Invalid smart card message?

ukmg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat HD (BBC version), Technomate 5400 on Hotbird 13E and some (!?) Eurobird 9E - all one the one multi-LNB dish
My Location
Central Scotland
Hi all,

I was hoping you guys could help me resolve a viaccess smart card problem. I've had the 5-channel INXworld card for a few weeks now, and in the main it works fine (and is decent value, imo).

However, twice now it has decided to not unscramble the channels on the package and instead tell me that the the card is an "invalid smart card" (although it is legit, and bought from a reputable supplier).

I am not Columbo, but it seems like a bit of a coincidence that this happens when I reload the official technomate software after having installed the alternative software versions for a bit of research..

I'm on hotbird 13E, Technomate 5400CI+. From what I've read on the web my card may need some sort of update when I re-install the official technomate operating system, but what can I do to speed up this "update" - or do I have to wait for the broadcater to send the signal I require?

You wisdom and insights would be much appreciated.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
ukmg said:
Hi all,

I was hoping you guys could help me resolve a viaccess smart card problem. I've had the 5-channel INXworld card for a few weeks now, and in the main it works fine (and is decent value, imo).

However, twice now it has decided to not unscramble the channels on the package and instead tell me that the the card is an "invalid smart card" (although it is legit, and bought from a reputable supplier).

I am not Columbo, but it seems like a bit of a coincidence that this happens when I reload the official technomate software after having installed the alternative software versions for a bit of research..

I'm on hotbird 13E, Technomate 5400CI+. From what I've read on the web my card may need some sort of update when I re-install the official technomate operating system, but what can I do to speed up this "update" - or do I have to wait for the broadcater to send the signal I require?

You wisdom and insights would be much appreciated.

I would try shutting down the bax, diconnect it from the mains, wait few minutes, reconnect again and swith box as usual.
Which CI CAM model are you using?
Can you give us the exact details about what you have read? Don't link to another forum please as this would be againt the rules.
I doubt if the provider need to do anything, as you are able to open the channels and you can also check the authorization details (start and finish of sub.)

ukmg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat HD (BBC version), Technomate 5400 on Hotbird 13E and some (!?) Eurobird 9E - all one the one multi-LNB dish
My Location
Central Scotland
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try to respond to the points you raise as best I can (noob, so please bear with me!)

I am using the embedded cam (emulator?) within the TM 5400. It's widely used and is recommended by the fairly well-known online retailer where I got the kit from. As I say, it works fine under "normal" use but my install/reinstall between "official" and "unofficial" software operating systems seems to cause the problem.

In terms of what I've read, I recall a forum elsewhere where someone was getting a similar "invalid smart card" problem on DigitalAlb (if that's the correct channel name!?). The posts suggested that the broadcaster updated software/security(?) on a certain date every month, and he was to leave his box switched on (not off nor in stand by) on that channel so it could "get" the update. As a noob, I have no idea if that's correct, but it would seem a bit of a burden/not v efficient way to do things?

Thanks again for taking the time to advise.

UPDATE: PS I've tried the disconnect/full power off then on again, but with hitherto no joy...

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
ukmg said:
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try to respond to the points you raise as best I can (noob, so please bear with me!)

I am using the embedded cam (emulator?) within the TM 5400. It's widely used and is recommended by the fairly well-known online retailer where I got the kit from. As I say, it works fine under "normal" use but my install/reinstall between "official" and "unofficial" software operating systems seems to cause the problem.

In terms of what I've read, I recall a forum elsewhere where someone was getting a similar "invalid smart card" problem on DigitalAlb (if that's the correct channel name!?). The posts suggested that the broadcaster updated software/security(?) on a certain date every month, and he was to leave his box switched on (not off nor in stand by) on that channel so it could "get" the update. As a noob, I have no idea if that's correct, but it would seem a bit of a burden/not v efficient way to do things?

Thanks again for taking the time to advise.

UPDATE: PS I've tried the disconnect/full power off then on again, but with hitherto no joy...

I don't think the DigitalAlb case is similar to yours, as it has a different encryption system (Conax?) and has a lot more channels.
It is possible that the embedded CAM is not working well due to the changes in the software.
If you have a CI CAM slot in addition to the embedded, then I would try a Red Viaccess CAM. Just make sure the smartcard chip goes on top.
Also try it without any other smartcard in the embeded, especially similar encryption (Viaccess).
Hope that this helps and that I haven't made you waste your money on another CAM that you might not need. :)