Intelsat 902 62E - London - Possibl? What dish size?

g212vkl

Member
Hi is it possible to get Intelsat 902 62E in NW London? What dish size would be required to get the best signal? 80cm? or larger? What type of LNB would be needfed?

Thanks in advance
 
Which channels are you trying to get? The Spot 2 KU band beam that transmits to Europe doesn't seem to have much on it. The African C-band stuff would need a dish a lot bigger than 80cm but I'm no expert in that band. It's also very low on the horizon in the UK so you'd need a good clear view to the east without trees or buildings in the way.
 
Not seen any reports suggesting success - aside from the size of dish needed to take advantage of the EIRP as estimated from the Footprint, one has to consider that the effective elevation is going to be so low that you wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance unless you could absolutely guarantee clear line of sight.
 
I can get a signal from this sat, but just a data signal on 11134H SR 2500 FEC 7/8, nothing else on the European beam apart from a Turkish music channel (allegedly) but can't get that signal. Everything else on this sat is either Iranian TV on a tight middle east beam in KU band, or the African stuff in C band.
 
SatSearcher said:
I can get a signal from this sat, but just a data signal on 11134H SR 2500 FEC 7/8, nothing else on the European beam apart from a Turkish music channel (allegedly) but can't get that signal. Everything else on this sat is either Iranian TV on a tight middle east beam in KU band, or the African stuff in C band.

O/P is asking for NW London, I hardly think line of sight would be a prospect myself unless extremely fortunate let alone dish size issues
 
Most of the Ku band channels are spot beams pointing at the middle East area, you would need a good sized radio telescope to get any back splash from the spotbeams off that bird in London.

I use this link to look at the available transponders on the satellite hXXp://www.lyngsat.com/intel902.html.

And this site to see if I'm in the footprint hXXp://www.satbeams.com/footprints?norad=26900. (better site then Lyngsat)

The pink ones are "C" band transponders, the orange ones are "Ku" band transponders, for London you can only get the "Western Hemisphere", "NWZone" and "Global" transponders on "C" band ( a 3 meter dish would be needed), for the "Ku" band you would look for transponders in the "Spot 2" footprint (at least a 1.5 meter dish for these).
 
But a clear roof shot or if you’re out in the open you may get lucky, I can get 58W on “C” band from my location (West coast US) if I knock down the gopher mounds and mow the weeds.
 
Terryl said:
But a clear roof shot or if you’re out in the open you may get lucky, I can get 58W on “C” band from my location (West coast US) if I knock down the gopher mounds and mow the weeds.
...
:-rofl2
 
Topper said:
I hardly think line of sight would be a prospect
It's 8º above the horizon.

Terryl said:
I can get 58W on “C” band from my location (West coast US) if I knock down the gopher mounds and mow the weeds.
So do I, at about the same elevation as you, but I had to top the fig tree.
 
Which channels are you wanting? If its the Iranian stuff or SABC in C-band forget it - not available in Europe due to the spotbeams in use
 
Τhe strongest signal by both polarities .

11555 V M.East beam 8.1 db
11676 H Europe spot 2 at 18.2 db extreamly powerfull .
 

Attachments

  • 11555 V 62E .webp
    11555 V 62E .webp
    29 KB · Views: 78
  • 11676 H  62E .webp
    11676 H 62E .webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 83
The channel required is Winners TVRO, Satellite: IntelSat 902 @ 62.0East, Frequency: 04047, Symbol Rate: 02222, FEC: 1/2, Polarization: Vertical (V). Is this possible on a 3.2M dish in Manchester, UK? it C-band.
 
Oje said:
The channel required is Winners TVRO, Satellite: IntelSat 902 @ 62.0East, Frequency: 04047, Symbol Rate: 02222, FEC: 1/2, Polarization: Vertical (V). Is this possible on a 3.2M dish in Manchester, UK? it C-band.
According to the published info it should be easy, as long as you can see the 6º elevation from where the dish will be located.
 
hi oje winners tv is very strong on 62E on 1.4m dish.cheers

[warning]Edited to say 1.4m, not 1.4cm![/warning]
 
I amazed at that - the power levels on the global beam footprint details on the Intelsat site would suggest a much bugger dish - nearer 3 or 4m!
 
Oje said:
The channel required is Winners TVRO, Satellite: IntelSat 902 @ 62.0East, Frequency: 04047, Symbol Rate: 02222, FEC: 1/2, Polarization: Vertical (V). Is this possible on a 3.2M dish in Manchester, UK? it C-band.

Your biggest problem is going to be line of site onto a satellite that has very low elevation in the uk.. You may well find L O S is blocked by houses, flats, trees, fences etc etc.
 
Analoguesat said:
I amazed at that - the power levels on the global beam footprint details on the Intelsat site would suggest a much bugger dish - nearer 3 or 4m!
Not really surprized. Lyngsat has it on the west-hemi, not global like KoS. West-hemi requires a 2.1m aerial, according to Satbeams... And that 1/2 FEC is pretty much bulletproof; on the Vu+ Duo you can still resolve it with just 15% SNR.
 
Analoguesat said:
Your biggest problem is going to be line of site onto a satellite that has very low elevation in the uk.. You may well find L O S is blocked by houses, flats, trees, fences etc etc.

I had that problem when I lived in the big city, the dish look right into my next door neighbors window when looking at 58W, he kept thinking I was trying to get a look at his wife in the shower by using microwaves, she was very cute but I couldn't get it to work that way, so I told him it was for satellite reception.
 
Huevos said:
Not really surprized. Lyngsat has it on the west-hemi, not global like KoS. West-hemi requires a 2.1m aerial, according to Satbeams... And that 1/2 FEC is pretty much bulletproof; on the Vu+ Duo you can still resolve it with just 15% SNR.

No chance of having a look here - 62E is behind a hill.
 
Back
Top