screws on the GI 1.37 I put up for him about 18 months ago. I have had some that the top 2 have come loose, but not all of them. Thankfully, he is an ex-engineer, so replaced the bolts before the face plate blew off completely. He also advised me he put some silicon on the threads to stop them unscrewing again. Think this is a good idea, carry silicon or " lock-nut" to prevent this.

Has anyone come across the same problem with any other manufacture of dish? None of my Fams have done this
 
I have not experienced any bolt untightening on my 2.4 dish although it has experienced huge winds at times and the Tagra 1.2 which I use in Javea also stood for almost 15 years without any issues - in fact when I came to move it the bolts were still absolutly tight (not rusted just tight).
 
I have not experienced any bolt untightening on my 2.4 dish although it has experienced huge winds at times and the Tagra 1.2 which I use in Javea also stood for almost 15 years without any issues - in fact when I came to move it the bolts were still absolutly tight (not rusted just tight).

Don´t think this issue would apply to prime focus dishes. Bruce, my friend with the nearly faceless dish, did comment on the fact the rubber washers can allow movement. Not too many dishes have these, and if they do, not too many installers use them! But with the GI the backmount is not correctly shaped, so if you over-tighten the bolts you distort the dish face. The Fam backmount is correctly shaped so you can go as tight as " your little arm allows "! I have a theory that this inability to fully tighten the bolts on the GI version on first install is causing the current wind related issues.

Even if a prime focus dish did come with the rubber washers ( and I know the Fam 1.8´s do ) due to the design and angle to the wind of a prime V offset, I don´t think it would be an issue. Primes being bolted in approx centre dish along a circular line against off-set´s being top, middle and bottom!
 
I thought I had seen a conversation about this already !! cheers
 
Isn't the GI 1.37 a Fam dish anyway?
No, they are not the same, although they look very similar.

Back mount is different. GI needs a 60mm pole. Will not grip 50mm pole. Quite a few other minor differences.
 
Nice to see you are back and on form again Brian :)
 
TBH, I almost never see a Famaval or a GI dish with the rubber spacers fitted, even though both perform miles better with them in.
 
TBH, I almost never see a Famaval or a GI dish with the rubber spacers fitted, even though both perform miles better with them in.
Glad to say that the Marrafa I have just intalled has the 'rubbers' insitu ........hope u r well yourself H. :)
 
Glad to say that the Marrafa I have just intalled has the 'rubbers' insitu ........hope u r well yourself H. :)
Hi. How's things. See you've now got 3 big dishes in your description.
 
Hi. How's things. See you've now got 3 big dishes in your description.
Yep, great thanks and hope you have been a little bit busier with all those high winds we experienced!

The second 1.8m install was covered in this thread:-
https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/lucky-again-1-9m-1-8m-secured.164310/

and your comments previously re: the Marrafa dish have proved to be spot on......top inclination/declination much easier to use than the Famaval and also the LNB steel holder will obviously be better than the plastic equivalent. Seems to me that ground mounted dishes prove to be so easy to use and maintain.....as long as you have line of sight!!

Best wishes.
 
Thought they were aluminium rather than steel, but happy to be corrected! ( On this occasion )

Could ask Billy Joel, Allentown?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
H was advised today that 1.4 Fam dishes are no longer any good in Torrevieja. We all know they are only 1.3 when viewed from the sat, but I believe they still work ok in that area. Called a friend in Dream Hills, his 1.37! is still working OK. Have you had any complaints?
 
H was advised today that 1.4 Fam dishes are no longer any good in Torrevieja. We all know they are only 1.3 when viewed from the sat, but I believe they still work ok in that area. Called a friend in Dream Hills, his 1.37! is still working OK. Have you had any complaints?

Hi Brian,

Friend arriving tomorrow so checked his villa today....where u were'ish on saturday, rear of Mercadona, Torreta Florida.

1.4 Famaval all as before....good dB on both 10803 H and 10847 V.

respect-048.gif
 
TBH, I almost never see a Famaval or a GI dish with the rubber spacers fitted, even though both perform miles better with them in.
That´s because most of the installers think they are " licorice allsorts " and are a free gift that comes with the dish!
A little too chewy for me!
 
Back
Top