Internet settings

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I dont understand how to get my DB to connect to the internet. Im using hydra zeus 1.08 and obviously I want to have a go and download some bits and bobs to the box directly. I have two values for my PPP adapter DNS Servers where do I enter these? Nameserver and gateway?

I'm looking at doom9 guide but it doesnt quite click when he says " The Name server to be used is the one you use for your PC, once connected to Internet"

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are running through a router, then they are both the same, they should be your router address, if using Internet connection sharing, then they need to be your PC's address.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
rolfw said:
If you are running through a router, then they are both the same, they should be your router address, if using Internet connection sharing, then they need to be your PC's address.
Thanks rolf

So I have the communications on the DB set to:

When I run the internet sharing wizard it just goes to connecting then stays like that forever?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are you using a router or your PC Pete?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Pullet_Surprise said:
Thanks rolf

So I have the communications on the DB set to:

When I run the internet sharing wizard it just goes to connecting then stays like that forever?
1. Go to cmd line on your PC and type
ping 192.168.0.24
that will test that DB is on same subnet and can be seen on your LAN
2. I would change the DNS to be the same as that provided by your ISP. Yes, they often give you two server IPs in case one is down. Just type the first one into DSN field.
3. Start a browser on your PC. Type http://192.168.0.24
Do you see the DB home page?
4. If all these work, get a channel up on DB, press green button and see if you can download latest hydra control panel.
It will all work -- - just keep at it.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
haggard said:
1. Go to cmd line on your PC and type
ping 192.168.0.24
that will test that DB is on same subnet and can be seen on your LAN
2. I would change the DNS to be the same as that provided by your ISP. Yes, they often give you two server IPs in case one is down. Just type the first one into DSN field.
3. Start a browser on your PC. Type http://192.168.0.24
Do you see the DB home page?
4. If all these work, get a channel up on DB, press green button and see if you can download latest hydra control panel.
It will all work -- - just keep at it.
Thanks Fellas',

*Rolf
Nothing so grand Rolf I'm afraid

*Haggard

1. Yes that works okay
2. Okay does that mean I insert my DNS ip in the nameserver box and gateway stays as 198.162.0.1 as my pc
3. Yes, thats quite clever :D
4. It just says downloading for a longtime then I get an error message?

I must admit Ive given up trying to sort the motor for now and concentrated on the software side of things. I've changed my mind from what Ive seen so far Im becoming very impressed with the boxes capabilities :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
It will take some hard work, but if you stick with it you cannot fail to be impressed with it. :)

Set the IP addresses as Rolf says, i.e. what you had before - 192.168.0.1 - this is your 'router' address (even if your PC is doing the routing). You don't need to put in your ISP DNS. This way, you won't have to make any changes when your ISP does, or you change ISP etc.

I'm assuming that 'Nothing so grand Rolf I'm afraid' means you're running your PC as the router, and have an ADSL modem etc plugged into it's USB port?

Do you have the Internet Connection Wizard set up OK? Are you running a firewall? Are there any messages in the firewall logs? What OS are you running?

What other info do you have set on the Dreambox? You should have 'DHCP' unchecked, 'Enable Network' checked, and port set to '80'.

If all that is correct, then it's the PC blocking the outbound request for some reason.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Pullet_Surprise said:
Thanks Fellas',

snip

*Haggard

1. Yes that works okay
2. Okay does that mean I insert my DNS ip in the nameserver box and gateway stays as 198.162.0.1 as my pc
3. Yes, thats quite clever :D
4. It just says downloading for a longtime then I get an error message?

snip:D
OK nearly there.
Your LAN is working OK and your LAN will connect to WAN (= world) because your PC will link to outside world (it can, can't it?).
So the DB needs to find its way out, the same way the PC does.
The PC and also DB will go through yr dsl or cable router via 192.168.0.1.
However, the s/w in yr DB almost certainly has keys site url witten in text such as h**p://bestcamnkeys.global.mars
and to get them, this needs to be turned into a real locatable IP number.
Name servers convert words to IP numbers. Your PC doesnt have the glabal table, neither does your router. So give the DB a place to get the conversion. Any of the two dsn numbers given by your ISP should do.
Anyway, with new connection settings saved
Press green button, note date of hydra news
toggle to hydra set up, press, download latest control panel.
Failed? If so box still isnt talking to world.
If not failed, exit and go back into green. Date updated? If so, you are connected to world and the rest should work.
But if this doesnt work, then Sherlock-like we have traced the trouble to DB image. Or a full /var . . . . .!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you put your router IP in your DB, the ICS router is smart enough to pass the info backwards and forwards to your ISP's DNS. I set all my PC's (and my Dreambox) up like this, and it definitely works. :)

I don't have my ISP's DNS hard-coded anywhere on any box on my LAN. Not even on my ADSL connection. I just have it set to 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' along with my dynamic IP address.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
If you put your router IP in your DB, the ICS router is smart enough to pass the info backwards and forwards to your ISP's DNS. I set all my PC's (and my Dreambox) up like this, and it definitely works. :)

I don't have my ISP's DNS hard-coded anywhere on any box on my LAN. Not even on my ADSL connection. I just have it set to 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' along with my dynamic IP address.

