mulls74

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish
My Location
Lingfield, Surrey
With ITV in the UK going FTA, has anyone heard if RTE are thinking about following suit? Would surely save them a lot of money and if the BBC can do it why not them?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Not going to happen anytime in the near future.

If anything it would cost them MORE money - they would have to negotiate new coverage rights, and pay for at least the whole of the UK instead of the comparatively cheap Irish rights.

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s serving 4 500s. 2 fixed dishes + 1 motor.
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
Thank you for your email concerning the availability of
RTÉ television. RTÉ is obliged under broadcasting
legislation to provide a free-to-air television signal
to as many homes as is possible in the Republic of
Ireland. We currently provide this service to over 99%
of households. This level of penetration is regarded
as universal and fulfils all obligations in regard to
distribution of our service.

Many households in the country choose to pay for the
reception of their television signal. This is their
choice. The primary motive is to increase the number
of television channels available to them. In order to
facilitate those households who access their television
channels via cable or satellite RTÉ is available on
all cable systems and on Sky Digital satellite. We are
open to the possibility of extending the range of
platforms carrying our signal. However we have to take
account of the cost of going on other platforms and
the demand.

RTÉ cannot broadcast into the UK as we do not have UK
broadcasting rights to many of our programmes. These
are either not available to RTÉ or would be
prohibitively expensive. On the other hand as the
BBC/ITV, etc. are entitled to provide a service to
people living in Northern Ireland their signal is
available throughout Ireland. There
is nothing RTÉ can do to change this. It is simply
unrealistic to believe RTÉ can either ignore the rights
issue or negotiate some kind of exemption."

mulls74

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish
My Location
Lingfield, Surrey
Never mind. I'm in the UK now - need to persuade one of the family to let me use their address and get an Irish Sky sub - I suppose I'd have to combine it with a UK FTV card if I wanted C4 and C5.
Apart from that is there any difference between the UK and Irish Sky package?

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
c4 & five are swapped for RTE1, RTE2, TV3 & TG4. All other channels are the same (including E4 & More4).
If you can't persuade your relatives, have a look at http://www.skydigitalcards.com/

freddy

Reaction score
Hi Butterbox,
99pc coverage? I for one can receive RTE terrestrial but the quality is very bad, and I know many others who can't receive RTE at all or who's picture quality is awful. Actually this isn't Free to air--we pay a TV licence for it.
As far as I can see RTE has no policy to transmit digitaly they just leave it to Rupert and cable companies, but remember we are paying a TV licence for this.
At the moment Sly is making money because RTE is available on their EPG
Would RTE like to indicate who is paying what for this arangement?
As far as the sugestion that RTE would be transmitting to UK haven't they noticed Sly has effective monopoly in UK and if Sly dont put it on their EPG in UK then its not a problem?
There are vast nos of Irish citizens living in the UK and Europe who would love to relax of an evening to Irish TV, at the moment I beleive this costs €300 or so, this is just mean spirited behavior by a National Broadcaster!
Bye the Bye--Does anyone know--was Ireland allocated a Sat pos under the origional footprint treaty? I keep meaning to check it out but--

mulls74

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish
My Location
Lingfield, Surrey
What I don't really understand is why RTE don't at least do a deal with BBC World or suchlike to have their nightly news bulletin shown. I regularly see ABC News and CBS News from America on Sky/News 24.
I know a lot more people who would tune into an Irish programme than American news.
By the way, what did happen to Tara? When you look at some of the total drivel that's around it's a surprise that RTE couldn't make a 'Best Of Irish' channel pay - even if it was only 100% RTE-produced programming and just ran in the evenings like BBC 3. You'd think they could sell ads aimed at Irish citizens/second generation etc to pay for it. I mean Live TV is still going and that must have tiny viewing figures.

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s serving 4 500s. 2 fixed dishes + 1 motor.
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
freddy said:
Hi Butterbox,
99pc coverage? I for one can receive RTE terrestrial but the quality is very bad, and I know many others who can't receive RTE at all or who's picture quality is awful. Actually this isn't Free to air--we pay a TV licence for it.
As far as I can see RTE has no policy to transmit digitaly they just leave it to Rupert and cable companies, but remember we are paying a TV licence for this.
At the moment Sly is making money because RTE is available on their EPG
Would RTE like to indicate who is paying what for this arangement?
As far as the sugestion that RTE would be transmitting to UK haven't they noticed Sly has effective monopoly in UK and if Sly dont put it on their EPG in UK then its not a problem?
There are vast nos of Irish citizens living in the UK and Europe who would love to relax of an evening to Irish TV, at the moment I beleive this costs €300 or so, this is just mean spirited behavior by a National Broadcaster!
Bye the Bye--Does anyone know--was Ireland allocated a Sat pos under the origional footprint treaty? I keep meaning to check it out but--

I agree RTE is forced subscription rather than FTA, however I have lived in many remote parts of Ireland and could always get very good reception with no more than a clothes hanger. I know some areas suffer with mountains etc, but they probably make up the 1%. The reason RTE can pick up rights to show football matches, movies and foreign programming so cheaply is presisely because they don't broadcast into the uk, and there obligation is only to provide cost-effective programming for the Irish mainland. They would have a hard time justifying a liscense fee increase to broadcast abroad.
There is though, as you say, a good case for an FTA RTE3 which would broadcast home-made programming, of which there is alot of good quality. This would more than pay for itself with advertising revenue.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ROI: No
NI: Yes

:-tree