Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I think this is good (at least interesting) idea:

SES introduced the industry's first IP LNB

Published: April 22, 2013, 22:26 Yesterday | Author: editor
Satellite operator SES in cooperation with Inverto, Abilis and MaxLinear Inc announced. that was jointly designed an essential element for low-cost IP distribution of satellite television in the home - the first LNB that will deliver 8 channels on IP technology.
IP LNB is a prototype device that will provide 8 simultaneous channels of one of the transponders from the orbital position. These channels can be passed on via IP unicast or multicast for fixed or portable devices. Satellite signal is distributed via Ethernet, power-line communications (PLC) and the local wi-fi network (LAN). This technology can be used for FTA and pay channels.
IP LNB can be powered by the same Ethernet cable using Power over Ethernet (PoE), which significantly reduces overall system cost and power consumption.
The new facility will combine innovation SAT-IP protocol, Full-Spectrum Capture from MaxLinear (FSC) DVB-S2 receiver IC, TB 101 Broadcast Broadband Bridge (B3) Inverto SoC and software.
IP LNB technology was introduced at the conference SES Industry Days 2013 on 18and 19 April 2013 in Luxembourg.
Key features of IP LNB:
- 10.7-12.75 GHz Ku-band RF, compliant to SES requirements
- 8-channel Full-Spectrum Capture ™ DVB-S2 single-chip receiver
- Broadcast to Broadband Bridge ™ SoC
- IP and real-time SAT> IP streaming software stacks and protocols.
- Gigabit Ethernet LAN connectivity, Wake-on-LAN
- Power-over-Ethernet Type I, Less than 10W for 8-channel operation

Source: _http://www.parabola.cz/zpravicky/19218/ses-predstavil-prvni-prumyslovy-ip-lnb/

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
From memory Cat5E (and maybe Cat 6) can only - just - pass one 1080 HD channel at full resolution, so it's going to be eight twisted pairs from the dish unless they use the cabling in a different mode.

http://www.inverto.tv/about_us/?p=1&id=85&cat=34

NWW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD88 9E/13E/19.2E/28.2E 4x Inverto Black Octo's, 8x Diseqc
HTPC with DVBlink 4.5.2 TBS6981/Digital Devices Cine S2 + DuoFlex S2 with Hadu
Oscam with TNTSAT
My Location
Belgium
CH, Cat5E and 6 are Gigabit rated cables. A bluray (5x the bitrate of a 1080p channel of the satellite) takes 50mbps max. So you could theoreticaly stream 20 blurays, or 100 1080p channels.

Though if they stream the entire transponder, it is roughly the size of a bluray.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The figures I have here are around the 2 (US) billion bits per second , ( 2 gigabits per second (Gbps) / 2000 Mbps or two million Kbps/two billion bps) for a single 1080 source, though this is studio derived content, raw and uncompressed.

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Decoders: VU+ Uno, DR.HD F15
DVB cards: TBS6983, TBS 6925
Dish 1: Tecatel 1.10m
LNB1: Smart Oxid
Motor: Amiko DM3800
Dish 2: Gibertini 125L, with actuator
LNB2: Invacom QDF-031
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
Channel Hopper said:
The figures I have here are around the 2 (US) billion bits per second , ( 2 gigabits per second (Gbps) / 2000 Mbps or two million Kbps/two billion bps) for a single 1080 source, though this is studio derived content, raw and uncompressed.
Which is not the case for a Blu-ray, and even less for a satellite HD transmission (most of them have from 8 up to 15 Mbps)