I wont argue with that, but I have had and seen trouble with router and dsn set to same. I saw it at a special session with Apple during their expo when their wizkid couldnt link to outside world from inside Apple building.
It was down to just that.
I dont have a
'Obtain DNS server address automatically'
anywhere that I know of. Is it a router set-up option -- i.e. manuf specific?
In which case, not all of us might have it.
Anyway, I'll hard code dsn = 192.168.0.1 on my box and try it . . . .
thnx

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
haggard said:
I'll hard code dsn = 192.168.0.1 on my box and try it . . . .
thnx
Be interesting to know if it works for you.

I'm using a PC as a router, like P.S. so it's the DSL network connection TCP/IP property, like you'd have for any dial up connection.

'Obtain IP address automatically', and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'.

I know that this also works on some stand-alone routers too. Never known it not to work (other than a corporate network obviously).

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Be interesting to know if it works for you.

I'm using a PC as a router, like P.S. so it's the DSL network connection TCP/IP property, like you'd have for any dial up connection.

'Obtain IP address automatically', and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'.

I know that this also works on some stand-alone routers too. Never known it not to work (other than a corporate network obviously).
OK
Main router is a d-Link (wifi + 4 cable) dsl going to zen ISP
I set it up 2 years ago and once it worked, I didnt change it.
It didnt quite do what I wanted, which was 6 fixed IPs and NAT but I
guess I am safer with DHCP.
DB has short cable to Syslink
and with DHCP disabled on DB, both router and dsn set to 192.168.0.1
yes, it does connect OK. DB is fixed at 192.168.0.24

So thnx! one more pearl of wisdom added to the stack. . . .

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Cool. Nice one.

If you want the other boxes on your network to work the same way, you can.

Turn off the DHCP server on your router, and fix the IP's on your other PC's, Macs, whatever, and set the gateway and DNS servers to the router address as well.

Also make sure that there are no other DHCP servers running on your network.

Your router should do the NAT automatically.

Don't tell my kids, but there'll be an XBOX on the other side of my Syslink bridge along with my Dreambox in a couple of days too. :)

Great. I've always wanted a reason to have an ethernet hub behind my telly... :cool:

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Cool. Nice one.

If you want the other boxes on your network to work the same way, you can.

Great. I've always wanted a reason to have an ethernet hub behind my telly... :cool:

latest addon is to use the laptop in the corner of the kitchen to receive the DB channel by streaming. 7000 doesnt have UHF out, so I mozilla from PC to DB, click on vpid of channel and there is e.g. the 2nd game at 3 pm full screen.
(-|-)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, yeah I heard you can do that. This whole scene is so limitless ATM. I want to forget the LNB, strap the dish onto my microwave chasis and watch the football on that, whilst surfing the net as an OSD!

Actually, I'm joking about the OSD, I'm really looking for a microwave door that I can wear as a HUD visor, and a remote control for the cat.

:chthumb

neethan30

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
LOL, yeah I heard you can do that. This whole scene is so limitless ATM. I want to forget the LNB, strap the dish onto my microwave chasis and watch the football on that, whilst surfing the net as an OSD!

I have had a problem writing to dreambox through ftp, I can get all the folders but cannot add new files to the various folders var/scce, I have tried deleting some files, it would let me do that but when I try to put files back no luck,
I was considering using a cross over cable still trying to get it to work, any tips any one?

I have a dreambox 7000/ru dream image

192.168.1.24 is the set ip address

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
neethan30 said:
I have had a problem writing to dreambox through ftp, I can get all the folders but cannot add new files to the various folders var/scce, I have tried deleting some files, it would let me do that but when I try to put files back no luck,
I was considering using a cross over cable still trying to get it to work, any tips any one?

I have a dreambox 7000/ru dream image

192.168.1.24 is the set ip address

If you can ftp to DB then changing the cable to X-over wont change the priviliges or reasons why you can't then put files back. If I am replacing contents of var/scce, e.g. by putting a new rsakeylist in, I just drop the new file in and it will ask if you want to replace. Try re-booting. On most OSs, just binning a file doesnt clear space. Altho my ftp client tells me it will be deleted immediately.
Again, IP number doesnt matter if you can see the box.
What ftp client are you using?

neethan30

Reaction score
haggard said:
If you can ftp to DB then changing the cable to X-over wont change the priviliges or reasons why you can't then put files back. If I am replacing contents of var/scce, e.g. by putting a new rsakeylist in, I just drop the new file in and it will ask if you want to replace. Try re-booting. On most OSs, just binning a file doesnt clear space. Altho my ftp client tells me it will be deleted immediately.
Again, IP number doesnt matter if you can see the box.
What ftp client are you using?
smart ftp and i don't understand why it will let me delete files but won't let me put them back or upgrade...