irdeto1 dying out, any use for old cam?

speculatrix

Reaction score
My Location
East Anglia, UK
I've been off the scene for a while, so please bear with me...

originally I had mac and analogue pace motorised, then went digital to echostar ad3000, and then I bought a reflashable/original irdeto cam and reflashed it to freecam. I was happy, lots of good stuff to watch!

Then I had a permanent girlfriend and then got married and all my time disappeared... and didn't have time to keep the keys up to date, so gradually lost use of lots of channels.

Anyway, wife been ill so I've had lots of time on my hands, and today I downloaded latest freecam and (after big struggle to get win98 to run on my laptop!) re-flashed it to b019 today, then I installed lots of new keys... or rather realised that there's not much still running on irdeto.

Since irdeto is dying out, can I flash my cam to something which will give me more choice? I am willing to get a card programmer. Or am I stuck with the dwindling choice?

thanks for any ideas,
Paul

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A freecam can achieve reception of Nagra and Conax with the right Emulator and season interface, using the keypad is somewhat less effective

Hang onto it and let us know what satellites you can view with your system

speculatrix

Reaction score
My Location
East Anglia, UK
Channel Hopper said:
A freecam can achieve reception of Nagra and Conax with the right Emulator and season interface, using the keypad is somewhat less effective

I'm running motorised and can see from 42E to 40W, about 2000 tv channels in all, some of them might be worth watching :p

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Keep it and try it out on almost all satellites in the range you have with a season interface, or a Funcard, you will be pleasantly surprised

speculatrix

Reaction score
My Location
East Anglia, UK
Channel Hopper said:

Sorry for v long delay in replying!!

Anyway, I can see from 40e to 40w, I get a fair signal on most things - very lucky to have south facing garden.

I would also be happy to invest in an MR cam, but I reckon it'd be more fun and I'd learn more getting the irdeto1 cam reflashed. Could it do seca2 I wonder - given that seca2 has been the focus of a lot of interest lately!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can use your Irdeto cam with a season Interface, but your PC needs to be relatively close to your receiver, as the PC does the emulation of the card.

speculatrix

Reaction score
My Location
East Anglia, UK
I was about to say that wouldn't be practical, but then after a few thoughts, maybe it ain't. I do have a PC somewhat near the sat receiver, so it wouldn't be a big step.

hehe... I was just thinking that if I could attach a USB serial port to my chipped xbox, maybe I could run the season software on that :-)
:p

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Using a simple RS232 extension lead, or three, the pc can of course be in a different room. Ive seen runs up to 12m with no real detrimental effect, save the lump every metre under the carpet.

speculatrix

Reaction score
My Location
East Anglia, UK
ah, in which case it's very doable. all my PCs are running windows2k apart from the internet gateway which is linux (and too far away), I hope that's not a problem.
I think I'll go find me a season interface.
Wish you could see the big grin on my face right now. :-)))